Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 252016

Fuel gauge is erratic, moving around from full to no fuel back to full. It may stay on empty for 5-10 minutes then move to full and then drop again. All in one short trip.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Jun 012016

Fuel gauge is going crazy. When I fill it with fuel it will sometimes register empty and yellowlight indicator comes on. It goes up and down all the time.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

May 102016

The gas gauge senor quit working it is stuck on empty. The mileage is 116,014 there have been other's that has reported this problem. There should be a recall and fixed free of charge by the dealer.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 022015

Window switch recall taillight short melted wires harness engine light indicator stays on road grip tires light comes on will stay on for days power steering is using fluid and now fuel tank will not take more than 5 gallons at a time and sprays gas back if tank is full fuel level indicator want register stay below empty and windshield leaks down into dash

- Rutledge, AL, USA

Sep 182015

Fuel gauge sensor is defective, cannot determine how much fuel is in the tank, vehicle stalled and ran out of gas when the gauge showed gas in the tank.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

Sep 232015

I filled up my tank yesterday. One hour later, started the car and the fuel guage read zero, with low fuel indicator on. Now it's intermittent, never going above 3/4 full. I have printed out the NHTSA's investigations number dp 10-001and PE 11-014. I have heard that GM is willing to fix the problem for 1/2 price. What is 1/2 price" 1/2 of what? what do I need to do next"

- Orange, CA, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a warning chime activated as the fuel gauge indicated an incorrect reading. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Western Springs , IL, USA

Jul 222015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While powering up the vehicle, the fuel gauge lights illuminated and a beeping noise activated indicating low fuel. The contact had just refueled and the tank was filled to capacity. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Westernspring , IL, USA

Mar 022015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I've been having issues with the fuel gauge indicating empty after a fill up although its not... I had this problem happen about two years ago, I spent $900 (at the time) on an acdelco fuel sending unit and replaced the part... it worked for sometime, however, here we are two years later and its happening again...I don't have $900 to replace the part again. This time I was driving to work on the highway (luckily it wasn't to busy, but busy enough at the time of 9:30am in the morning on a Monday) doing about 55mph, give or take, and the engine just shut off, the lights came on and it would not start. Luckily for me, I was able to get the cooperation of a state trooper to sit with me until someone could bring me gas. Sure enough it was a gas issue due to the sensor not working properly and the truck started right up once I put a few gallons in the truck..

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Apr 102015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

We were traveling from spokane, wa to portland, or, when we got to richland, wa the check engine light came on. We stopped and scanned the computer and gave us a code for a faulty pedal sensor. We erased the code and turned the Trailblazer on and it came back on in about 10 minutes. We read online that other people that have Trailblazer ss are having this issues and there was a recall on the sensor and they are getting theirs replaced. I talked to autonation Chevrolet and camp Chevrolet here in spokane, wa and they both have heard of the recall and the issue but since it won't show up under my VIN number they will not honor the recall. They won't 100 to 150 to diagnose when it took me 5 seconds and they want us to pay about 600+ dollars for an repair that should be free. I read about the sensor and our truck is doing everything it says it will do. When you are at a light and go to push the gas pedal it boggs down like about to die then lunges forward and shifting hard between gear 1 or 2. can someone please help us with this and help us get the dealership to work with us. If we continue to drive it an accident could happen any moment. This is a huge hazard!!!

- Spokane, WA, USA

Apr 062015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After fueling the vehicle with 12 gallons of gas, (filling it up from half a tank) the fuel gauge read empty and the out of fuel / low fuel indicator light was on. The vehicle stalled twice while in traffic driving it home, but did not result in an accident as traffic was light at the time. After calling the dealership they told me this is a common problem that happens every 50K miles "give or take" and that I need to have my fuel level sensor and fuel pump replaced. In looking online, I find that this is indeed a very common problem that has resulted in crashes and other safety issues and has been ignored by GM and the NHTSA for several years now despite the constantly growing number of claims. The dealer stated it would cost "somewhere around $900" to have this fixed. I told them what I thought of that, bought the delphi replacement unit myself for $200 and made the repairs on my own. However GM is going to be getting a bill for this from my lawyers.

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 172014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge failed to operate without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jan 212015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The problem started on Wednesday January 21, 2015; I started my car up to let it warm up while I dusted off the snow. I notice my heated seats were not working. I turned the car off and restarted it. As soon as I restarted it the car began to backfire and stale. It would start but then stale out. I had to get the trucked towed to the local mechanic. I pick up my truck that evening and it ran fine. The next morning Thursday January 22, I got in my truck and it started right up. However, every stop I came to the truck just shut off. I restarted it and then would just shut off at the next stop. The engine light did not come on until I was drive to the mechanic. Again that evening I picked up my truck and everything was fine. Friday January 23, I was driving my 7 year old to school and the car just shut off while I was driving down a steep hill. I had no brakes or steering. This happened 3 times. I again took my car to the mechanic. He kept my car for 4 day. I finally picked it up yesterday January 24 and it is still not fixed. My mechanic said he is stumped. It drove great after picking it up. Then this morning January 25, as I was taking my daughter to school, my car shut off 3 time while I was driving down two hills. Then it staled 2 more times while I was a red lights. I nearly missed two accidents. By doing research online I found hundreds upon hundreds of complaints from people having the same issue. I call the local Chevy mechanic and he said this is an known problem. I called Chevy directly and they too are aware of the problem and number of complaints. I even found complaints on this very site. I'm just curious if someone has to die before this problem gets fixed. I have a recall on my drivers door for a part that catches fire, but no recall for the truck just shutting off when in motion. Doesn't make sense to me.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Jul 082014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

In lieu of all the current recalls applicable to my vehicle, non of which affect mine. The one recall that GM should be issuing, I have yet to see, which in my concern could be deemed a safety matter. The fuel level sensor malfunctioning, clearly a manufacturing defective part and/or system. Quoting GM's claim on the recall notice in my possession..." General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2006 model year Chevrolet Trailblazer vehicles. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products. " careful review and consideration on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

- North Haven, CT, USA

Nov 022009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

After 50,000 miles gas tank sensor stops working. Therefore the gas light remains lit even when tank is full - this also causes the check engine light to come on (resulting in a failed inspection). Per Chevrolet dealership, this is a common problem and happens about every 50K miles. Only solution is to replace entire gas tank and sensor (every 50K miles).

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 252014

My 2006 Chevy Trailblazer fuel gauge indicator went out. When you fill up the tank the gas gauge remains at empty. Now I have no idea how much gas is in the tank. This is a public safety matter. I cannot and should not be expected to know how much gas I have in my car without a properly working gas gauge. If my car runs out of fuel and an accident occurs it would be totally avoidable. It is clear that there have been several hundred complaints regarding this issue and the ntsb opened an investigation into this matter but failed to act. I would be ok with paying to fix this issue if it was a rare occurrence but clearly there have been complaints and GM and ntsb are aware. Ntsb would be complicit if an accident occurs because they did nothing to protect the individuals on the road. If the ntsb cannot make GM recall the vehicles for this safety problem than I am not sure what the ntsb does and I would advocate not funding this entity. Please act on this matter and make GM recall and replace this faulty part before someone dies.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Nov 022009

Under a previous recall the dealer replaced a part in the fuel tank and tried to sell us a fuel pump at the same time. My wife now tells me that since this service she has occasionally smelled gasoline inside the vehicle and at times quite strong. At first she thought it was the fumes from other vehicles. I do not drive this vehicle alot, so it has not been noticed by me. Is it because of a complete fill up or is it because there is a seal not installed correctly, I do not know what I do know is that under no circumstances should there be gasoline fumes inside the vehicle, which tells me that any spark of any kind could ignite those fumes.

- Cambridge, MD, USA

Oct 212014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014, at approximately 11:30 a.M. while my husband and I were driving on the West side of the standing rock sioux reservation my 2006 Trailblazer ext caught on fire. We both smelled smoke, parked (didn't turn off the ignition) and flames began to shoot out from underneath the front driver's side of the vehicle. We got out and ran to the West side of the roadway as the fire engulfed the entire front motor area. My purse was still in the burning vehicle and I told my husband he ran back to the burning vehicle to retrieve it. He sustained burns to his hands, face, legs and feet. In addition he received smoke inhalation to a degree of a "black out" stage. We witnessed the tires burn up one after another, beginning with the front driver's side, then the passenger side, the rear driver's and the passenger's side - at this point we moved further away from the burning vehicle as we expected the car to explode once it reached the gas tank area, but somehow the gas tank didn't explode. In fact, the spare tire which sits underneath the gas tank received a slight singe and did not burn (along with the gas tank). The only warning we had was the "smell of smoke" - the Trailblazer's dash warning light did not appear to indicate anything was wrong. In addition, on or about October 25, 2014, another Trailblazer (same area) also burnt up (as reported by bureau of land management).

- Fort Hall, ID, USA

Nov 102014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

We own a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with 86492 miles on it. Yesterday after filling the vehicle to a full tank of gas. The fuel gauge would drop to empty and the empty tank light will come on.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 072013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

On 11 Feb 2013, I was getting gas when my fuel gauge began acting crazy. It would go to full then a few seconds later go to empty and my fuel light would go on. I contacted my local dealership who said I should get a letter in the mail concerning this issue because a recall had been initiated. I have yet to receive a letter and after doing research I see there is an open action on this #DP10001. What I need to know is how do I get this letter, I see others comments which state if your vehicle is over 120,000 miles they will not pay for the repair. My vehicle is now over 120,000 miles but when the issue occurred it was not. How do I get this recall initiated? please help.

- Alexandria, LA, USA