2008 Chevrolet Suburban body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Suburban:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

May 012009

Dashboard has major cracks around airbags and electrical components are exposed to the sun.

- Visalia, CA, USA

May 122010

Dash board has been cracking over the last 3 years. Even though a sun blocker screen has been used. Oil has been used weekly so that it does not dry out, when I wash it. But it started cracking more and more. Now the cracks are where the airbags are. I have reported it to the company last year but no response

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 012010

Dashboard has completely fallen apart and it is broken into pieces. If the airbags deploy (which airbags are also a recall), this pieces of dashboard can be deadly projectiles to my family. The dashboard started coming apart since 2010. I use my vehicle daily.

- Mission, TX, USA

Jun 302016

In 2008 it was hard finding a Suburban as a lot of dealerships closed already. So I found a dealership in glendale California. It was far from where I lived. When I was opening the sunroof it started going back and forth. I couldn't believe it. II had a long trip home and I was hoping that it would just resolve itself but it never did. I have told Chevrolet many times about this problem and you will find my records of how many times I had called them to resolve my problem but they never ever did a thing about it and it is still happening to this day. Also I had just noticed a few short months ago that I have fine little hair cracks showing up all over my Suburban. On the hood and on both sides of the car. I went to martin Cadillac in West los angeles that services Chevrolet Suburban and they had told me your car was probably repainted un-benoist to me. I have had other cars before this one that I have now and I have never ever had the fine lines of the paint cracking all over my car and I contacted Chevrolet on this as well and they said they could not do anything for me. I have seen paint fading away on cars but not cracking as my Suburban has all over the car. In this day and age, with all the sophisticated technology and the way things are done so much better now than ever before on somethings but not everything as I can see it on my Suburban. I contacted chey on this as well and they refuse to give me any help on this. I also had a problem with my brakes when I got the Suburban. As I came down a steep hill the brakes started to cause the whole car to wobble. I knew it was the brakes. I took my foot off the brake for a moment the wobbling stopped this was when I had my car for a few short months. Martin Cadillac's service manager said the paint cracking should not happening maybe glendale California repainted the car. Chevrolet has refused all 3 claims.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012015

Began noticing large cracks on dashboard, which has caused the entire front instrument panel to shift. Panel now sags 1/4" lower on right side. Cracks are also surrounding airbag locations. Should airbags deploy, the plastic could be very dangerous (ie, shrapnel) also, electric lift-gate has failed twice, falling while I am underneath it. I was not injured. Vehicle was stationary in both instances of the cracks and the failed lift-gate.

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Nov 202014

There is a big crack spaning the length of the driver side dashboard. Startsin the corner and over the instrument panel and getting bigger.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jun 012011

Two large cracks in dash, one over instrument cluster and the other where dash meets airbag. I noticed a very small crack approx four years ago and has now grown substantially. Researching this on the internet has shown this is a widespread problem with these vehicles, I am just one more complaining of a serious design flaw with possible safety ramifications.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jul 312014

The dashboard has cracked at the front left corner of the passenger airbag. It has also cracked at the instrument cluster. These cracks are extremely concerning, especially if I am in a crash. I am certain that the crack near the airbag will expand and create shards of plastic or worse, prevent the airbag from deploying properly.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Jul 012015

Suburban 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the dashboard developed two cracks. One was near the instrument cluster and the other was near the passenger side air bag. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000. MA 10/25/15

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jul 212010

Dashboard made a popping sound while I was sitting parked in the running vehicle. Small crack appeared just above instrument cluster. Over the course of the next two years, this crack got progressively worse. An additional crack has appeared in the forward corner around the airbag towards the drivers side. Both of these cracks are large and getting larger. They are in the same place that thousands of others have experienced cracks in these vehicles. It is would be come a hazard in an accident as the dash would most certainly crack further sending shards of plastic throughout the vehicle.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 012014

Drivers door has had trouble closing. Hinge was stiff and creaked loudly. Several attempts just told needed greased. So we continued to grease when necessary at home. Kept greasing the hinge. Finally the door would not shut at all around 90,000 plus miles when first noticed the door issue. Had to have someone come and help close the door. The door turned out to be defective metal and near the hinge the metal has torn across and thus lowered the door to where it does not close properly. A small weld was done to hold while I pursued help through Chevy to no avail as by then we were over 100,000 and told too late. I even had the body manager tell them no rust around hinge, defective metal. Now the passenger door has same issue. Windows are starting to have trouble closing since door off line.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Jan 202015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Dash board cracked while vehicle was not being driven.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 292014

I cut my finger on the interior passenger side door handle when exiting my vehicle last weekend. The metal lifted, making an extremely sharp edge. I emailed Chevrolet on Saturday in the early afternoon, but have not heard back from them yet. This is very dangerous, and I am not sure how to proceed. Thank you for your help!

- Stamford, CT, USA

Mar 292014

Suburban 8-cyl

Door handles are all coming off on exterior of vehicle on both of the front and rear passenger doors.

- Benton, AR, USA

Sep 142011

All 4 automatic door locking actuators do not work. The actuators do not work when the lock/unlock button is pressed on the remote. Locks do not actuate when the car is put into park or when the speed is attained that is set in the system settings. The only way to lock/unlock the doors is to manually push or pull the door lock. You can also unlock the drivers side lock by using the key. This is unsafe.

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Jul 222012

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the rear hatch lock was not operable and the vehicle was not equipped with a manual release button. The contact was concerned that it would be difficult to exit the vehicle in the event of an emergency or fire. The dealer was notified of the failure and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Mathis , TX, USA

Oct 082009

Suburban 8-cyl

Left and right rear exterior door handles broken/inoperable. Those were removed and replaced at dealership, but at half price (parts and labor) since I had gone over the 36,000 mile warranty. Since that time, I have had all four mounts on exterior door handles break making it necessary to open the doors very carefully so that the handles do not break off completely so I can open the doors. Also I have had to replace the actuators on the driver's door and the left rear door. Now the locks on all four doors work only intermittently, both by remote control and by manually using the master electric locks on front doors. I believe the problems with the locks and handles could someday cause a person's death, should they ever need to exit or enter during emergency situations (just use your imagination). GM should recall and address these problems immediately as this has been known about for years now!

- San Antonio, TX, USA