2012 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 082014

200 4-cyl

I was driving along that morning into work when my battery light came on. I then proceeded to call around to find out what was going on. Later that afternoon my car complete stopped working and was "freaking out" on me while I was driving. After coming to the conclusion that it was not my battery that died, it was my alternator that stopped working. Now my vehicle is sitting in the front of my house not wanting to start up.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 012014

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times, but a failure code could not be located. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35,460.

- Smithland , KY, USA

Aug 082014

200 4-cyl

Was at a stop light and after taking off the car shut completely down with no warning no engine light indicator until after this happened. I tried to start it and it cranked but didn't start all the way, I had it towed home and now it starts. I had a six month old infant in the car with me when this happened and I don't feel safe when the car can just shut down like that. I feel there is a default in the engine, we purchase this car a year ago. Thank god there was no one behind me when this happened. I also have had problems with the brakes from when we purchased the car I brought the car to the dealer four times before someone figured it out. It was fine for four weeks and the noise is back, there is a noise in the brakes only when you press the brakes lightly. This problem has not been resolved. And the the warranty is up. I feel it's a defect. Upon my last visit to Chrysler there was a customer there who also has a 200 with the same brake problem they were trying to resolve.

- Danielson, CT, USA

Jul 292014

200

2012 Chrysler 200 shut off while driving 45 mph down the hwy with 2 children in the car. I lost power steering and my brakes. Luckily, I made it to the side of the road. It restarted once I turned the key to off first, but shut off on me a second time while idling a few minutes later. I have not driven it since.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Feb 072014

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 252014

200 6-cyl

My 2012 Chrysler 200 S stalled on a major highway. After coming to a complete stop due to traffic the vehicle would not accelerate, the steering locked up and then it shut off. There were no malfunction lights or any other type of warning called Chrysler and they said that there are no recalls for this despite there being a number of complaints reported.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 172014

200 6-cyl

In March 2014 owner noted a problem with the HVAC system - no heat was delivered to the passenger side air vents or heater vents in cold weather. During routine oil change mechanic noted severe discoloration of engine coolant and buildup up sludge in coolant expansion tank. Took vehicle to dealer for diagnosis. Dealer stated that the coolant had been contaminated with the addition of the wrong type of coolant. Per Chrysler star # S1207000008, dealer flushed coolant system multiple times and commented that if that didn't work they would have to replace the heater core, radiator, oil cooler, and expansion tank. When repairs were completed owner noted that the temperature output from the air and heater vents was 20 degrees lower on the passenger side than the driver side. Dealer stated that repairs were complete. Owner is in process of contacting Chrysler to have heater core and radiator replaced.

- Littleton, CO, USA

May 162014

200 4-cyl

Brakes rotors bushings engine has whine and what sounds like a miss clicking noise on start up, clicking when turning ignition key withoht starting completely, and clicks when turning key off. Salesman says he called Chrysler and was told the 200 car is made to veer to the right to stop driver who might accidentally go to sleep from entering oncoming traffic. Dealership said call warranty. Had this 2012 car a with 46K that was a rental for a few days so far its engine is quite noisy. Calling warranty company to make appt to have car checked out.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 052014

200 4-cyl

Today, while on the interstate traveling at 60mph, attempted to accelerate and car would not accelerate. Could hear the engine trying to accelerate but the car kept slowing down. Did not see any lights (engine) light up on the dash to indicate a problem. Pulled into emergency lane, stopped and turned engine off; restarted car and it has not occurred again today.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Feb 142014

200

Entering freeway was accelerating, merged into a lane and took foot off of the accelerator and the car rpms kept climbing and speed kept increasing within 10 seconds it stops and will respond normally usually happens when there is a quick attempt to accelerate.

- Kimball, MI, USA

Mar 052014

200

Shifted the vehicle into reverse, when the vehicle is then put into drive there is a loud bang.

- Kimball, MI, USA

Jan 212014

200

Vehicle engine light went on. Unable to accelerate. Vehicle stalled and pulled over to side of road. Happened 5 times in 16 mile trip. This occurred when vehicle has 18-20000 miles requiring towing of vehicle. At that time, repair involved wiring repair and replacement of sleeve. The problem has clearly recurred. This is a safety issue.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Oct 162013

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that after having his vehicle serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) the check engine light illuminated at 50 mph. The vehicle was taken to a the dealer for inspection and they stated that the evac hose needed to be replaced due to the fact that a rodent had eaten the hose. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,122. Updated 02/11/14 the consumer stated there was a problem with the fuel tank evaporate hose.

- Norcorss, GA, USA

Aug 022012

200 6-cyl

My car stalled on me about 3 times in August. Twice while driving at a low speed and once while parked. I took it Chrysler and they said they didn't find anything. It happened again in September so I brought the vehicle back to chrystal and was once again told they could find nothing. After that while driving on the highway at about 40mph the car started to lose power and traction control, emergency brake and ABS light lit up and the speedometer just waved back N forth. It felt like it was stalling and luckily I was able to pull over. I took it back to Chrysler and told them its very dangerous and I can't drive the car like that. They then called me saying they found a loose battery terminal and to see if that helped. No it didn't. while driving on a highway again the car started to lose power and then stopped but did not stall. When I stepped on the gas it mad a noise but did not move. I had to shut it off and restart it. I will going back to Chrysler for the fourth time to see if they will fix this dangerous problem.

- Bogota, NJ, USA

Sep 102013

200

In traffic, steering wheel tightened up and all interior lights were off. Tried to brake but no response, shifted into neutral restarted the car and it turned back on. Seemed to mess up the shifter a little in the process, as well as almost hitting the car in front of me. Probably going about 10-15 mph, and I was lucky to throw the car in neutral and restart otherwise I would of floated into an accident.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Apr 012013

200 4-cyl

The Chrysler 200 vehicle that I purchased in April 2012 was brought in again on 7/1/13 for service due to front end clanging metal noises which occur while turning, backing up, slowing and stopping. This undiagnosed noise began following several engine stalling episodes, two of which required towing (since I was unable to restart the vehicle to drive in for service). The engine stalling episodes occurred while driving at 55 mph and as stated, twice resulted in towing and service. Service on the engine stalling problem occurred in April and again in May 2013. It is unclear why the remedy for the engine stalling was not followed per the NHTSA recall id # 11V487000 (engine and engine cooling) technical service bulletin/Chrysler manufacturer remedy- since that recall had already been published. In addition to this safety issue, the front end metal clanging may be the result of towing due to the engine defect and/or a result of another vehicle defect (recall #11V315000 - steering column). This is a vehicle that has multiple problems and poses a serious safety issue due to various problems. It needs to be off the road.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jun 122013

200

As I was driving my car it just stop running, there was no warning lights or nothing came on the car just stop. Then it would not start back up until the next day when it was at the dealership. They check the car out and they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is not the first time this happen and they still can not find out why the car is stopping. Then the lights came on the dash board and I took the car back to the dealer ship and they still could not figure out why they came on because the computer did not report that any lights came on. Then they keep my car over the weekend and they said the car ran fine even though they know the car did stop but since the computer couldn't tell them that there was something wrong with the car there is nothing that they can do. This is a very unsafe car..I wish I know this before I brought this car...

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 232013

200

2012 Chrysler 200. When slowing then accelerating in turn about, the 200 will often stall for a second or two, then proceed. Seems to especially happen when attempting to increase speed quickly to enter traffic. The engine will stall and become unresponsive for a second or two before responding again. This has been unsettling a couple of times. This seems to occur when turning and accelerating. I do not have any issues when accelerating in a straight line. The second speed issue is that the 200 is slow to stop revving when accelerating. On several occasions upon acceleration, when I lifted my foot off of the accelerator, the engine kept revving for a couple of seconds and the car kept speeding up. This has not caused any safety issues.

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Oct 302012

200 4-cyl

2.4 liter 2011 Chrysler 200. When slowing then accelerating in left turn lanes and turn abouts, the 200 will often stall for a second or two, then proceed. Seems to especially happen when attempting to increase speed quickly to enter traffic. The engine will stall and become unresponsive for a second or two before responding again. The entire process is that I brake and slow for the turn or to enter a round about, when there is an opening, I accelerate, the 200 will speed up as expected, then the engine will suddenly stall and become unresponsive for 1-2 seconds, then resume as normal. This has been unsettling a couple of times. This seems to occur when turning and accelerating. I do not have any issues when accelerating in a straight line. The second speed issue is that the 200 is slow to stop revving when accelerating. On several occasions upon acceleration, when I lifted my foot off of the accelerator, the engine kept revving for a couple of seconds and the car kept speeding up. This has not caused any safety issues. It only happens when I accelerate quickly. When driving normal, this issue does not occur.

- Dryden, MI, USA

Dec 072012

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while making a left turn at an unkown speed, the engine stalled and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure could not be determined. The failure mileage was 5,887 and the current mileage was 8,495.

- Oxnard, CA, USA