2009 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Apr 052016

"takata recall" this car has been a nightmare from the day we bought it. It has had 4 rack and pinions, the struts replaced, a gear replaced in the steering column, a new power steering pump, a fuel injector, and timing chain repair. Now it is in the shop again for another round of timing chain gone bad and tensioners, as well as now the master brake cylinder is leaking back into the system which I was told will cause my brakes to just no longer work at any given moment. I drive my children in this car, I paid over $25,000 for it and I have put over $8,000 in repairs into it. I am now having to repair the brake issue or chance my family being killed in an accident. While my husband has lost his job in the oil and gas industry. I can't even sale the stupid car, because it is worhtless!!! I am disgusted and disappointed with this vehicle, the manufacturer for doing nothing for their buyers and the fact that there have been no recalls on the brake issue, when there are multitudes of pages on the web of complaints over the same issue.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 082016

Master cylinder / brake booster leaking- warning lights came on "traction control off/ stabilitrack off - service brake soon. Brake fluid leaked from master cylinder into brake booster. $1,135 fix. This would happen between 5 and 10 miles after driving.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 162015

The wife complained about brakes sounding odd, a week after having new brakes installed. Took it in, they said they looked fine. Then all of a sudden her anti-lock break light and stabilitrak light go off while driving to work on a major surface street (50mph). Take it in to have it checked out, they find a sensor in the brake cylinder is bad, and the cylinder is gushing brake fluid. $800+ to fix. Plus our power steering is going bad. There is an internal leak in some boots that are not working properly. $1200 to fix. It's like they had a bunch of parts lying around, and they slapped them together to build a vehicle, even though none of the parts work together. The government should never have wasted the money to prop up a horribly inefficient company.

- Cliniton Twp., MI, USA

Jul 102015

•water pump went out (wasn't notified it was under warranty) had it replaced. •water pump went out again, dealer replaced under warranty. •steering began whining again and have been told that's normal nothing more they can do. •attempted to get re-imbursement from GM for water pump, never heard a peep back from corporate regarding my reimbursement form I mailed in. •based on lack of service from dealers/GM, when car began reving at high rpms and shifting hard, non GM mechanic indicated wave plate failed and trashed transmission. Transmission was rebuilt and then began throwing traction control & brake system warning lights. Ironically, when I found this forum this week, I noticed GM was covering the wave plate issue, yet they never informed us via mail or phone. I paid out of pocket. •upon contacting GM, they graciously waived the $105 diagnostic fee and informed me I needed a new master brake cylinder. •corporate however, appreciated my 30 years of loyalty but was unable to cover the cost (385.00) to replace the cylinder. They would consider giving me a coupon towards the purchase of a future GM vehicle. •finally, after having my mechanic replace the cylinder (saving me $$) the Traverse threw check engine light and as a stop sign was approached, the brakes failed to engage. Had we not driven off the road to avoid the car stopped in front of us, we would have rear ended them. Luckily this didn't happen to my wife when she had the kids with her. •we limped the vehicle back to the mechanic who has found the booster is full of oil and he is still researching the cause. However, he has indicated based on the brake failure he would not recommend my wife and kids get back in it.

- Germantown, OH, USA

Oct 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

I just purchased my 0 9 Traverse and I have started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the steering wheel when turning as well as a squeaking noise coming from the brake pedal. I have taken the vehicle back to the dealership and they have told me that GM has not issued a fix for that problem and that it is common for the Traverses. I contacted GM and they just says that there is no fix for it. I have seen on line that they have changed some parts in the newer vehicles due to a manufacturer defect. They say that it is not a safety issue, but people are losing power steering and I don't want to one day not have ability to control the vehicle. This issue needs to be addressed and fixed!!

- Kingstree, SC, USA

Jun 282014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact was driving 65 mph when the front driver side tire and axle detached from the vehicle. Additionally, the suspension and brakes failed. The contact crashed the vehicle into a median and sustained injuries to the left side of her body. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the scene and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Apr 022014

Traverse 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking spot, the steering column completely locked up and would not allow me to turn the wheel. I then attempted to pull forward at which time the brakes locked in place. Although there were no injuries, I can't help to wonder what could've happened and what my response would have been should this had happened in traffic on the freeway. I had my daughter in the car and I am still nervous about driving this vehicle.

- Brea, CA, USA