2016 Chrysler 200 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chrysler 200:

2016 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Vehicle lost power while pulling into traffic. 2016 Chrysler 200 S with 2614 miles...engine was warm. I stepped on the gas and lost all power (electrical), followed by engine stall behavior, power loss, stall behavior, then transmission knob light flashes "D" and instrument cluster says to select gear again. Was nearly rear ended and/or T-boned by oncoming traffic. Dealer performed 4 flash updates today.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Aug 222016

Bought this 2016 Chrysler 200 S 4 cyclinder in July 2016 with only 4900 miles on it. Car was a dealer program car still under factory warranty. Today, 8/22/2016 at 6157 miles the car stalled while my teenage sons (3 of them) were driving on city streets to school (this is the car they drive everyday). The car stalled while driving three separate times losing all power with a message in the dash reading "shift to P". once shifted to park the car did start but only after making an odd noise while pushing in the ignition button. Needless to say this is extremely dangerous to have a car lose power while on the road especially with new teenage drivers. Bought this car in large part because of its safety ratings but this clearly is the exact opposite of safe. I will take to dealer in the morning to see what they say. Lots of other complaints about same issue although most seem to be with the 2015 not 2016. Nonetheless, how can one feel safe again putting their children behind the wheel? no idea what caused this issue. The drivetrain does not shift smoothly either particularly when transitioning from reverse to drive when coming to complete stop.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Jun 202016

The gear shift can be easily and accidentally knocked into reverse park or neutral while driving and wjrhout needing to apply brake. I was driving and my cellphone slid out of the cellphone mount and hit the knob and threw my into park while driving on the freeway at high 60 mph I was fast enough to move it back over to drive but it could have caused an accident or damage to the vehicle. This type of thing has happened on more than one occasion I accidentally put it in reverse while driving thinking I was moving the fan knob down at night while driving. Also my friends son put my car into park while adjusting the temperature as well. You should never be able to move the gears so easily or in reverse or park without brake or pushing the knob down or something terribly unsafe!! all of the times this has occurred I was driving also there gave been times I thought my car was in park but was not was actually in reverse very dangerous

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jun 272016

I was stopped at a red light, when the light turned green I stepped on the accelerator to go and could not move!! the car refused to shift! I looked down to check and make sure it was in drive and it was! I was nearly rear ended, people had to drive around me. It took around 20 to 30 seconds for my vehicle to shift into gear and move forward. While trying to move forward it revved to around 5,000 RPM. I have a child with me. What would happen if someone rear ended us? I know Chrysler has numerous issues with the transmissions to these vehicles and I am sorry but they should not be allowed on the road with problems like this!!

- Coventry, RI, USA

Feb 082016

Thereally is a problem with the transmission and electrical system with this car. My car jerks everyday when shifting from park to drive and it hesitates. I took to the dealership for service and was told it is supposed to drive like that until the car is adjusted to my driving style. Also, onew day I was driving and out of nowhere in lose total power in the car. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. I have a 7 year old who rides with me everyday. This car is not safe.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 022016

I just bought this car in March of 2016 and has been in dealership over 9 times already for the alignment, tires already going bald and the transmission. I was driving one day down a street that has a 55mph speed limit and the car just died and lost all power it wouldnt go at all so I had to pull over and restart the vehicle finally it went then ever since then the car shifts very rough and jerks you and the dealerships keep telling me that its the way the car is supposed to drive but I know its not also the service transmission light came but the dealer says that codes were there to show which was odd to me also another issue with this car is sometimes when I put it in drive, reverse etc the electronic ebrake just comes which almost had me hit a few times now I have had this car 3 months now and its in the shop more than I can drive. I would say this car is unsafe and highly advise not to buy

- Hartville, OH, USA