Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Trailblazer emerged from an "upscale trim line" of the Blazer, but there's nothing upscale about its transmission problems or its wonky, unpredictable headlights.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Apr 202015

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving at approximately 5 mph and coming to a stop, the vehicle traveled from one side of the road to the other side. The contact attempted to control the steering wheel, but found it difficult to manuever. Also, while the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated, crossed over a railroad track, and crashed into an iron fence and a telephone pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the right knee and whiplash that required medical attention. In addition, the passenger sustained bruises, whiplash, and back injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the scene. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Oct 162014

I was simply trying to clean my windshield with the wiper blades. When I flicked the switch the car shut off. I immediately got over and turned truck back on. A couple days later I was leaving out for work when I tried to start the car, it stalled and I heard a hissing noise. I couldn't get it to turn over or make any noise other than hissing. The speedometer started moving back and forth erotically. The radio and power windows works but the engine would not turn over. I had it towed to my repair man and he told me there was a electric problem and to call the GM dealership for further assistance. The truck will not start up. There is a short. It shuts off constantly while driving and sometimes I have to push it to avoid oncoming traffic. It won't sped up past 60 without troubling the transmission. While driving sometimes the speedometer doesn't work at all or it jumps, around without reading my correct speed. When I try turn signals it cuts off. When I turn my lights on and off it hisses. Something has to be done. Its my only means of transportation and I really need to find a solution.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Oct 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fiberglass cowling on top of the rear hatch fell off while driving, dangling only by the brake light cable. I had to cut the wire and remove the piece of body and light. Went to dealer asking about repair, they said it was caused by "use of the tailgate during winter conditions of snow and ice." They said "we see it all the time." I asked, since it occurs with high frequency, if it is covered by warranty, bulletin or recall and they said "no, GM considers this an owner/operator error." In other words, on this vehicle, a 4X4, the tailgate cannot nor should not be used, in the midwest, during periods of snow or ice? alas, I am driving without the mandatory center brake light. Please remedy this situation with proper replacement. Sadly, I see this condition on the same make and model more often than not.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

May 152014

Driving with my 5 yr old son and my car just turned off in the middle of driving causing brakes to lock and steering wheel to lock, crashing into an abandon truck. I contacted General Motors regarding and was told that my car is not on their current recall list although the problems are similar to those of all the recalls currently associated to the recalls. I was also told that bc no one was injured and my car was not very damaged they can not do anything because it is not a mechanical problem, if either of the above would have happen then it would have been their fault. What that tells me is that I need to drive me car and if that happens again a god forbid that was to happen again and myself or my children are severely injured they will then address the matter.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 302014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was coming to a stop light my brakes did not want to work, then they did. I stopped my vehicle, my lights in my dash went out within a few seconds smoke started to roll from under my hood and cover my windshield. I immediately got out of the vehicle, and called 911. The vehicle was not running at this time, it stopped running. A bystander stopped to assist, he looked from the passenger front tire view and stated he seen flames that appeared to be blue. He wanted to lift the hood but I advised him not to do so, due to my job training I knew oxygen promotes fire. We got away from the vehicle, saint albans fire arrived on scene, the flames were out by the time they arrived, the car continues to smoke. The vehicle was moved to a lot, the key was put in the ignition by the fire department the dash lights did not work even with just turning the battery on. Triple H towing, towed the vehicle to davis smith's auto body. Geico is my insurer, I had full coverage however they will not cover stating it was mechanical failure. I have no without a vehicle, and no insurance funds to replace the vehicle. I have read online this is a common problem with this vehicle, I just do not want anyone to get hurt in a vehicle fire. Thank you for your time.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

May 182013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The contact was able to safely pull over to the shoulder where the vehicle started to smoke and caught on fire. The fire was contained by the local fire department. A fire report was not filed. There were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected for the cause of the fire. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Gilbert , AZ, USA