CarComplaints.com Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 202013

200 6-cyl

Upon picking my 2011 Chrysler 200 limited convertible up from the dealer after it was there for a few days for a recall for the head restraint (N38) and had an engine cylinder head replaced I noticed that the driver's side heated seat light was off. So far the heated seat itself seems to be working ok. I called the dealership (danbury, ct) and let them know of the issue, they want to charge me even though to me and to any logical person this is a direct result of work they did to my Chrysler, and may or may not be related to some sort of other problem. For it to happen immediately following computer updates, engine cylinder head replacements and other work they did is not a coincidence. I am unemployed and in grad. School and cannot, nor should not, pay for additional work done to this lemon of a car. Please look into this issue regarding the heated seat light. And to all prospective Chrysler buyers - run.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Sep 172013

200

My check engine light had been coming on. They checked it when I got my oil changed on 9/13 but it turned off that morning. It came back on the morning of 9/17 and later that afternoon when I was pulling into a restaurant the car shut off while I was going through the parking lot. I was able to turn it right back on and the check engine light was off again. If I had been crossing into traffic when this happened I would have been hit. I was lucky to be in a quiet parking lot at the time.

- Addison, MI, USA

Jun 242011

200 4-cyl

Was sitting still in a medium and was rear ended. There was no deployment of airbag, other system requirement or notification.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Jun 192013

200 4-cyl

The problem: Popping #33 fuse (switch bank/diagnostic link connector/PCM), have been replacing fuses each and every time so I can go on with my business. I find that it happens between shifting gears. It does not matter if you are in drive/automatic mode or auto-stick mode. Did not turn my car in right away (now I wish I would have) because I would have felt silly if I had my car towed and the tech. Found that a $.25 fuse was blown. This is a very serious issue with a risk factor through the roof because the drive train completely shuts down. No power steering, no power brakes. At highway speeds you pucker up and hope you can make it to the side without getting into an accident before your car comes to a complete stop. First time it happened, it just rained heavily and I thought something got wet - entering the freeway up shift from 2nd-3rd 34084 miles second time, turning into my driveway downshift from 2nd to 1st - coincidence? 35028 miles third time, abrupt stop downshift from 6th to 1st 36013 fourth time - pulling into work downshift from 3rd to 2nd 37112 fifth time - slowing down on expressway downshift 5th to 4th 38223 sixth time - slowing to a stop downshift 2nd to 3rd 38,764 seventh time - during rush hour stop and go traffic (the last straw) up-shift 2nd to 3rd 39,134 eighth time - within 15 minutes of seventh time stopping at a stop light. Downshift 2nd to 1st 39,146 ninth time - next morning on my way to the dealership - up-shift from 4th to 5th 39,164 went to dealership and made an appointment. Luckily I am conscious of my surroundings and was able to get out of harms way every time. I will not let my wife drive this car, for her safety, until it is fixed. Is there a documented fix for this?

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 142013

200

When I was making a gradual right hand turn (curve to the right) at approximately 15 mph, on flat land, I experienced total engine shutdown, electrical shutdown, and loss of power steering in a split second - without warning. After I gathered my composure, I put the car in park, turned the ignition off, then turned the ignition back on and I was on my way without issue since. My 2011 Chrysler 200 (4 cylinder) has only experienced this 1 time, but once is definitely enough for me!

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Dec 032012

200

2011 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine cutting off while driving. The consumer stated the dealer was unable to find a problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 272012

200 6-cyl

Car stalled on the throbs neck expressway while sitting in heavy traffic. When I got the car started again it initially wouldn't move. When I did make off the highway the car shut off on me completely. I barely made ut back to New Jersey in the car because the car struggled to accelerate & move all the way home.check engine light is on as well as several other lights on the dash board. I had my entire family in the car that night (2 kids; husband & mother in law). I have been to the dealership 5 times to this issue & its not bern solved yet. This is my second complaint about this car to the NHTSA this time is more urgent because this car stalled in heavy traffic on a major highway this could've ended so badly.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jun 082012

200

The electrical system started to cut in and out while driving down the highway. As I started to slow down for a stop light the vehicle lost all power. The engine died and there was no lighting. This happened at night and the car could not even turn on the hazard lights. After 15 minutes the car regained power and staryed. The navigation system was not functioning....it was just a bright white screen. After idling for 10-15 more minutes. I shut the car off and restarted it. It has been normal for the paat week.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Jun 012012

200

While at a stop light the engine shut off without warning. We could not get it to restart. But the radio and the windows worked. When we would attempt to restart, the engine light and the electrical light came on. We had to have the towed to the dealer. The dealer could not find anything wrong since there were no codes and they could not recreate the problem.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jun 032011

200 6-cyl

3/08/2011-car was purchased in ga.. headlight indicator light on all the time when car is running. 5/26/2011-left on an extended vacation across country to ca. 6/1/2011 smelled like wire burning, we lost all gauges and controls on steering wheel, radio loud pop just before the power loss. 6/2/2011-contacted dealer in ga. Advised to stop in bakersfield, ca. To have car checked 6/3/2011-bakersfield dealership deleted the code knowing we were going to merced, ca before fixing the car. 6/6/2011-car in shop in merced ca. 6/10/2011-steering column bezel was broken when we picked car up, part was ordered immediately. 6/15/2011-we were notified they sent wrong color for bezel. Were told by Chrysler assistance, they would order correct part & have it waiting in ga. When we returned home. 6/30/2011-home, no part waiting. Took almost a month to get bezel. 8/10/2011-bezel replaced in ga. 8/3/2011-turn signals malfunctioning, headlights wouldn't come on after entering a tunnel while on automatic. 8/10/2011-car back to ga. For repair. Repair not completed until 9/7/2011. 2/29/2012-lost all power to steering wheel controls, no power to deploy airbag if involved in crash. 3/2/2012- back to ga. For repair. 3/9/2012-shop manager called to check on car. 3/12/2012-shop manager called to check on car. While talking to him, after told him we weren't driving car due to airbag concerns til problem was solved, he stated he wouldn't drive car either due to possible airbag safety concerns. 3/20/2012-Chrysler requested we take car to dealer to be driven for unspecified amount of time to see if car will duplicate any of malfunctions. Unreasonable request, no offer to provide car while this is going on & mileage is now at 34886. Feel they are trying to get mileage past warranty before issue is resolved.

- Easley, SC, USA

Jan 252012

200 6-cyl

Check eng light on, traction control and antilock and cruise control inop.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Oct 102011

200

I first got the Chrysler 200M in June 2011. Two days after purchasing I was stopped at a red light and once it turned green I tried to go the car and had no gas, no brakes, and I was unable to put on my hazard lights. The car had completely shut off on me until I placed the car in park, turn the key to the off position, and then restarted the car. My second incident happened when I was stopped at a red light about to take a left. Once the light turned green I proceeded to go and then I had complete engine failure again; while in the middle of an intersection. I lost my gas, my brakes, power steering, my radio shut off, and was not able to use my hazards again. I had to place the car in park and once again restart it for the car to turn back on for me to be able to move out of the way of oncoming traffic. I then brought the car to the dealership where it stayed for one week; they said they were unable to duplicate the problem and therefore couldn't find the cause. The dealership has not given me back the vehicle and requested they drive the car with me to rule out operator error.

- Norfolk, MA, USA

Oct 292009

200 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle new on June 7, 2011. On September 29, 2011, while driving the vehicle on city streets and stopped at a traffic signal, the vehicle had a complete electrical system failure. I was unable to even turn on the hazard warning signals. The vehicle was completely without any power what so ever. This lasted about one to three minutes and the vehicle came back to life. On September 30, 2011, twice the vehicle had two (2) complete electrical failures while driving on city streets. Each time this failure lasted one to three minutes and the vehicle came back to life. October 3, 2011, the vehicle was towed to the Chrysler dealership. October 4, 2011 at approximately 9:00 am, the dealership advised that they could not find any cause for the electrical failure and released the vehicle back to me. This same day (October 4, 2011) I drove the vehicle on the freeways in southern California and at a speed of approximately 65 mph, the vehicle had another complete electrical failure. I had no power assist in steering or braking, the motor was dead, all instruments were black, complete loss of electrical. I was able to maintain control of the vehicle for approximately three to five seconds and then the vehicle came back to life. As a results of this incident, the radio system when it came back to life was damaged by the electrical system failure and I then took the vehicle to the same dealership to show them proof that this vehicle has a very dangerous problem with its electrical system. The dealership is once again trying to identify and correct the problem. I am sure that the reader of this complaint can understand how serious this problem is and the danger this problem presents to the public. As a results of this vehicles electrical problem, I was almost rear ended by a semi-tractor trailer rig.

- Murrieta, CA, USA