CarComplaints.com Notes: The Trailblazer emerged from an "upscale trim line" of the Blazer, but there's nothing upscale about its transmission problems or its wonky, unpredictable headlights.

2.0

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Sep 212012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 35 mph, the transmission shifted out of gear and the anti-theft lock and battery warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also mentioned that the fuel gauge displayed an inaccurate reading when the fuel tank was full. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 143,000.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Dec 022015

Trailblazer

GM recall: GM special coverage program 14423: November 2015. I took my truck into vandergriff Chevrolet to check my fuel tank as I was experiencing the issues outlined in the recall letter. They concurred that I needed to replace the fuel tank. They let me have a rental for two weeks while the ordered the part. Once they found out that GM or affiliate no longer manufactures the part, they told me that GM would no longer pay for the rental. The advised me as they have no idea how long it would take to find a manufacturer to build a new fuel tank, that in order to avoid the gas fumes, it is safe to drive as long as I do not completely fill up the tank when I gas up. However, the check engine light still comes on of course, and that would prevent me from passing the state inspection which is due in two weeks. They offered no solution for me on that, and still no expectation as to when the fuel tank would be received.it has been 6 months now. I took my truck in originally in early December of 2015.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 142015

Trailblazer

Noticed a strong gas odor coming from the vehicle. In November 2015 we received a letter from Chevy telling us that "fuel tank inlet check valve" could fracture. We took it to a dealership & we were told it was the case with our Trailblazer. We have not been able to get the tank replaced. In December they supposedly ordered the part, it is now almost may & still no part. I have tried contacting Chevy directly & no one is willing to help. They keep putting me off, saying they can't find the part etc. Then telling me it will be here following month. They are just giving me the run around, and also their famous thing is to say well, it's a 2002 so we don't have parts. This is covered under a warranty. I called Chevy today & when the "senior advisor" told me the part would be there in may, I asked where he came up with that information he hung up on me. Before that he told me I might never get it repaired. In that case they would eventually send me a letter telling me what my next step might be. I cannot be the only person with this problem, and especially with it not being resolved properly.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jan 292016

Trailblazer

On December 7th, 2015 I took my 2002 Chevy tailblazer to lee partyka Chevrolet after recieving a letter that stated after 10 years the gas tank on these vehicles go bad and get leaks in them. A week later they called me and stated that they could not fix my vehicle and neither did they have a gas tank to replace it with and that I needed to pick up my truck and return the rental car. Lee partyka made it clear to General Motors that the car was unsafe to drive necause of the gas leak so today on February qst they told me that car was ok too drive and lee partyka said again its not safe to drive and gsve me a loaner from there dealership. I have gotten no help or understanding from General Motors I feel this os there problem. Now they say they cant fix the tank or replace it til may if they find a tank. And they wont continue to accomodate me with a rental vehicle so for me to just put $5 worth of gas in it anddrive it when lee partyka again said it is unsafe. Stationary.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Jan 192016

Trailblazer

#1. on 2 occasions last week, my Trailblazer suddenly lost most of its power, and the engine light reduced engine power came on! I pulled over, cut the car off, then restarted it, and was able to drive home. #2. the seat belts on the front passenger and rear right sides lock up tightly the moment you buckle up. It locks up so tightly that you cannot move if you wanted. These problems showed while driving on miami streets. #3. on 2 or 3 occasions a strong smell of gasoline came into the car while driving. The smell seemed to be coming from inside the back of the car, but I was unable to locate any gasoline back there. On another occasion, I smelled gas outside in the area of gas tank.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Trailblazer

Received special coverage program 14423 that stated problems with the fuel tank inlet check valve could occur. I have fuel odors, fuel leaks, service engine soon and reduced engine power lights coming on while driving. Mileage is 180,000 miles and a fuel tank should not be a problem at any time, but GM will not provide any compensation.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Sep 252015

This 2002 Trailblazer is very very hard on gas

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Apr 222013

Trailblazer

Smelled fuel thought it wasn't burning the fuel correctly. Had mechanic look over vehicle and he found that the gas was leaking from the gas tank area. Without removing the thank he said it could be a hole on the top of the tank or the fuel sending unit. He told me to see if there was a recall.. because the fix is very expensive... my vehicle is sitting and I'm scared to use it... is there any help for this problem...

- Delaware, OH, USA

Jun 082015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving the vehicle with passengers inside, the smell of fuel vapors were so overwhelming that the vehicle had to be stopped and the passenger had to be escorted in a new vehicle to the destination. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to a Chevrolet dealer who diagnosed that there was corrosion of the return and sender lines of the fuel pump module and they needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 8/21/15 the consumer stated there was a recall for this part in 2012, but it expired. Therefore, the manufacturer would not cover any expenses for the repair. Updated 12/1/2015

- Elburn, IL, USA

Aug 012014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel tank filler neck where the filler hose attaches to the tank, has come off the fuel tank. This allows gasoline to spill on the road when driving and allows fuel to spill on the ground when refueling the vehicle. This should be a safety recall. Checking the safecar.gov/VIN lookup site this vehicle shows no open recalls. If there was an earlier recall related to this problem, the recall repair was not sufficient to keep the safety situation from reoccuring. A line of gasoline, on the road, leading straight to the fuel tank, has to be considered a safety issue that should be addressed by your department. Please let me know the progress of this necessary safety recall.

- Monrovia, MD, USA

Nov 132013

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that fuel fumes emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer; however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure and refused to provide any additional assistance since the vehicle was repaired under an unknown manufacturers recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage were unknown.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Nov 282012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel tank leaking gasoline and smell of gasoline vapors.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Mar 212012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Heavy gas fumes in and around the vehicle. This happens randomly. I have to air out the vehicle before I can drive it.

- Carrollton, TX, USA