2.2

2009 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Mar 162016

Traverse

I bought the car for my family and the first month there where no issues now the engine light stays on and it jerks and hesitates on a frequent basis. I bought the cat thinking it was a safe choice for my family I'm now rethinking that because even with the engine light on the problem can't be diagnosed.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Apr 052016

Traverse

"takata recall" this car has been a nightmare from the day we bought it. It has had 4 rack and pinions, the struts replaced, a gear replaced in the steering column, a new power steering pump, a fuel injector, and timing chain repair. Now it is in the shop again for another round of timing chain gone bad and tensioners, as well as now the master brake cylinder is leaking back into the system which I was told will cause my brakes to just no longer work at any given moment. I drive my children in this car, I paid over $25,000 for it and I have put over $8,000 in repairs into it. I am now having to repair the brake issue or chance my family being killed in an accident. While my husband has lost his job in the oil and gas industry. I can't even sale the stupid car, because it is worhtless!!! I am disgusted and disappointed with this vehicle, the manufacturer for doing nothing for their buyers and the fact that there have been no recalls on the brake issue, when there are multitudes of pages on the web of complaints over the same issue.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 082016

Traverse

Numerous ac issues, dealer has never been able to repair.now we receive engine code stating the #4 cylinder misfireing. Before we can have it repaired the vehicle just quit. No power from engine, no brakes, all kinds of electrical sensors are giving alerts and car just turns off. Seems to also be affecting cooling fan and steering. Also ever since we purchased the vehicle has made a wierd noise in the front end. Dealer claims it was nothing and after warranty expired we took it in for ac again and was told the front struts were needing to be replaced along with all kinds of ac parts. How come this was never mentioned until warranty expired" I am so tired of getting ripped off with vehicles. Had issues with Ford, Dodge and now GM. Guess its time to try an import"

- Risharon, TX, USA

Jan 022016

Traverse 6-cyl

This is the 13th issue we have had with this vehicle. Some covered under warranty, some as recall, some at our cost. Driving on the highway, alarms went off, messages appeared that stabilitrak was off. Told us to service braking system. As per manual we turned the car off to let system reset. Ok for about 1/2 hour driving time, did it again. Turned off, reset. Did it again but this time the stabilitrak will not come back on. Going to dealership on Thursday to address this issue. We also have a bulletin about transmission failure where we can lose 3rd, 5th & reverse. This is a serious safety issue which GM will not address until there is a problem. After 30 loyal years we are finished with GM. We are trading in this vehicle after repair & buying another brand. We feel that no one cares about the consumer until deaths happened. At this point our $35000 vehicle is unreliable & unsafe! thank you.

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

Traverse

The wife complained about brakes sounding odd, a week after having new brakes installed. Took it in, they said they looked fine. Then all of a sudden her anti-lock break light and stabilitrak light go off while driving to work on a major surface street (50mph). Take it in to have it checked out, they find a sensor in the brake cylinder is bad, and the cylinder is gushing brake fluid. $800+ to fix. Plus our power steering is going bad. There is an internal leak in some boots that are not working properly. $1200 to fix. It's like they had a bunch of parts lying around, and they slapped them together to build a vehicle, even though none of the parts work together. The government should never have wasted the money to prop up a horribly inefficient company.

- Cliniton Twp., MI, USA

Jul 172014

Traverse

We have had multiple issues with the 09 Chevy Traverse. The check engine light came on so we ran test on it. The test came back that there were 4 sensors that went out. We went and purchased those 4 sensors and reset the computer and within an hour the check engine light was back on for those sensors. We then went and replaced the sensors once again and the same thing happened. The next thing that happened was the headlights went out while driving down the road. Changed both headlights and a month later they went out again. Only way to help this issue was to turn off daytime lights. About 2 months ago the ac unit just stopped working while driving down the highway. Thought the ac might need recharged so we recharged it and it worked again for about an hour. Now it will not even allow you to turn the ac on at all. Just a couple of days ago I was driving down the interstate when the check engine light flashed and the car stated check engine soon then the traction control light came on and the car read that stabilitrak was off. All of these issues have occurred over the last year and I have only owned this car for 2 years and it only has about 128000 miles on it. I could expect theses issues if the car was a lot older but I do not feel safe driving this car because of all the issues that keep occurring. Very disappointed in the Traverse because I know I am not the only one with these issues but there is nothing that the dealerships will do to help except charge me a lot to fix the issues again only for them to keep messing up.

- Hubbard, TX, USA

Aug 042015

Traverse

While driving down the highway, my 2009 Chevrolet Traverse suddenly lost power. I was unable to accelerate and had to pull over onto the shoulder. The traction control light came on and a message on the display read service stabilitrak. This has happened 3 times since the original incident. I have been researching online and this appears to be a pretty common problem among other Chevrolet Traverse owners. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed with GM.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Sep 122014

Traverse

I was driving and several lights came on. Traction control, check stabilitrack, and engine power is reduced came on at once. A lot of people are having this problem and have to pay for it. There needs to be some type of recall. I use this car for my everyday use. Please help.

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Mar 262014

Traverse

Riding down the road and the stabilitrak/traction light comes on, car powers down and car behind me almost hit me causing an accident. Good thing kids were not in car. Dangerous and scary situation, getting a lawyer...

- Camden, SC, USA

Dec 182012

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving car started to spit and sputter like not getting enough fuel. Then while turning the air bag light came on and the stability control light come and the check engine light flashed never stayed solid. The check engine light then quit flashing but the air bag light is still on. The stability control light stayed on until I turned the car off, I then turned it back on and the stability control light was not on.

- Waverly , OH, USA