CarComplaints.com Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012016

200

They have recall on it but have not yet fixed the problem

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 222016

200

Car stalls without much warning while driving. Engine light comes on, then a slight jerk of the vehicle, then power cuts out. Power steering loss, , radio display goes out and hazards won't work, which is very dangerous. If I turn the key off, I can restart the car and drive again, but it happens every few minutes. Very scary to be driving in rush hour traffic and have the car simply shut down and not be able to at least signal other drivers with hazard flashers. Not a battery or alternator issue, as these have been replaced. Something needs to be done before someone gets seriously hurt because the vehicle intermittently just shuts down. Car is currently at dealership since mechanic could not figure out what was wrong.

- Dryden, MI, USA

Aug 062016

200

Pulling onto a major busy highway my car shut off completely and would not restart. After spending $533 dollars in June for a electronic throttle control sensor, I'm now being told I have to pay $1300 to have the totally intergrated power module replaced which afterwards I may have to replace a power sensor. Of course, they won't know if the 3rd part is need until they replace the 2nd.

- Chester, VA, USA

Mar 222016

200

Dash board lights flash, horn enables for about 20 seconds and vehicle does not start. Two batteries replaced. Two days of ase certified mechanic time. Half of which was charging the brand new battery that died within a week. On or about March 22, 2016, attempt to start car failed with the dash board light flash, horn enables, and the vehicle will not start. Horn enables for about 15 seconds each time we attempt to start. Autozone gold battery replacement performed by owner. Horn has not worked since this first incident; which should be considered a safety issue and not only addressed for possible wiring concern but passenger safety. Within one week, battery was completely dead and battery was replaced and installed by owner. Within one more week, battery was completely dead. On April 13, vehicle was dropped at ase certified mechanic mayberry in columbia, tn and most of 4/13 was attempting to charge the battery. On 4/14, diagnosis resumed with fully charged replacement battery. Loose battery cable tightened. No other issue found. No solution found. Suspect owner will once again have dead battery within days. No horn function.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 072016

200

Dash board warning lights come on and the car dies. I have had the alternator and alternator belt replaced last summer; now it is doing it again. The car is very dangerous and it simply "dies".

- Amanda, OH, USA

Jun 012015

200

The light for the airbag malfunction on the dash stays on all the time. When I first start the car it dings as it comes on. This car only has 12,000 miles on it now, but only 5,000 when this started. I am afraid of a malfunction if I have an accident. They light stays on all the time until you shut the car off. This started last June of 2015 and has happened every day since.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Oct 132015

200

One morning, while driving, I discovered that the lights were on but the switch was on off. The fog and bright lights would not function. The blinkers did not function. The windshield wipers, nor solvent would function. Took the car to the dealer and they had to reprogram the tipm. No explanation as to why it had to be reprogrammed.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Jul 172015

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. Upon starting the vehicle, the alternator and battery warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wilson, NC, USA

May 292015

200

Wipers sometimes do not turn on when I need them to. Highly dangerous, I have pulled over in the ran before because my wipers on a four year old car will not engage. Additionally, wipers will turn on randomly sometimes during the day when I don't want them to. Not as dangerous, but still very annoying. Chrysler tipm issue, the same one as previous issue 18 months ago. Wipers turn on randomly, sometimes won't turn on when needed. Replaced the tipm 18 months ago, and Chrysler refused to pay (started a ticket with their national customer care). Issue has returned completely 100% identically as before. I'm bringing it back to the dealership, and I've reopened the ticket. They said they will "see what they can do"

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jul 012015

200

Car died will driving. Had diagnose and was told alternator was bad. Heard Chrysler had problems with 300 model. My sons 200S model has same motor and alternator as 2011 300 model but Chrysler said 200S model is not affected. I believe different because the 200S has the 3.6L motor and 160 amp alternator. Same motor and alternator that the 300 has. I believe Chrysler is not standing behind their faulty products.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Jul 182013

200

My steering wheel became hard to turn. It was like driving manually. I took my Chrysler 200 to pep boys and they replaced the power steering pump. The steering was fine for a day then it went back to being hard to turn. I took it back to pep boys and they replaced the pump again. It lasted for three days and it went back to being hard to turn. I again retuned to pep boys and they then said that my rack in pinion had to be replaced. I could not afford to get the work done. I was told by Chrysler, that my warranty had expired and I would have to pay out of pocket. My car was not yet 2 years old. This was ridiculous. No one wants to take responsibility for the front end. I was told by a pep boys mechanic that they had worked on over 100 cars (Chrysler 200's) through enterprise rental and they had so many cars with the steering issue that they stopped working on them and just do the tune ups. If Chrysler knows about this then they should have repaired it. My car is still in this position. I have not been able to get repairs due to lack of funds. I still do not feel that I should have to pay for something that is wrong with a new car. Now I am having an issue with my turn signal. When I turn on my left turn signal, the dashboard lights dim. When I turn the right turn signal on, the dome lights come on. I, again repeat, this is a new car and I should not have to deal with these occurrences. I have had to change the battery in its second year, and replace the alternator. I look forward to hearing from someone. Thank you.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Apr 022015

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times and the contact had to make multiple attempts to get the vehicle to restart. The vehicle was towed several times due to the fact that it would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop who replaced the battery and the alternator, but the failure recurred. As the failure progressed, all of the various warning lamps, sensors, and gauges flickered on and off. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,850.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 042014

200 6-cyl

Over the past 4 months, our parents vehicle has been in to the dealership for servicing 6 times due to the vehicle being completely dead. The car never sat longer than 2 - 3 days without being driven. They were told the problem was due to the license plate light, then the glove box light not turning off, then they weren't sure. On 2/26, the vehicle would only start and run, while connected to the jumper. The dealership took the car in and had it for 2 full weeks. The dealership could not diagnose the problem. Mom & dad picked up the vehicle on March 14th, no explanation as to the cause of the problem. Went back to the dealership on March 19th to find out if any further information had been determined... nothing! they were then advised the car has to be driven all the time, to avoid dying because the computer system never shuts off and therefore, drains the battery when the car is idle. They were further advised to purchase and use a battery tender trickle charger and to keep it connected to the vehicle whenever the vehicle is not in operation. This is very inconvenient as our parents are in their 80's and don't get around so easy anymore. This is not an acceptable solution. They've had this vehicle for almost 4 years, if the computer issue as described by the dealer were accurate, why did it work properly for the first 3.5 years and now has issues? the vehicle is still under warranty however, without accurate diagnosis, nothing is being done. The last communication we've had with the dealer was Friday March 27th. Telling us if the car doesn't die again by this coming Friday (April 3, 2015), they'll be closing the case. The problem has not yet been diagnosed or resolved. Is there anything we can do, any information you can provide, to help our parents get this issue resolved?

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Sep 132014

200 6-cyl

While traveling on a New York state highway, all of the sudden all the dash warning indicators flashed on/off, the transmission shifted to low gear, the radio, ac and other electronics turned off. The car stalled right there in traffic. We had tried shifting gears, pushing the accelerator, and could not get the car to respond to anything. We did manage to coast to the side of the road. After a minute, we attempted and were able to start the car but it stalled out almost immediately. Further attempts to restart the car were not successful. After approximately 20 minutes, we were able to restart the car, and drive it to a garage less than 1 mile away. It did stall on us again, but in the driveway of the garage. The mechanic at the garage tested the battery, and the battery was fine ? we were able to drive to the garage luckily because the battery charge had the power to get us there. However, once we got the car running, idling, again; a volt-meter showed that the alternator was not charging the battery. It was very disappointing; but we had to replace the alternator. The new alternator is part # rl801624ad. We have done some research and have found Chrysler recall P60. This recall affects vehicles with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator. While my 200 model is not on the recall list, I believe it should be added to the recall. My car has the same 3.6L engine and 160 amp alternator as the other models affected. In reading the description(s) of the recall and the failure I believe I experienced this same problem. This same failure happened to me again the other day, after I have replaced the original alternator. I got in my vehicle to drive home, started the car, pulled out of the parking lot and just as I got onto the road (busy, city street) my car stalled with all the same symptoms ? flash of the warning indicators, loss of all power.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 272014

200 6-cyl

While driving on the road to my destination my car battery light came on. Drove it another 15 miles before the car began to die. I brought it to the dealership where it was determined my alternator had drained the battery and was no longer usable.

- Hartland , WI, USA

Nov 252014

200

Failure of alternator was indicated by battery warning light while driving on highway in heavy holiday traffic.it was necessary to keep driving slowly for next safe pullover location due to lack shoulder areas on elevated highway through city area at that point. Within a couple of miles multiple system failure warnings appeared(ABS, traction control, airbag) and car quickly began to fail engine and transmission functions with barely enough time to safely pull over on first available shoulder area. (this issue appears to be very similar to alternator failures on similar 3.6L V6, 160 amp alternator equipped Chrysler vehicles listed in recent Chrysler P60 recall.)

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Oct 092014

200

The alternator of the vehicle failed as I was driving and caused the vehicle to stop operating.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jul 012014

200 4-cyl

Letter from congressman garrett on behalf of constituent re Chrysler recall notice. 2011 Chrysler 2011. The consumer made an appointment with the dealer. However, they cancelled the appointment. The consumer referenced recall # 13V282000.

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA

May 152014

200

Car is a Chrysler 200, 2011, I was making a right turn, and the car stalled, the speed was around 10 mph, I contacted the Chrysler dealer near my home and they told me that " do not know why the vehicle stalled " I explained, I was driving make a right turn and car stalled, and nothing works, car die, told me to bring the vehicle and I will be charge for it. I when to this site and I found out that is a known issue with this car, why the dealer told me that " and why the NHTSA do nothing about, is very dangerous, I could be involve in an accident, could be injury or a fatal. NHTSA waiting to be fatality in order to get involved????? why we have to die " to take actions.please fix this terrible issue.

- Venice, FL, USA

Mar 122013

200 4-cyl

Car has gone dead when slowing down to make a turn. Brake light on dash flashed and when I tried to break at an upcoming stop sign my breaks went to the floor. Air bags did not deploy when this happened.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA