2011 Chevrolet Traverse brakes NHTSA complaints: Traction Control System

NHTSA — Traction Control System Problems

3.0

2011 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Nov 272014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 70 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and the engine speed reduced to approximately 15 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the part not being available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Traverse

2011 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to issues with the traction control features. The consumer stated when decreasing acceleration, approaching a curve or stop sign, the transmission down shifted causing the vehicle to go into an uncontrollable skid with the front wheels actually locking up. Also, when he applied the brake, when he approached a curve or stop sign, the ABS over-reacted, which caused the vehicle to go into a skid. Both incidents happened while driving on snow covered roads. When it first happened, he went though the stop sin and ended up in a ditch when going around two moderate curves at slow speed. The consumer read the owner's manual and discovered the traction control could be turned off by flipping a switch. After doing so, the vehicle performed flawlessly with slippery conditions and continued to do so as long as the traction control was turned off. The problem was amplified by the fact, the traction control was automatically on when the vehicle was started.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Mar 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

Traveling at 70 mph, suddenely traction control light came on, then engine powered down, I find that this is a common problem with this car, why isn't something being done. This has happened 4 times since March 5, 2014. At shop now will cost me over $500 to replace the throttle control. This needs to be a recall.

- Quincy, MI, USA

Feb 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

While traveling on the highway heading to the airport, we were going approximately 60mph.the engine light came on and truck began to power down. The traction control/stabili track light also came on and we were losing speed and could not accelerate. With other vehicles around us were going 60mph or more we had to try and get off highway to side of road before our truck lost power all together. We then shut off the truck let it sit for few minutes and then turned truck back on. We were then able to pull back on to highway at full speed. It happened a two more times before we were able to reach our destination. Three days later we were back in our truck leaving the airport heading home and within 5 minutes of being on the road our truck began to power down again, check engine light came on and stabili track light also came on. We had to again pull over but this time at least 5 times before we were able to make it home. It was a very dangerous and scary ordeal. We contacted atlantic Chevy about the problem and we brought truck in a week later due to the fact that they said they did not have a loaner vehicle available for us. We were told that it was the throttle body and we were not covered since we were past our 3yr/36,000 miles warranty. After much research, we have found that we are one of many other GM customers who have had the same situation with their vehicle powering down in the middle of driving. This is not just a random problem with our vehicle but appears to be a defective problem with the part. Customers are being expected to pay for this to be fixed when in fact it should be a recall on the part or it should be covered under the federal emissions warranty. I hope by us filing this complaint that it will be looked into further and that it will be handled in the way that satisfies all general motor customers who have had to deal with this problem. Thank you.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Dec 212013

Traverse 6-cyl

This vehicle at random times tells you that you need to service you stailitrak and traction control and reduces power which is dangerous because of the fact it loses power and when you want to pass your not able to. Even if your climbing a small little hill it will barely climb which puts others at risk of crashing especially in icy or dangerous conditions, or maybe even worse. This is a good family hauler, but not when it reduces power and puts others at risk.

- Worthington, MN, USA

Dec 092013

Traverse

Driving on the highway and all of a sudden there was an alert on the dashboard saying that "traction control off" then immediately after another alert came on stating that "engine power has been reduced". I was unable to accelerate fully. I turned the car off and back on and it reset it but the same alerts came back on minutes later. The next day I took it to the dealership and they said the throttle body had to be replaced. This seems to be a common occurrence for these vehicles and after researching online I have found hundreds of others that have had the same problem. This is extremely dangerous and Chevy/GM should seriously consider recalling this part.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 182013

Traverse

Was at target one evening and noticed a sweet unusual smell coming from the Traverse. I took a look underneath the car and noticed pink substance dripping from the engine. Upon leaving target I noticed that the arm on the temperature gauge was higher than normal. I drove 40mph for a mile and the gauge shot up to the top. I was 25 minutes from home. I had to stop 6 times to let the engine cool down in order to make it home and I had all four of my kids in the car with me as well. It totally freaked them out. I had to rent a car for the weekend as I needed transportation to get around. I had a company that will come to your home to fix your car. Found out it was my fuel pump. After 4 hours of labor and $400 later it was fixed. Four months later, today May 10, 2013 as I'm driving home from work, the car begins to beep and the traction control light and ABS light comes on and service stabilitrak system and traction control off displays in the display window. It seemed as if it was hard to accelerate as well. This is the 2nd thing that is probably going to be fairly expensive to fix that has happened to this car. It is the weekend and now have to try and find a place to take my car and have it serviced. Seeing now that there have been several complaints with this specific component on the car, Chevrolet needs to recall this car and fix this. This is very dangerous and could cause an accident. I think it's ridiculous to have to continue to pay for things that continue to break down on this vehicle. I am a single parent and cannot continue to financially be able to do this.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Dec 082012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact rented a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while traveling 60 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration power, as well as traction control. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer where it was confirmed that the throttle body failed. The contact also stated that the windshield wipers failed due to cold weather temperatures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 47,450 and the current mileage was 47,950. The consumer stated the dash displayed a message that said trak sys failed, soon followed by another message indicating the engine power had been reduced. The vehicle went from 60 mph to approximately 20 mph and the engine began to shudder with a feeling of loss of firing cylinders, and loss of vehicle steering control. The consumer called the renal car company, and he was advised to shut the vehicle off, wait 15 seconds and restart it. Over the next two miles the consumer could not get the vehicle to go over 15 mph and the trak came back on with the shuddering of the engine.

- Upland, CA, USA

Apr 242011

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated the vehicle lost power while shifting into third and fourth gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test that indicated the failure was located in the transmission module. The dealer replaced the transmission module, but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to lose power while shifting into third and fourth gear, and the stability control light illuminated. The VIN information was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated the transmissions was equipped with six speeds and was designed to lose speed. The failure mileage was 8,000 and the current mileage was 9,081.

- Mccordesville , IN, USA