2012 Chrysler 200 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 172013

200 6-cyl

This Chrysler 2012 200 started to have brake squealing issues at about 7,000 miles I went to dealership and they told me that it was probably just being broke in since I purchased this car at 200 miles on it. The problem continued and no one at the dealership would address this problem. I then told them they had to do something about it and they then told me that there was not a fix for this that Chrysler could not fix this problem. And that they the dealership dennis dillon and Chrysler had no idea what to do. I continued to drive my car and in September of 2013 my car's check engine light came on and I took into the dealer dennis dillon and was advised that my cylander head was gone and would need repaired. I was told to go ahead and dive my car while the parts came in. My car was fixed and picked up from dealer then 1 day later my car overheated on interstate and broke down was then told a clamp came off and was then fixed. Since this issue my car has not driven the same. It is sluggish. I asked the dealer about the lemon law and was told to contact Chrysler. I did so and was told by Chrysler that there is nothing anyone can do. My brakes still sqeal very loudly and chrylser told me that its becasue they replaced the brake pads and no longer have asbestos' in them. I then advised them that I have driven other models and makes and did not have that problem. They refused to be of any assistance. My steering is also an issue in which the dealership has said that it needed an alignment but since the car was only a couple hundred miles on it. It has pulled severly to the left. This is not acceptable and this car needs to fall under the lemon law and be dealt with.

- Caldwell , ID, USA

Jul 102013

200 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that there was no power steering fluid in the vehicle. The vehicle was replenished with power steering fluid but the failure recurred. The also contact stated that the power steering hose exploded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 6,047. The consumer stated there were numerous problems with the vehicle, such as a coolant leak, oil leak, air condition, the cd player did not work, the power steering hose burst, the wire harness, the transmission was replaced, the engine was noisy and the seat belt on the passenger side was not properly installed. The vehicle cut off several times. Updated 10/31/13

- 708-507-9305, MD, USA

Sep 102013

In traffic, steering wheel tightened up and all interior lights were off. Tried to brake but no response, shifted into neutral restarted the car and it turned back on. Seemed to mess up the shifter a little in the process, as well as almost hitting the car in front of me. Probably going about 10-15 mph, and I was lucky to throw the car in neutral and restart otherwise I would of floated into an accident.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Aug 192012

While returning to airport for return trip home, was in the 2012 Chrysler 200 rental car. Slowed down to go into a curve and when came out of curve it was like the vehicle was sucked off the road to the right. Had no choice---that is where the car was passenger and I were airlifted to hospital. I suffered from 3 back fractures, 3 rib fractures, fractured sternum, contusions to the lungs and 26 stitches in the forehead. Was in hospital for a week and out of work for about 2 months. Passenger had 2 back fractures, rib fractures also. I have asked avis/budget to get this car out of their fleet before someone gets killed. Chrysler needs to recall this car. They had steering recalls on the 2011 model.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Apr 092013

200 6-cyl

It has been increasingly difficult to see at night when driving my Chrysler 200 2012 in low lit areas due to the headlight beams. Less light" aimed low" I have to drive far slower than posted around bends at night. I don't recall this issue when I bought the car brand new. I have had it one year and have just over 10,000 miles. I don't usually have to drive at night other than my well lit neighborhood, so this could have easily gone unnoticed. Either way, this terrifies me. The other issue I have is a jerk when shifting to reverse or drive. It is a loud clunk and I feel the vibration. I will not drive at night in low light areas until resolved. I also feel the car pulls to the right when driving. I will contact the dealer soon, until then I just don't feel safe driving while on dark roads.

- Lower Burrell , PA, USA

Jul 202012

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that when driving between 16-22 mph, the vehicle would hesitate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the vehicle was changing gears as it was designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 2,000. The consumer stated the very day they picked the vehicle up, it stalled in the entrance way. The dealer claimed, the vehicle ran out of gas. As her son drove the vehicle home, he noticed when coasting at low speeds, the vehicle would kick back. The mechanic stated the jerk/kick was from the engine shifting gears. The kicking would go away, when the accelerator pedal was pressed. When her son turned the steering wheel to the right and then straightened it out, by turning the wheel to the left, the steering wheel locked up. He put the vehicle in park and shut off the engine. He tried to re-start the vehicle several times, but the engine would rev up tight until it was about to start, but would immediately shut off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where they found a code, but it had nothing to with the problem, that was being experienced. Updated 01/16/13

Nov 212012

200 6-cyl

Drove approximately 0.5 miles when the engine started to kick back, drove another 0.5 miles and as I was parking the car the steering wheel locked up. Put the car into park and turned off the engine. The car would no longer start as the engine would rev right up until the engine should flip over but the car just shuts down at that point. Waiting for a tow at this point to the nearest dealership.

Nov 212012

Car started kicking back, had to accelerate to stop the kicking. Then while parking the steering wheel locked up and engine died. Kept starting and it kept stalling.

Oct 182012

200 6-cyl

Driving vehicle to investigate symptoms and during regular casual driving the car stalled, hydraulic brakes went and steering locked while slowing through a school zone. I'm a certified tech with H-D, kawasaki, BMW, and have never had a service manager deny a request that involved serious systems like this until today. That is why I'm filing this complaint on your site, I was told by the S.M. that they couldn't get my 29 day old 200 in before next week Monday! this is not a safe car, anyone reading this please do not buy this car!!!! mdm.

- Converse, TX, USA

Oct 172012

200 6-cyl

I was driving my new Chrysler 200 3.6L approximately 25-30 mph pressed the gas pedal and had no response. Engine was dead, the steering locked-up causing the vehicle to pull right running off the road. Fortunately, my two children and myself were not harmed. I am extremely disappointed/angry that my children were put into this situation. I believe this is a an unsafe vehicle and investigation should take place.

- Converse, TX, USA

Apr 252011

When slowing down almost to a stop, the vehicle downshifts hard. It cause a shutter or jerk and you can feel even in the brakes. Feels awful and cannot be normal. Also, when accelerating, the vehicle pulls hard to the right.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Jun 022012

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that when the vehicle accelerated and pressure was released from the steering wheel, the vehicle veered sharply to the right. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the contact was told that was how the vehicle was designed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 1,700 and the current mileage was 3,000. Updated 09/21/12 updated 09/24/2012

- Riverside , CA, USA

Mar 302012

I rented this vehicle from enterprise in henderson nc. While traveling to nashville, tn., I noticed that the car often lost handling capacity when coming off small bridges as there is often a small drop off. This happened at least 7 times as I decided to slow down to 55 (limit is 65) whenever crossing them. This is quite a surprise and I had this experience only once before and it was on a very small vehicle some 10 years ago. It was noticeable to the point that my passenger felt it as well and I would have had a wreck had I snatched the wheel during these scenarios. To be more clear, after crossing the small bridges...maybe 20 yards long on average, there is a drop off to the normal highway and the front end does not transition down, it actually takes on air before doing so and that is where the loss of control comes in. I would hope this can be tested and corrected before an owner loses his/her life.

- Warrenton, NC, USA