2016 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chrysler 200:

2016 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Jul 122016

Purchased car April 2016, incident on or about 12 July 2016. Following is hand delivered letter of 22 July 2016 to dealer's service manager and sales manager regarding the problem: "on a recent road trip, I learned that going downhill on an interstate highway with the cruise control set at 65, the vehicle's tachometer pegs out and the speed increases to more than 85 mph. Thankfully there were no vehicles in front of me or I would have probably collided with them, at at that speed would have probably been killed. Fortunately I had the reflects to hit the brake and disengage the cruise control. When the cruise control deactivated, the engine revved to a point I feared it would blow up. After several very long seconds the engine returned to normal. I pulled to the side of the road and remained in the car until I stopped shaking and my heart stopped racing." After one week having no response I again went to the dealership and no one knew what I was talking about. Finally I got the sales manager to read the letter. He said he had nothing to do with it, see the service manager, more or less the same. I then emailed Chrysler Corp via their website and provided the information. Response was Corp required their tech to witness the dealer's electronic diagnosis. Back to svc mgr who contacted the tech and arranged for test the following week. Car in Monday, ready Friday. Corp tech's determination was the 9 speed had no braking feature and the best advise was to use the brake. Back to Corp with: "it is so disappointing and reprehensible to learn that Chrysler is endangering buyers of their product by knowingly denying responsibility for a faulty and deadly design. At the outset my demand was either fix the problem as I do like the car, or a total refund of the purchase price. I received neither. My only recourse is a lawsuit, that would last longer than my not buy!

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jun 252016

The contact owns a 2016 Chrysler 200. While driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. While exiting the driveway with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle would accelerate without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the technician could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,870.

- Huron, OH, USA