2001 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Suburban:

2001 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Jul 222005

Suburban 4WD

On Tuesday, July 19th, I had 2001 Chevrolet Suburban serviced at a local shop, where I received my manufacturer's suggested 60K maintainence, which included an inspection of all my primary systems, including brake. No problems were reported. On Friday, July 22, 2005, I was pulling into my driveway at approximately 3:45pm. As I approached my driveway from the street, I began braking with the intention of parking in the driveway in front of my garage; however, rather than simply slowing down, my brakes instead made a strange vibration (sound and movement), and the brakes appeared to malfunction. I attempted to pump my brakes, but the "vibrations" continued and my truck seemed to "slide", even though I was now pressing on my brake pedal with all my might. My truck overshot my driveway parking spot, and crashed into my garage door. The vehicle destroyed the garage door, and there was front end damage to my bumper, hood, grill and windshield. The driver's and passenger's airbags did not deploy. Immediately afterwards, my neighbor and I inspected the brake fliud, master cylinder and visible systems, which appeared intact, and test drove the vehicle around the neighborhood, without further incidence. However, I did not drive the truck until 2 days later, when I drove on Sunday, July 24th, at which time the brake "vibrations" re-occurred as I pulled into a turn lane into a supermarket parking lot. I had the truck towed to the local Chevrolet dealership, and after their brake inspection, I was told that the ABS wheel speed sensor needed to be replaced, which would be at no cost because it was "under warrenty", and that they also wanted to replace my rear rotors, at a cost of over $800. When I asked carol, the service rep, if the wheel speed sensor could have casued my brake malfunction, she said possibly, but no definately. When I asked if the rear rotors could have contributed, she said no. No other braking problems were reported.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 042005

Problem with antilock brakes- longer stopping distances required when brakes are applied during low speeds. No incident has occurred

- Bedford Hts, OH, USA

Mar 012005

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Unwanted activation of the ABS braking system and increased stopping distance during low speed braking applications.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA