2014 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse:

2014 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Sep 072016

Over the past 2 years 10 months I have lost the coolant in my air conditioner. They have filled it several times, adding dye, but had not been able to find the leak even though they acknowledged it was lost. Since the warranty was running out we took it in again after dye had been added and they finally started to look at the evaporators. They could not thoroughly inspect the front evaporator since a full inspection requires removal of the dashboard. They looked at the rear evaporator and found some corrosion (with a mirror) and a pinhole leak.. when they went to order a new part and GM had a footnote that if they were ordering a replacement evaporator they should also order and replace the blower motor since the copper in the motor brushes was attacking the aluminum evaporator. (the more you used the ac, the sooner it would show up and cause the corrosion. This is why each time it took about 8 months for the coolant to leaked out.) both rear ac parts were replaced but the blower motor for the front evaporator was not replaced and this may also be going bad. We won't know for a while since we won't be using the ac during the fall and winter months. Also, if these motors corrode the aluminum evaporator, it could easily attack other aluminum parts in the car and of course the coolant has been leaking into the interior of the car, both of which which may be a major safety concern.Chevrolet was aware of the issue but did not to recall these cars since generally the issue may not show up until the car is out of warranty. I have E-mails from john thornton Chevrolet's service man along with a picture of the evaporator but have not been able to attach them to this complaint form.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jul 272016

I was sitting at a light and heard chimes. The vehicle display showed service traction control, service stabilitrak and traction control turned off. When the light changed the vehicle would not move. There was some kind of engine loss but it did not stall out. The radio and the air were on and working fine. I tried many attempts multiple times to get the car to move but it would not move. This included putting it in park and also turning it on and off. The warnings continued to flash. Then after one attempt I felt it start to move at an extremely low rate of speed. As I was turning into a parking lot I felt something catch and the vehicle started moving at a normal speed. I turned the vehicle on and off again once I was in the parking lot. The engine light appeared but the service stabilitrak and service traction control did not display again. I know for a fact the engine light was not on when I was unable to move the vehicle. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem. There was nothing done to the vehicle and I was told that they have to duplicate it. I was also told this will occur again, the problem will not go away but get progressively worse over time and hopefully the next time the vehicle will not be able to start. I checked NHTSA website and there seems to be a number of complaints made for the exact same thing with many makes and models. This is a lease vehicle and I did contact GM and have a case number. I understand cars breakdown but what I don┐T understand is that a serious safety issues needs to be duplicated before a part can be replaced. I find it hard to believe there is not a recommended fix for this.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 012015

My car has been in the dealership three times for the same problem. After the car has been sitting, within 5-10 minutes of driving it will run rough, buck and not accelerate. The check engine light flashes in addition to the service traction control light. When you stop and turn off the car all of the system lights turn off. This happens intermittently the first time it was serviced the dealership changed the injectors on one side, then five months later it started again. Went to another dealership and they said they could not replicate the problem. Now at the first dealership that replaced the injectors and no system codes presented and they are not able to replicate the issue.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 092016

1.- during the last quarter of 2015, the vehicle started failing, shutting down itself on road or pulled over (random fail) 2.- after several days of ┐analysis┐, they determined that a ┐module┐ was damaged and had to be exchanged zero cost, since the vehicle is still under warranty. 3.- after several days of the car on the workshop, the finally provide us the car again, stating that everything was properly fixed and resolved. 4.- on January 2016, vehicle shutdown surprisingly on a road at high speed. Vehicle was sold in Mexico and dealership has not provided satisfactory service

- Mexico City, NM, USA

Sep 222015

As the vehicle was drining 50 mph, the car pulled to one side and slowed. And was not easily controllable. Nearly causing an accident I had to go over 3 lanes of traffic to safely pull over. The "traction control is off" light came on at the dashboard and the check engine light flashed several times. I hit the button to turn on traction control but it did nothing.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Jan 212015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was doing about 70 on xway and car started to slow down and jerking and engine light came on and said something about traction control off and also stability control. It lasted for about 30 seconds and then was ok. I took it in and they could not find anything. Now this happened again yesterday as I was getting onto the xway at about 55 mph. Now 29700 miles as I take again tomorrow and see if they can find anything this time.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Apr 072015

Traverse 6-cyl

During driving on the highway at speed 65 mph the power was totally lost. "stabilitrak, tranction control, reduced engine power" showed up on the display of the dashboard. I was lucky to pull to the side of highway.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Feb 182015

Traverse 6-cyl

Was drivingon garden state parkway, doing about 65 and allof a sudden my car started to shimmy and the traction control was flashing and the engine light went on. I tried to keep the car in control and started to pull over to the shoulder, by the time I got over the car went back to normal. It lasted about 2-3 minutes. I googled about this problem and saw that I am actually lucky that my engine did'nt shut off because apparently everyone else who this happened to, their engines actually shut off. I am bringing it to the dealership to be evaluated today. I am terrified to drive this car again!!

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Dec 182014

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate as the accelerator pedal sank to the floor board. The contact mentioned that there was a sudden increased in engine rpms and the vehicle failed to move. The vehicle was merged to the side of road and turned off. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Lynchburg, OH, USA

Oct 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving about 35-45 mph increasing speed and the engine on the car started to die, gauges all flashed and warning lights went on all over dash. The gauges all crashed to zero, as it was dying due to running out of gas but at the time it was between 1/2 a tank and 1/4 of a tank. Gave it some gas and it reengaged. Second not on a 2015 new one, I have been driving for a rental, 356 miles, driving at 75 mph and engine completely turned off, I had to make my way coasting to the side of the road without power steering or anything turn the key off and restarted the engine and it reengaged. But this is two of the similar issue on two different Traverses that don't currently have the recalls officially on them, . they are unsafe yet I have to continue to drive around with my family and children in the car and hope it doesn't occur or cause us to have an accident.

- League City, TX, USA

Sep 242014

Traverse 6-cyl

While pulling into a parking spot, I applied the brake and came to a complete stop. Put the vehicle into park and then removed my foot from the brake pedal, as soon as I did this the car began to move forward, I reapplied pressure to the brake and then slowly let it back off again after verifying that it was in the park position (which it was). The car continued to move forward driving over the cement curb stop and straight towards the glass wall of the business I had pulled into, and so I immediately applied the parking brake and removed the keys from the car. I then tried to restart the car but it would not turn on, only the engine light would come on, the brake pedal at this point was seized and I couldn't press it down, nor was I able to move the car out of the park position. After calling a tow driver he checked the transmission linkage and we were able to get the car started again however now the car is running, in the park position but the reverse camera is on and when I tapped the gas it began to back up. The car has now been towed to my local Chevy dealership who are investigating but they claim there is no recall's or notifications for a 2014 automatic Traverse (which there is!!). I just bought this car last month (Aug) and I see the notice was issued in Feb.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 122014

Driving normally at 55 mph. Car slowed to 35 mph and engine light came on, and dash read stabilitrac service needed engine power slowed. I could not go over 35 mph on freeway and very difficult to brake.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving on a major highway, my new 2014 Chevy Traverse lost all engine power. This is the 2nd time this has happened in several months. My vehicle lost power, lights went off and I nearly escaped a car accident while steering without any engine power! there was no warning- no lights warned us, no sounds, no sputtering- just lost engine power. I nearly was killed and avoided an accident on the highway. Several lights went off: "trak control off, check stab trak." GM has another vehicle on their hands that must be recalled. I do not want to put my young children back in this vehicle. It will kill someone. This is the 2nd event with this "computer glitch." Several months ago, as I drove the car off the lot - the lights went off and GM dealer said it was a computer glitch. To drive a new car, and without any warnings - no warnings when the engine completely shut down is a danger to the public. This is unacceptable. I don't want a new computer part. I won't drive this vehicle, it will kill someone.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Oct 152013

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while stopped, the engine warning light illuminated as the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 583. The current mileage was 656.

- Culver City, CA, USA