1.0

2001 Chevrolet Suburban fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Suburban:

2001 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Mar 302015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the fuel pump was disabled and the odor of fuel was present. Also, the contact indicated that the fuel gauge displayed inaccurate fuel levels while operating the vehicle and the service engine sensor light had illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V155000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 260,000.

- New Canaan, CT, USA

Jan 292015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Went to start my 2001 Chevy Suburban and it wouldn't start. I listened for the fuel pump to engage and it wasn't working. I checked the relay and noticed it was melted on one corner. I have researched this online and found several complaints about the same problem. Also noticed that GM has done nothing to fix this issue. I have been a GM fan all my life and would like to continue being one. Please recall this on going problem GM.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 012014

Suburban

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was shifted into drive and the vehicle failed to move forward. The contact also stated that the brake warning light illuminated. On another occasion while driving at approximately 5 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that the anti lock brake system failed and unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the anti lock brake system failure but the fuel pump was not replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 05V155000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- West Brook, CT, USA

Feb 122014

Suburban 8-cyl

The bolts that hold the exhaust manifolds down are breaking off at the heads and causing exhaust leaks. Which are in turn causing my catalytic converters fail prematurely. I hope GM fixes this massive problem with there ls V8 engines!

- Avon Park, FL, USA

Mar 292013

Suburban 8-cyl

I have owned my 2001 Chevy Suburban since January of 2008. I have replaced the fuel pump 3 times and today will be my 4th. I have spent thousands of dollars on the same part over and over. The last time it was replaced my mechanic advised us to keep at least 1/4 tank of gas in the tank which I have tried to do. But even doing this the fuel pump seems to go about every 15 months, just outside the warranty. Its ridiculous, there is no way I should be replacing fuel pumps at this rate.

- Alstead, NH, USA

Mar 052009

Suburban

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The contact had to depress the accelerator pedal and turn the key in order to start the engine. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection and they stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wasxahachie, TX, USA