2012 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 242014

Traverse 6-cyl

On 24 Dec 2014 at around 11:45am, I was pulling off a main road (with my young daughter) into the parking lot of my doctor's business, when my steering wheel locked completely while I was still in motion. After braking, I was able to jiggle the steering wheel free and pulled the car into a parking space. I contacted my dealership immediately to report the incident. As it was christmas eve, they were closing within minutes and I was told to bring in the car on Friday, Dec 26th..which I did. After an assessment was completed and the service department "could not duplicate customer's complaint of loss of power steering", I was told there was nothing else they could do for me until the problem happened again and with more regularity. The service reps did share that there has been reported incidents with the Traverse regarding loss of power steering, but no further information was shared with me. Upon driving out of the dealership, I promptly contacted GM who opened up a case report. I have requested that GM and the dealership conduct a more thorough diagnosis of the steering system as I deem this incident more than just a "random" incident. This is rather alarming and I and my daughter are extremely lucky that this did not happen minutes before when we were on a major interstate driving at a higher speed. Needless to say, I feel very unsafe in my car now and feel it necessary to report the incident to NHTSA in the event other 2012 Traverse owners have reported the same. Thank you.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Oct 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

A week ago my Traverse started making a grinding noise, and I thought it was the brakes so I took it to our mechanic who checked all four wheels and determined the brakes were fine. He said it was possibly a rock or something causing the noise and it stopped for a few days. This morning I was pulling into a parking spot at work and the steering froze up completely and the brakes did not want to work either. I almost hit the car I was parking next to! I'm so glad that didn't happen in the middle of traffic or a main street or it could have been a lot worse. Very scary, but what would cause this" will GM be looking into this before someone gets really hurt or has a major accident" taking back to the mechanic Wednesday to check the steering pump.... not happy.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jul 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

Driver began to feel and hear a rubbing noise coming from the wheel well. When trying to make a low speed left turn off of a primary road into the entrance of a business, the steering completely locked up and the driver was unable to turn and was stuck in the middle of the opposing lane of traffic. Fortunately for the driver and passengers, there was no oncoming traffic and the driver was able to manually steer (with difficulty against a lot of resistance from the steering wheel) the car back into the correct lane and continued on until pulling over in a safe location on the same block.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 082014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while making a left turn, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was able to restart and operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,100.

- Altoona, PA, USA