2008 Chevrolet Suburban electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Suburban:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302016

In 2008 it was hard finding a Suburban as a lot of dealerships closed already. So I found a dealership in glendale California. It was far from where I lived. When I was opening the sunroof it started going back and forth. I couldn't believe it. II had a long trip home and I was hoping that it would just resolve itself but it never did. I have told Chevrolet many times about this problem and you will find my records of how many times I had called them to resolve my problem but they never ever did a thing about it and it is still happening to this day. Also I had just noticed a few short months ago that I have fine little hair cracks showing up all over my Suburban. On the hood and on both sides of the car. I went to martin Cadillac in West los angeles that services Chevrolet Suburban and they had told me your car was probably repainted un-benoist to me. I have had other cars before this one that I have now and I have never ever had the fine lines of the paint cracking all over my car and I contacted Chevrolet on this as well and they said they could not do anything for me. I have seen paint fading away on cars but not cracking as my Suburban has all over the car. In this day and age, with all the sophisticated technology and the way things are done so much better now than ever before on somethings but not everything as I can see it on my Suburban. I contacted chey on this as well and they refuse to give me any help on this. I also had a problem with my brakes when I got the Suburban. As I came down a steep hill the brakes started to cause the whole car to wobble. I knew it was the brakes. I took my foot off the brake for a moment the wobbling stopped this was when I had my car for a few short months. Martin Cadillac's service manager said the paint cracking should not happening maybe glendale California repainted the car. Chevrolet has refused all 3 claims.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 132016

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle lost power and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 072014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. While the vehicle was in park or drive, all four doors failed to unlock and the key fob failed to unlock the door. In addition, while driving 50 mph, the check engine, stability track disengage, and traction control lights illuminated. The vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil spilled and caused the spark plugs to fail. The spark plugs were replaced numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Hamden, NY, USA

Mar 062016

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. While driving approximately 60 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated and the check engine light kept flashing. The braking ability seized. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power control module system malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 142015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My 2008 Chevy Suburban with 94,000 miles stalled while in traffic traveling at about 20 mph without warning. I luckily was able to coast it to the side of the road and after letting it sit for a short time it did restart again but only to stall again after the car ran for another 5 minutes again traveling at about 20 mph. I had it towed to my dealership and have been told that my crankshaft position sensor has failed. While my VIN and year is not covered, there is an active recall on this condition (GM recall no. 06083.). this is a very dangerous issue to have especially when traveling with small children in the car. The recall should be extended to other years who experience this issue for the safety of families.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

May 012014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Suburban. Consumer writes in regards to the disappointment in the manufacturer due to numerous vehicle repairs. The consumer stated the vehicle would run rough, the check engine light illuminated, the service stabilitrak and traction control lights illuminated when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters were not properly lubricated, causing them to fail. The engine consumed large amounts of oil. There were noises coming from the oil pan and transmission area, 3 of the 4 door locks actuators were replaced, the rear liftgate broke for the 4th time, the right retractable mirror was inoperable, the cruise control worked about 505 of the time, which was probably tied the throttle positioning sensor going bad as well. Also, the vehicle had significant electrical problem, where certain lights would illuminate on the dashboard, there was an audible clicking noise, that sounded like a relay firing very quickly.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Mar 142014

When I tried to open rear door, it would not open, due to door latch assembly going bad. Only knowing this is a problem after doing some research. Now I do not have the problem with not being able to open door at all, the manual switch still works, but I sympathy for them that don`T. I can just imagine if I had to get a child or a handicapped adult from the back seat in a hurry and the door would not open for me to do so. I have read on some other sites that GM is aware of the problem, and know the part is defective. I have also researched enough to know there is a new part number for the oem part. So if they know it is junk, make it right. A humans life over a hand full of money. Not tough for someone with feelings to make. I hope the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finds a way to make them to repair, replace, and if someone has paid to fix their problem, before it was recalled, reimbursement.

- Linwood , PA, USA

Sep 142011

All 4 automatic door locking actuators do not work. The actuators do not work when the lock/unlock button is pressed on the remote. Locks do not actuate when the car is put into park or when the speed is attained that is set in the system settings. The only way to lock/unlock the doors is to manually push or pull the door lock. You can also unlock the drivers side lock by using the key. This is unsafe.

- Erlanger, KY, USA

May 302012

Rear hatch door actuator went out. The door is in the locked position and cannot be opened with console button, key fob or exterior handle. There is no way to open the rear hatch from the inside of the vehicle creating a safety hazard for passengers riding in the 3rd seat. The rear hatch is not accessible for use since I is in a locked position and cannot be opened. I have filed a complaint with GM. Their cs representative contacted me to let me know that my local dealership can fix the problem at my expense. Tens of thousands of these complaints have been filed with GM over the last 2 yrs. And there has been no recall for this potentially fatal safety hazard.

- Mathis, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Suburban 8-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Suburban ltz in July 2011. Shortly after we purchased the vehicle 3 of the doors locks have stopped functioning completely, the 4th door works sporadically (driver side, passenger). The locks do not work at all with the keyless entry nor the main lock button from the driver side door. I have been told that it is a problem with the lock actuators malfunctioning and that it is also a well known issue from various dealers and per my research on the internet. In order to unlock the doors, I must manually use the key to unlock the driver side door then unlock all the other doors by hand one by one. Then we must lock all doors manually after entering because the locks also do not lock automatically when you take the car out of the park position. Although the power locks are a luxury, this also becomes a safety issue. A vehicle with an original asking price of over $55,000 should never have this issue and I'm not sure why Chevrolet fails to take action for a clear safety danger. As a mother of 3 children I find this to be a very serious safety issue. A child could easily open the door and fall out of the moving vehicle or if we were involved in a car accident any one of my family members (adult or child) could potentially be ejected from the vehicle, causing either serious injury or worse!! I realize the child safety locks can be activated to keep a child from opening the door accidentally, but that will not prevent a carjacker or anyone else for that matter from jumping in and stealing the car or kidnapping a child. In my opinion, their definitely needs to be a recall issued for this major locking malfunction based on my experience and hundreds of others I have researched.

- Washington, OK, USA

Aug 212012

Failure of power assisted door locks. Doors will not open with power switch. Solenoid has burnt out. GM has recognized problem with faulty parts manufactured in china. Replaced first solenoid that was close to being under warranty. The three other units that have now failed will cost $90 each to replace. Thousands of complaints have been filed with the ntsb and GM but the refuse to do a manufacturers recall.

- Milton, MA, USA

Aug 062010

Suburban 8-cyl

I'm having problems with the door locks. All of them goes out at some time. I'm not able to get into my vehicle with the key or anything. I'm afraid that there's going to be a time when I'm not able to get into my vehicle for something important or even to get my kids. There are a lot of people with this problem. I think this should be looked into for a recall. Please help! these power lock are defective.

- Silas, AL, USA

Apr 012011

Suburban 8-cyl

Driver side rear door lock quit working, shortly after that driver door quit lock quit working, took into dealer for repair, said it would be about $1000 for 2 door lock actuator replacements, a few months later the psgr rear door lock quit working.

- Afton, TX, USA

May 312012

Suburban 8-cyl

Door lock actuators fail causing doors to remain locked and inoperable. Several accounts on the internet claim multiple failures at the same time and or replaced actuators failing a second time. Vehicle can not be entered or exited easily in an emergency causing a safety issue.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 082009

Suburban 8-cyl

Left and right rear exterior door handles broken/inoperable. Those were removed and replaced at dealership, but at half price (parts and labor) since I had gone over the 36,000 mile warranty. Since that time, I have had all four mounts on exterior door handles break making it necessary to open the doors very carefully so that the handles do not break off completely so I can open the doors. Also I have had to replace the actuators on the driver's door and the left rear door. Now the locks on all four doors work only intermittently, both by remote control and by manually using the master electric locks on front doors. I believe the problems with the locks and handles could someday cause a person's death, should they ever need to exit or enter during emergency situations (just use your imagination). GM should recall and address these problems immediately as this has been known about for years now!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 112011

Driver's side front door lock actuator quit working completely. The passenger side front door lock actuator works intermittently.

- Ashdown, AR, USA

Dec 222011

Suburban 8-cyl

Driving the car on city street, let off gas to slow down, engine shudders, the instrument console flashes, indicates engine power decreasing, the radio stops working, the vehicle loses power, the stabilitrac indicates it needs to be serviced, gives rear camera/towing warning, the engine dies, brakes are lost. Immediately after engines dies starter will not crank. The car will start again after several minutes. Check engine light is on. After a drive of about 4 miles parked car and started next morning--check engine light is off. Engine quitting and no brakes could be dangerous. Intermittent problem.

- Norman, OK, USA

Aug 022011

Suburban 8-cyl

Engine stalls in traffic, rapidly goes from drive to park multiple times, door locks rapidly cycle multiple times, gauges flash, radio clock does not keep time. This is my 3rd report since August to your office for this problem. This is the 4th time since August our vehicle has been in the shop totaling more than 8 weeks. Chevrolet canżżT fix the problem and keeps trying to blame it on an after-market dvd player we had professionally installed. The dvd player was disconnected and suspected wires repaired by Chevrolet but the problem keeps happening. There are many others who are experiencing very similar problems. The NY times published an article summer of 2010 that you should read about this year group electrical system problems and you, NHTSA, are under fire in it. I am publishing the web link here to help bring more attention to this problem: the internet traffic is quickly increasing about this base vehicle frame/year group of trucks experiencing serious electrical system problems. At first glance most internet traffic points to the windshield fluid heater problem. When you dig deeper into the blogs and forums you start to uncover far more serious problems that people are experiencing.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 012011

Suburban 8-cyl

Battery goes dead every third day that the truck is not used. Battery is good.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Sep 082011

Suburban 8-cyl

After driving for approximately 3 hours the problem began: The door locks cycle repeatedly, the instrument console flashes, the drive position flashes from park to drive repeatedly, the radio stops working, the vehicle surges, and the stabilitrac says it needs to be serviced. This is the second report we have filed in a month. We have already taken it to the dealership once for this problem in early August when it was just the radio malfunctioning. They said to replace the radio. This is a safety issue that has already been identified by NHTSA item number 10036550 and service bulletin number pit-4730A. GM says that because our vehicle is out of factory warranty that they will not pay to have it repaired.

- North Pole, AK, USA