2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Oct 282009

Traverse 6-cyl

Chevy Traverse has had a funny noise when making sharp turns since purchase. Took back to dealer and they said power steering fluid low. This has happened for 5 years. Finally when out of manufacturer warranty I am told it needs new power steering pump. I found recall to get it paid for, but power steering fluid still leaking. They now say I need new rack and pinion assembly. Cost of at least $1200 for something that has been a problem since I have owned the vehicle. Why will Chevrolet fix part of the problem, but not all of it. What happens if I wait to fix and power steering goes out and someone gets hurt? sounds like a quick lawsuit for Chevrolet. I think its time to pay for your mistake!!!!

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Dec 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

Turning corners at low rate of speed, steering locks up and then can finally turn the wheel, but with great difficulty. Huge safety concern.

- Elwood, UT, USA

Nov 182014

I originally took vehicle to dealer to replace the timing chain. When I got the vehicle back the power steering was making a loud noise. The dealer said the power steering was fine. Approximately 6 months later I take the vehicle back to the dealer for recalls and leaking coolant. Power steering still loud. Tech found leak from rack and pinion. I am glad that my steering did not fail like other complaints. I was lucky that my vehicle had a coolant leak and the tech found the leaking rack and pinion while fixing the coolant leak. My wife drives this vehicle each day with my 3 kids and having the steering fail while in traffic could have been horrible. It is obvious this is an issue in the 2009 Traverse and is a safety issue.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Oct 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

My 2009 Traverse lost its power steering while we were driving it. We didn't get into an accident but almost did. That same day I received a letter from GM stating that my 2009 Traverse may or may not have powersteering issues. After bringing it to the dealer they informed me that the rack and pinion was also leaking and the cost of the fix was 900 bucks with tax. Why was the rack and pinion not covered, it seems like it the cause of the powersteering issues.

- Cranford , NJ, USA

Oct 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

I just purchased my 0 9 Traverse and I have started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the steering wheel when turning as well as a squeaking noise coming from the brake pedal. I have taken the vehicle back to the dealership and they have told me that GM has not issued a fix for that problem and that it is common for the Traverses. I contacted GM and they just says that there is no fix for it. I have seen on line that they have changed some parts in the newer vehicles due to a manufacturer defect. They say that it is not a safety issue, but people are losing power steering and I don't want to one day not have ability to control the vehicle. This issue needs to be addressed and fixed!!

- Kingstree, SC, USA

Nov 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

The rack pinion on this vehicle is broken and had to be replaced. My mechanic told me that he has had to replace the rack pinion on several Chevrolet Traverse and GMC acadia. I have been reading forums online and this seems to be a common problem that GM refuses to admit. The rack pinion is vital to the vehicles steering and this is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Oct 092014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering loss at low speeds. While turning corners at low speed, the power steering assist cuts out unexpectedly. When this happens unexpectedly, turning the steering wheel is very difficult and the turn is not as tight as needed. On many occasions I have almost collided into other vehicles.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Sep 162014

- Allendale, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

At low speed steering wheel is very, very hard to turn, ,,,,

- Buena Park,Ca, CA, USA

Jun 012012

We have been living with intermittent power steering failure in our 2009 Chevy Traverse for over two years. We brought it in to be looked at when it first became an issue. The vehicle had 60K miles on it at the time. The dealer charged us a fee to diagnose the problem, but wasn't able to find anything wrong. This problem has been getting worse every day since. We've had it looked at by a number of repair centers, including the Chevy dealer again and it has been determined to be the power steering gear that has failed or also known as the power steering rack and pinion. We have an estimate of $1200 to replace the steering gear and pump that has also now failed as a result of the gear failure. We feel this is a safety issue that Chevrolet should be addressing a recall, especially since they had already identified this issue with published warranty service bulletin. Since they consider power steering an optional item, it's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Having your power steering fail without warning while on a highway cloverleaf exit ramp is a major safety hazard that needs to be addressed without cost to the consumer who spent thousands on a vehicle NHTSA has given a high safety rating.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

Sep 022014

Traverse 6-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering will lock up at low speeds especially in parking lots and turning in town. Took to dealership and said it would need a power steering pump at a cost of $1200. Seems to be a very common occurrence and I think GM should pay for some of this repair. Not very impressed with how they are avoiding not to share in some of the cost of this costly repair.

- Seward, NE, USA

Nov 202013

Traverse 6-cyl

While turning to the left or right the steering seems to lockup like the power steering is not working and you have to try to muscle the steering wheel to make the turn.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 052014

I wanted to highlight that I believe the Traverse 2009 model is a safety risk. Over the last couple of days on multiple occasions my power steering has completely stopped working at low speeds. It seems that at low speeds - I.e parking or changing direction at slow speeds, the power steering fails and becomes almost impossible to turn the wheels to change direction - I have been told by the dealer it is a steering pump fault that needs replacing and is out of warranty. This can potentially be very dangerous if I needed to change direction quickly - I.e moving out of the way of cars or children. Please raise this as a major concern.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Sep 042014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering locked up when turning right into a parking space making it very difficult to turn then it freed up almost causing me to hit the car next to me. Steering seems a little jerky now. Does not feel safe at all and was very scary. This is not the first time it has done this and it seems to be getting worse.

- Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Jul 092014

Traverse 6-cyl

A problem with the steering started about a month and a half ago in which the power steering would stop working. At first it was infrequent, but now the power steering quits on every significant turn. So far it has not happened at high speeds on lane changes and the like. Took it to the GM dealer who stated the gear box needs to be replaced at just under $1200. I asked them to check if GM would assist with (not fully cover) the cost of the repairs since it began at under 100,000 miles. GM stated they would not help. This is a serious safety issue with a lot of complaints regarding the same problem.

- New Baden, IL, USA

Oct 212013

Traverse 6-cyl

At low speeds, in both drive mode @ 20 mph or less and in reverse, steering loses power. The first sign of trouble came @60K miles when trying to turn left and gradually affected turning in either direction. It is nearly impossible to navigate the car in a parking lot and don't even try to parallel park. It is so hard to turn the wheel I break out in a sweat from having to crank it so hard. It has now been going on for 10 months. My daughter would like to take her driving test but can't because of the steering issue. I have to rent a car so she can get her license. Reported it to my local Chevy technician back in December 2013 when I was in for an oil change. Car port said he noticed it as well when bringing car around front after my appointment. Have had three separate technicians look at the issue, over the last 6 months, two different Chevy dealerships and ntb, and they had only guesses as to what might be causing the problem or how to fix it.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Oct 072013

Traverse 6-cyl

In October 2013 I noticed that I was losing power steering whenever I made a left hand turn. It was intermittent and did not occur when I took it to dealership to be checked. It continues when turning left and now also occurs when turning right from a stop. In addition when I am trying to back out, it locks up completely then releases once I start moving. I have only experienced this at low speed 20-30 mph and hope I never have to find out that it happens at high speed too.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Aug 012014

At first when making left turns only if would make a funny noise, then going around a curve it felt like the Traverse was trying to die, warranty conveniently ran out in May 2014 I will have this vehicle 1 year end of October. Did not get extended warranty due to note was already high, took my Traverse to mechanic was told I needed a rack and pinion and a steering pump due to leaking, which would end up costing anywhere from different places $1600 to $2100 you would think with GM going into debt so much they would make things right to keep from losing business!!! sooooo wish I would have done more investigating when I need a bigger vehicle for my 3 small children!!!

- Benton, LA, USA

Aug 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

While attempting to perform a left hand turn after receiving a green light, the steering wheel became extremely stiff. Continues to be a constant problem with a whining noise coming from steering wheel. Took to Chevy dealer and they said rack "beginning to seep." Quoted me $1300 to fix but I believe there should be an investigation into this issue since so many other Traverse owners are experiencing the same problem.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Feb 122014

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering failed on our 2009 Traverse at low speeds while pulling out of a median into traffic. This type of power steering failure has happened before.the Chevrolet dealer ship said we could have the rack and pinion replaced but could not say it would fix it and if you read the other complaint on here it didn't even fix the problem so I didn't have $1500 to throw away. This is a serious safety issue. It would be impossible to avoid an accident by turning the vehicle. Your only options are to stop and "man handle" the Traverse into position. An elderly person or a smaller person would not be able to control the vehicle at all. GM has re-designed the newer Traverse/encore/acadia steering systems, so they know a problem exists. One day someone will get killed from this steering problem and everyone will wonder why a recall wasn't issued. Some type of action needs to take place with this problem.

- Blountsville, AL, USA