2012 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 172016

I bought my 2012 Chrysler 200 in 2013. I 've had a recurring problem with the engine running hot because some malfunction prevents the coolant from circulating through the engine. I have spent over $2000 trying to fix this problem and now my mechanic tells me the engine is no good and I'll need a new one. This happens when I'm driving. The car would run hot, I'd tow it in and my mechanic would fix it. And within a month or two, the problem would occur again. My mechanic ran diagnostics, he rebooted the computer systems and he gets the coolant flowing again but within weeks or a month the same problem reoccurs. I don't drive far to work approx. 10 miles daily commute. I may take a road trip on occasion but there is no unusual wear or tear on the vehicle. Im reporting this problem Aug 2016 but this has been a recurring issue over the years and the car is just for years old. I bought it used in 2013. I've spent so much money fixing the same problem and the car's problem always seems resolved until a few months down the road I have to fix it again. I haven't even paid the car off and its kaput and ready for the graveyard? this really is something Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and fix. I need a new engine now and I've already spent over $2000 trying to fix this issue.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jun 212016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the electronic throttle control light illuminated. The vehicle slowed to 20 mph and went into limp mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electronic throttle control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,200. Udated 07/26/16.....updated 08/01/16

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 202016

The vehicle shut off on me after making a brief stop in traffic. And then again while actually driving. The next day it shut off on me after a stop sign. Absolutely no prior warnings were given of any problems. Now the ck engine light comes on intermitantly. The stops cause loss of power steering and control of vehicle. (busy city street).

- Montebello, CA, USA

Mar 162016

Takata recall...I purchased the vehicle 2 months ago at darcars in marlow heights, md and I have already put the car in the shop 4 times for different issues. The biggest issue is after 2 weeks the engine cut off on the beltway(I 95) while heading to the store. Thank the lord that I was able to get on the side lane but I was almost hit by 3 cars, also, 2 weeks after that while driving the engine became very, very loud on the road so I ended up putting it in the shop for 3 days. It is a shame that people/dealers can sell lemons. Please help me with issue to get my money back from the dealer...$12,000 I can be reached at (301)613-8819. Thanks!

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Sep 262012

On April 26, 2012, I purchased a brand new 2012 Chrysler from an official Chrysler corporation dealership. Since then this car has been put in the shop approximately 30 times for from medium to major problems. The 1st major problem was 9/26/212 which was diagnosed as gear-rack and pinon. It has had two lifters(relative to the motor) because of loud tapping. Three heater cords; a couple of re-calls;transmissions leaks; internal engine damages; headlamps needed immediate replacements; washer fluid tank leaked and needed immediate replacement; the car horn failed to blow on demand; brakes needed immediate replacements; camshaft, rockers had to be replaced twice; heater cord experienced internal failure and had to be replaced; brake pads; brake light (dashboard) has been beeping on since 2013 and is still doing the same thing today; engine air filter had to be replaced; and a host of other vehicle problems that should not be happening on a brand spanking new 2012 vehicle!! please assist and advise.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Dec 262015

I own a 2012 Chrysler 200, the engine stops/fails about every two months while braking or while stopped. This is dangerous as it can stop anywhere and they might rear end the car or something. I have taken my car to the Chrysler dealership 4 different times with the same issue, the first time they changed the PCM. After about 2 months the car's engine stopped while braking or while at a stoplight. The 2nd and 3rd time I took the car they did not find anything wrong with the car and gave it to me after a couple of days. The 4th time when I took the car they said that it was the battery and they put in a new battery. Well about 2 days ago the car stopped again while at a stoplight. I have not taken the car to the dealership as they never find anything wrong with the vehicle. I am tired of them not finding what is wrong with the car. I believe that I speak for many Chrysler 200 owners when I say that an investigation needs to be done for the whole Chrysler group, especially to the 200, which have many complaints online and none one seems to find the solution. Please investigate this for the safety of the drivers. I am so sick and tired of the mopar mechanics not finding anything. I do not know if the issue is with the PCM, computer, or engine. Please investigate.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Dec 102015

While accelerating after crossing a busy state highway the car "jerked" and the malfunction indicator light came on. ( prior to this I was idling at a stop sign and I proceeded straight across the road. ) I was in the process of immediately moving to the side of the road when the car lost all power and shut itself off. I did not initially try to restart the car but once I returned to it in a couple of hours I was able to start the engine. The indicator light remained on. I did not drive the vehicle but had it towed to a service station. The car has less than 80.000 miles.

- Wauseon, OH, USA

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while parked, the heating system was not emitting hot air. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator and heater core needed to be replaced. In addition, the cooling system needed to be flushed. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Harrison, TN, USA

Sep 152015

Car dies for no apparent reason and during any type driving. Of course, when motor dies power steering is lost. Extremely dangerous in the heavy austin traffic that I drive in. May just shut down on a major overpass with no where to go. This vehicle puts my life and families life in danger. This shut down can happen at 10 mph or at 60 mph or above. I try to bypass major highways in austin even though it may be several miles out of the way, and so far have been able to avoid any problems. It seems ridiculous to have to travel like this. My car engine is a 2.4L and I know there has been a recall on Chrysler's 3.6 L engine in the 200, but I believe this engine needs to also be recalled

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Nov 062015

Submitted a complaint where I inadvertently listed my vehicle as a 2015 Chrysler 200. My car is a 2012 Chrysler 200. Could you change my previous complaint of this same date to reflect a 2012 Chrysler 200.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Sep 242015

On September 24, 2015, in the morning at 7;30am, heading to work. Heading towards the pa turnpike. My Chrysler 2012, hard-top converter car engine shuts down/ stalled without any warning. This is the second time that I have experienced this problem. Last year, it happend in Florida as well. I take it to the dealer in Florida, and they did not find a cause. In both instances, I have to turn the car off and restart it. I'm concern about this problem because it is a safety concern while driving this car both on the local roads; as well as, the highways. I mostly used the pa turnpike to get to work every mornings. The other complaint I have as well is in the changing of the gear stick (from park to drive, and vice versa). At times, it is seems to be difficult to change gear. This is an automatic transmission drive system so it should not be so hard in changing gears.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Jun 262015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving 20 mph, there was an abnormal knocking noise emitting from the engine compartment of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed, but the details of the failure could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Aug 162015

While driving, the car began to rapidly lose functionality while warning lights were appearing on the dashboard until it abruptly shut down while driving in traffic. The time from no warning lights to complete loss of functionality was approximately 10-15 seconds. The shut down included an abrupt loss of power steering and braking capabilities while driving on a busy street at night. I was able to quickly compensate for the loss of power steering and braking and stop the vehicle while avoiding a crash, but just barely. Thankfully, I broke down next to two police officers who helped push my vehicle onto the side of the road. These officers may be able to attest to the fact that no noises or abnormal operation of the vehicle was apparent before the abrupt shut-off while driving. Attempts to restart the vehicle involved no clicking or the engine attempting to turn over. The vehicle is currently being repaired, but the preliminary diagnosis is one of a faulty alternator. I will attempt to retain the faulty alternator from the repair center. I had only started the car 2-3 minutes before the incident and there were no apparent electrical issues (engine struggling to start, lights dimming, etc.) while starting the car or during operation.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Jun 262015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 10 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact required a jump to restart the vehicle. The engine started and the instrument panel illuminated, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Mar 172015

While taking off from a stop light. The 2012 Chrysler 200 cut off with no warning (no stalling, sputter, hesitation of the sort). I was stopped not on the hwy but a major divided four lane hwy. (ga 54, newman, ga at the intersection of U. S. hwy I-85). After several restart attempts. The vehicle restarted with the engine malfunction light illuminated. This vehicle only had 45,466 miles on it with all maintenance up todate being completed by the chysler dealership purchased from. Dealership notified, appointment scheduled for 3-26-2015. Who wants to drive a vehicle with a defect that the manufacturer is well aware of. Just look at the amount of complaints.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Mar 072015

200 4-cyl

The car has stalled on four different occasions while driving. It stalled three time while driving in traffic. One time it stalled on the highway. The car has turned back on after a couple of tries. A malfunction indicator light comes on after the incident and stays on for a period of time. The light simple goes out without any intervention. Everything appears to be running okay and then another incident of stalling occurs.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Dec 052014

Under normal driving conditions all of a sudden the vehicle accelerates on its own. The engine stalls and loss of steering. The electronic throttle control warning light comes on and blinks, as well as the engine light and the traction control light comes on. Acceleration is only at 20% of what it normally is with intermittent thrust of power followed by engine failure. This lasts for several miles then the problem seems to disappear. Chrysler has no idea a out this problem with there vehicles and if U take it to an auto repair place. It says the vehicle is fine when they plug it in. I did some research on this to find out what to do and the internet is swamped by people with this car, this same year or around the same year... with the same problem. This vehicle is unsafe. Logic suggests that Chrysler wont voluntarily recall this vehicle for financial reasons which is understandable but at the same time I don't wanna die because I cant control this car when it has the above mentioned "episode".

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Oct 082014

200 4-cyl

I was driving along that morning into work when my battery light came on. I then proceeded to call around to find out what was going on. Later that afternoon my car complete stopped working and was "freaking out" on me while I was driving. After coming to the conclusion that it was not my battery that died, it was my alternator that stopped working. Now my vehicle is sitting in the front of my house not wanting to start up.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times, but a failure code could not be located. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35,460.

- Smithland , KY, USA

Aug 082014

200 4-cyl

Was at a stop light and after taking off the car shut completely down with no warning no engine light indicator until after this happened. I tried to start it and it cranked but didn't start all the way, I had it towed home and now it starts. I had a six month old infant in the car with me when this happened and I don't feel safe when the car can just shut down like that. I feel there is a default in the engine, we purchase this car a year ago. Thank god there was no one behind me when this happened. I also have had problems with the brakes from when we purchased the car I brought the car to the dealer four times before someone figured it out. It was fine for four weeks and the noise is back, there is a noise in the brakes only when you press the brakes lightly. This problem has not been resolved. And the the warranty is up. I feel it's a defect. Upon my last visit to Chrysler there was a customer there who also has a 200 with the same brake problem they were trying to resolve.

- Danielson, CT, USA