2002 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Suburban:

2002 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 022016

Suburban

While driving home, on a highway, I approached a traffic light that changed and I had to hit the brakes to stop. The brake pedal went to the floor. After getting it home I checked the brakes and they looked as thought they should work (note it was inspected in Dec 2015 and passed). After more checking I found that the brake lines on the drivers side frame rail were rusted and had failed as that area was covered in brake fluid. I purchased my 2002 Z71 Suburban new that year and it has less than 66,000 miles on it now.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 102016

Suburban

All brake warning lights light up intermittently, I can make them go off sometimes by shutting down and restarting engine, but not always. Recall # 05V379000 covers same model year vehicles in the "salt belt" states, corrosion issue! my local dealer says there is no recall on this vehicle for brake sensor problems. Brakes still function normally even with all warning lights "on". I want this problem repaired under a safety recall! I can't allow anyone else in the family to drive this vehicle under these conditions. I am a mechanic, no one else in the family would know what to do if the brakes actually do fail while driving.

- Abbeville, LA, USA

May 082016

Suburban

Wife was driving the truck with her mother, went to stop and the brake pedal went to the floor - limped the truck home - checked master cylinder, added fluid and when we pushed the pedal, fluid came pouring out the corroded rear brake line - while no one was hurt this time, it is easy to imagine how it could otherwise been a disaster.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 212016

Suburban

The rear brake line failed for the second time and caused me to have accident. The issue is that the front brakes did not stop the vehicle and the brake pedal went to the floor. When this happened the first time 2009 the dealer changed the master cylinder and other brake components stating that is why the front brakes didn't work however this failure was exactly the same as the first incident absolutely no brakes.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Jan 152002

Suburban

The parking brake on this vehicle has never worked properly since new and now I get a rejection sticker in the state where I live due to this and then have to spend money to repair it and it still does not work. It will not hold even on the slightest incline. Very dangerous.

- Fries, VA, USA

Nov 172015

Suburban

Brake line has corroded and rubbed a hole in the brake line and leaded fluided. Has been replaced and is rubbing in same place on frame again.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA

Sep 282015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the anti lock brake activated without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

Sep 042012

Suburban

Brake line rotted out resulting in near collision. Second failure in Aug. Of 2015 both events were a near collision. This vehicle has been kept in near perfect condition as a hauler for my trailer, now fear to use as all lines look bad, should have been made of a non corossive material. Vehicle spent most of it's life in Vermont

- Toccoa, GA, USA

Sep 132015

Suburban

Driving in close traffic (bumper to bumper) uphill on two lane bridge, brake pedal just went to the floor, and no brakes! frantically, I worked the emergency brake to the top of the bridge. Going down the bridge I coasted (no area to pull off), once off the bridge and safe to pull over I did so. Nothing appeared wrong, so I tried the brakes a number of times, and decided I could make the.5 mile rest of way home. Once there, I found fluid level down over half way. After searching found hard bake line had holds in it. After searching my brake lines, they appear to all be rusted badly. In all the vehicles I've owned, I've never had brake lines fail like this. In searching the web sites I find that Chevy may have used inferior metals for their brake lines during this time frame. If this is true, why have they not taken care of correcting this issue? thanks, concerned.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Aug 032015

Suburban

My antilock brakes are going off at slow speeds, almost causing accident, going about 4-5 mph, need to know if my VIN is covered in recall

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Jul 312015

Suburban

Driving down L street in omaha, Nebraska approaching 96th street. Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and vehicle would not stop. I was able to pull to the side of the road just before light at 96th St on a slight hill which assisted vehicle stopping. The brake master cylinder was low. The car was towed to yeck's auto in bellevue, ne. Had I been following other vehicles closely or approached a quick changing yellow light the vehicle would not have stopped. Yeck's auto has since determined the brake lines failed. After internet investigation yields that GM has known about this defect. No warning lights, no indication of a problem. This vehicle needs to be recalled. The vehicle has been serviced at beardmore Chevrolet in bellevue, ne at prescribed intervals since day 1. GM saying this is normal is frankly unacceptable. How many people have not been as lucky as I was on this day.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jul 272015

Suburban

Started vehicle put in reverse to back up and when applied brakes they pedal was soft and then went to floor and vehicle hit a tree. Brake lines are rusted severely.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Jun 172008

Suburban

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the brakes would pulsate and increase stopping distance. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 07V521000 (engine and engine cooling) and 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who replaced the crank shaft sensor. The vehicle was not repaired for the brake failure. The failure mileage was 113,204. Updated 6/8/15

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 232014

Suburban

Went to press on the brake pedal to put the vehicle into drive and the brake pedal went to the floor. I put the vehicle in park got out and brake fluid was coming out from under the car near the front of the drivers door.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Jul 272013

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Traveling on a 4-lane highway, 35 mph, approaching red light in line of heavy traffic. I applied the brakes and felt the pedal go to the floor. I stepped on the emergency brake and was able to stop the truck before hitting the vehicle ahead of me. Second incident: 2014. Traveling down hill toward stop sign. Same sequence of events as above. I can't believe that chev. Suburban sold in new england have steel brake lines! this is my 8th Suburban. First experience with rusting everywhere under chassis, esp. Brake lines.

- Milford, MA, USA

Jan 012015

Suburban

Coming up to a stop light I noticed I needed to push brake peddle farther down to stop. The same for each stop after that. I knew that another brake line had failed. I had two replace under hood about a year ago. This one is over frame midway back.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Nov 142014

Suburban 8-cyl

Vehicle was involved in crash after brakes failed, without warning indicator. Brake line was corroded through in engine compartment near bracket on frame.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Nov 102014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle was being driven on a public road and when approaching a stop sign there were no brakes or pressure on the pedal. Vehicle was put in neutral and coasted to a stop after some evasive driving to avoid other vehicles. The brakes failed again due to corrosion of the fittings. This is the second time with this vehicle. Now replacing all break lines to avoid taking any chances.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Mar 102012

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The brakes went out due to a corroded fitting, while backing a boat trailer/boat into the water. So no brakes, used emergency brake to stop. Vehicle was towed to a garage and the brake line fitting was repaired. On November 10, 2014 the brakes went out again while driving it. Again a corroded fitting. No accidents but resulted in vehicle being towed and now an expensive fix to replace all brake lines.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Nov 112014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Brakes failed today. Steel tubing was found to be perforated along the forward left portion. The remainder of the tubing is substantially corroded and appears subject to failure as well. I see that this failure is the subject of NHTSA action number EA11001.

- Scranton, NC, USA