Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012016

Fuel leakage from fuel tank. Very noticeable after fueling up, and when it's warm outside. Fuel smell and visible fluid dripping from the fuel tank. Vehicle isn't safe to drive, and GM is unwilling to cover the cost for the poor quality of the design of the fuel tanks. It's a known problem that GM and it's dealerships try to pass the bill for repair onto the consumer.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Nov 022015

Fuel tank inlet check valve fracture - Chevy Trailblazer (2003) I received the attached notice for special coverage in November 2015 for my Trailblazer's fuel tank inlet check valve that fractures and allows for fuel to seep out of the tank. Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I took my vehicle to the local Chevy dealership and sure enough, my vehicle was affected and the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The replacement fuel tank part was ordered by the dealership in November 2015 and the replacement part has still not come in, 6 months later. I've called the dealership, as well as GM/Chevy corporate at least 20 times over the past 6 months and the update I received today from the dealership was the part 'may come in September 2016 or it may not'. I can't drive the vehicle during this time due to this dangerous gas leak repair. This is wildly unfair. I was patient, but this is ridiculous - a replacement part should not take a year to receive. I'm guessing the part will not arrive in September either, as I was told in January 2016 that the part would arrive in February 2016 and obviously that didn't happen (today is April 15, 2016). Finally, the service I received from GM/Chevy corporate was appalling. Donna seymour - a senior advisor at GM/Chevy (1-866-790-5600 ext. 5911534) provided the worst service I've ever had, anywhere. She repeated would say she would call me back and fail to do so, and do absolutely nothing to try to resolve the situation. She was awful and GM/Chevy should be ashamed that they treat their customers in this manner.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Mar 012016

Cannot put gas in tank because of back pressure

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 012016

Trailblazer fuel system

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Dec 172015

While driving my vehicle in December 2015 I received a "service engine soon" display. I took the SUV to a service center who informed me my fuel tank was cracked & needed to be replaced. They ordered a new tank but have not been able to obtain the part. While researching the situation, I found record of an NHTSA investigation (action # PE07014) conducted in 2007 for the same problem, involving the same make, model & year as my vehicle in which GM was supposed to send letters to owners & repair the fuel tanks free of charge. I never received the notification and reached out to GM customer service to find out why, file a report and expressing my grave concerns regarding the safety issues of driving a vehicle in this condition. Over the course of approximately two weeks of communication, I was advised my VIN wasn't included in the action therefore they wouldn't have notified me, it was past the mileage warranty & they won't extend it, the part is on backorder and the soonest it might be available is may, they won't provide a temporary repair or loaner vehicle, there's nothing further they can do and they're closing the file on my complaint. They were however, willing to offer a potential discount on a new vehicle. I advised them I was not in a position to purchase a vehicle and that wasn't an appropriate solution to the problem.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 072015

Extended warranty fuel tank filler leak known issue with Chevrolet which affects other parts such fuel pump, fuel module, etc Chevrolet has been aware of this issue since 2007 and I just got a call from a senior advisor from Chevy stating that the "replacement part" is not going to be in until April.I find this unacceptable since I am driving around with a gas leak. The sa first started off, well we understand you are complaining about the part being back ordered. No I am mad because if they sent out letters to consumers, don't you think you should have the part in to fix the issues with the Trailblazer" Chevy is dragging its feet to fix its own warranty that it extended to consumers. The longer I drive around with this leak, the longer others parts such the fuel pump, fuel module, etc will fail and Chevy should cover these parts also. How does Chevy expect me to drive around for 5 months with a fuel leak"

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jan 182016

Fuel tank has tiny crack at the where the tank is welded together and gasonilne and or gasoline vapors leak out causing the check engine light to come on. GM has issued special coverage warranty for vehicles that have up TO150,000 miles or 15yrs old whichever comes first. Vehicle has 160,000 miles on it and they will not pay for repairs that should actually be a recall since it is a safety issue that is affecting millions of vehicles

- Franklin, GA, USA

Jan 122016

Code 440, smell of gas on different occasions from the gas tank area. Replaced gas cap & purge valve. Smell continues. Not sure what is factor for the smell, yet it has gotten stronger. A few times I have smelled the gas while driving, , tho, most times it is upon exiting the vehicle it is most notable.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 222015

Gas tank is leaking.I get a letter from general motor about that problem I took the truck to crystal Chevrolet the manager told he would not work on my truck.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 072015

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while replacing the fuel pump, the contact noticed that the vehicles fuel tank filler nozzle became disconnected from the fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 174,000. The VIN was not available.

- Allen, KY, USA

Oct 052014

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel tank fractured due to the fractured fuel tank and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnoised that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,479.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Sep 172015

On August 26, 2015 we purchased a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer from wali's auto sales in enola, pa. It had 93,907 miles on it and appeared to be in good condition with a clean car fax. We traded in our 1996 Chevrolet Suburban and received $1700 in trade in value purchasing the Trailblazer for $5722.70 including tax and transfer fees. Brakes and ball joints had been replaced prior to our purchase along with a transmission line. We took the vehicle for an alignment as soon as we purchased it. We drove the vehicle approximately 200 miles and then on September 17th left home with intentions of driving the vehicle to stowe Vermont. At 11:30 am on the morning of September 17th (approximately 2 hours into our trip) the vehicle lost power and brakes close to scranton, pa. The engine caught fire and within 7 minutes the vehicle burned up. The VIN number was not readable. The scranton fire department responded along with Pennsylvania state police and the forty fort police. We have a copy of the fire report. The vehicle was towed by a local tow company. My wife and I escaped injury. We had liability insurance through state farm which covered towing and fire company expenses. Wali's gave us a 30 day warranty on the vehicle and has acknowledged since the incident that there is a warranty on the vehicle but is not forthcoming in allowing us to submit a claim to their insurance company.

- Liverpool, PA, USA

Aug 202014

I bought a used 2003 Chevy Trailblazer 6cylinder 4W with those156000. Well shortly after buying it I had my windows rolled down in a drive thru and smelt gas. I didn't think much of it until a few weeks later I noticed that I had a leak of some sort and it had the gas smell but within another week my gas mileage per tank of fuel went down drastically and I noticed I had puddles under my vehicle instead of a few drips now. The smell of gas is overwhlming it gives me headaches when I drive. I'm afraid it's going to start a fire. It constantly drips gas now when I ddrive you can seexa trail leading to me. I wish I nevercwould have bought it. It's so unsafe for my children with glad leaking out.

- Nineveh, IN, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, a fuel odor emitted from the vehicle without warning. The contact discovered that there was fuel leaking from the vehicle. The contact also mentioned that the hatch back failed to latch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the of the failure. The failure mileage was 270,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 232015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have filed a prior complaint and the number is #10695487. I contacted General Motors and have never been treated so terrible in my life. The person on the phone told me to either take it to a dealer ( with no help from GM to check it) or get over it and hung up. I am still having the fuel leaking and with no help from GM I will not be able to fix it. I would like to have it fixed because in my mind it is a defect on GM part and they do not want to own up to it. Please help with this issue.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving at 55 mph, the contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that there was fluid leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 012013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Gas smell been to the shop numerous times with no results.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Mar 192015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and it started to have the smell of gas and a dip from the fuel tank. I was wondering if this was a fix that would be covered by General Motors. I have only owned this vehicle a year and live on a very limited income. I love this vehicle and do not want to have to part with it but I need a vehicle to go to doctors and hospitals for medical issues. Please help in getting this fixed.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Apr 302014

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving at 40 mph, the transmission shifted between drive and overdrive. The contact also stated there was a fuel odor when driving. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission shift kit and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Bethel, OH, USA

Jun 112014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas leak rust and corrosion.

- Bethel, OH, USA