1.5

2006 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Suburban:

2006 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Sep 302015

Suburban

Corrosion of hard brake line at driver / left side rear, partly hidden from view. Not seen during inspections. Condition discovered following surface roadway incident. Vehicle was stationary, in drive, pointed downhill at stoplight. Brake pedal slowly started going down. Pumping brake helped a bit, but soon the pedal started falling again and the vehicle started moving forward. Putting vehicle in park prevented vehicle from striking stopped vehicles in front. Got off the roadway shortly thereafter and discovered the corrosion and lead mentioned above. Vehicle is currently in repair shop with $1800 service bill. Body is required to be lifted off frame for replacement lines to be installed and that is *very* labor intensive. Researched online and found NHTSA has investigated these vehicles during their production run of 1999-2006 on C/K/Suburban/Tahoe models. Vehicle was purchased in Washington state, where salt is not used on roadways.

- Pacific, WA, USA

Mar 072015

Suburban

I was pulling into my driveway at approximately 15 miles per hour. My brake pedal went all the way to the floor and two of my dash lights illuminated (T/C (traction control), and brake light, also had the readout "service brake system". luckily, I was rolling to a stop in my own driveway and avoided hitting my other parked cars. I inspected the brake system and found that brake fluid was leaking between the ABS unit and the driver side rear tire (more specifically near the fuel tank) from the metal brake line. The brake reservoir was half full of brake fluid and completely drained within ten minutes of just sitting in my driveway. I inspected from what I could see concerning the underside metal brake lines; all brake lines are rusted and brittle and will need replaced.

- State Center, IA, USA

Sep 262014

Suburban

While approaching exit ramp in Delaware (exit 1A) traffic slowed so I began to hit my brakes to slow and all of a sudden the brake pedal hit the floor and I could not stop I almost hit the vehicle in front of me with the exception of fast maneuvering of which my dash cam caught, I swerved to the left lane to avoid a collision then hit the emergency brakes and got back into the off ramp then I realized that there was no break pressure and smoke bellowing from under the hood of my vehicle I pulled over to inspect and notice brake fluid leaking. I took the vehicle to national tire and battery where they informed me that I had a double front brake line rupture - I am having them replace (a $1000 job) however I've asked to retain the brake lines as proof.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Aug 132014

Suburban

I was driving with my friend and our 6 children and I applied the brakes when another car in front stopped suddenly. The brakes did not work and the pedal went to the floor. At the repair shop all the brake lines are brittle.

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Suburban 8-cyl

Driving at 60 mph and applied brakes hard to avoid hitting deer that came on to road. Vehicle began to slow then suddenly lost nearly all braking power as peddle went to floor. Went well past an uncontrolled intersection that was thankfully empty of traffic. Subsequent inspection revealed two burst brake lines where 4 lines are grouped on frame near back of front driver door. Severe rust.

- Central Butte , ND, USA