2013 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Traverse:

2013 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Dec 262015

While driving about 65 mph on us-59 in my 2013 Chevrolet Traverse ltz, the instrument panel lit up like a christmas tree, followed by a rapid, un-controlled deceleration, loss of power, and loss of steering. This was while driving on a straight road, and no surface impediments such as rain, snow, sleet, ect.. the issue was "stabilitrak! as a 30 year, career law enforcement officer who investigated thousands of accidents, this was a very dangerous situation and my family and I are very lucky to be alive. I also found there is a long history of this going back to at least 2010. This same vehicle has had the rear A/C fixed 4 times and mylink system fixed 2X.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 302015

Traveling at roughly 55mph the vehicle started beeping. The car controls began to become hard to steer and without warning the speed in seconds slowed to 15-20 mph. The dash starts reporting the following information:engine power reduces service stabilitrak traction control off I pull over shut off the car and eventually the dealer says it will go away. Its a non issue. Then it happens again and again over and over again. The code every time is P2138. The service department even thinks an existing tsb is the issue 11273 but since my car isnt listed on it.

- Ofallon, IL, USA

Jul 232014

Traverse 6-cyl

This has now occurred twice within the past 30 days. While in motion, the vehicle transmissions jerks, and speed is immediately reduced to 5mph. The stability control light comes on as does the check engine light. A remote diagnostics scan from on-star identified 3 error codes: C0561, P0700, P182E. The first time it occurred while exiting a highway off-ramp. This vehicle was taken to the dealership. The dealership informed me that there were no know issues related to this, no recalls, and no service bulletins existed describing this behavior for the 2013 model year. They were unable to recreate the problem and returned the vehicle to me. This happened again yesterday while approaching an intersection and slowing from ~35mph with traffic close behind. This is an extremely dangerous system behavior which could have easily resulted in a severe incident in a dangerous intersection. While the vehicle is in the state where the stability control light is on we observed hard transmission shifting/jerking into and out of park, reverse, neutral, and drive. We turned the vehicle off for 15 minutes. Upon restarting, normal operations were restored with the exception of the check engine light. The check engine light turned off after ~25-30 miles of driving.

- Norton, OH, USA

Jan 062014

As I was driving on a highway I stepped on the accelerator and the car did not respond and came to a sudden stop in the middle of the highway. I had no warning and no ability to pull off to the side of the road. I could not restart the car and I had no power steering or brakes. I had my car towed to the local GM dealership and they found that a piece in the engine had fallen or broken and damaged the piston, the cylinder and the head of the engine. As the mechanic said, it was a "catastrophic engine failure." They replaced the engine in the car and then one day later, after having the car at the dealership for 32 days, the check engine light went on. I took the car back to the dealership and they found that the oxygen sensor was not working and they replaced it. GM told me that the piece that fell had not been tightened properly and this was missed on the final inspection. Not only am I concerned by having had this frightening experience happen on the highway, moreover in a new car, but the sudden stopping of the car while driving is the same thing that has happened to the cars that have recently been recalled by GM. I got this car because of its good safety profile however now I do not feel safe and secure driving this car.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA