8.8

2016 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chrysler 200:

2016 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Jan 162016

200

My car will die while driving or puts itself in neutral while on the hwy. We have almost been in 5 or more accidents becasue the car behind us has no idea my car has stopped while going 65 mph and car just dies. We have been in touch with the dealer they have tried fixing this car at least 5 times as of now we have has their rental for car for over 35 days my vehicle has 19,000 we bought it brand new. Also would like to go on record if anything happens to me or my children because of this defect I gave the dealership many chances to fix they have even called someone from out of town to fix and I'm still waiting I do not want to die or get injured due to this problem also the problem started at 306 miles and has not been fixed yet

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Jul 012016

200

On several occasions, while the vehicle has been in motion the vehicle has accelerated on its own and under different conditions with different drivers. The vehicle surges forward and the tachometer jumps over 6 RPM. On a separate occasion, while trying to merge onto a highway, the accelerator was pressed all the way to the floor but the vehicle did not respond almost resulting in an accident. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer 3 times with no clear idea from the technicians as to what is wrong with the vehicle. The first time it went to the dealership, it spent two weeks and their techs could not duplicate the problem. It was recommended that a "black box" recording device be installed in the vehicle. The device is cumbersome and a potential hazard to drivers who must try to push the button on the device while the vehicle is unintentionally accelerating. The vehicle duplicated the problem again when it was given back. On the third trip to the dealer, the black box info was relayed to Chrysler and the vehicle is still siting there after a week and Chrysler techs have issued a do not let the customer back in the vehicle order. Basically, Chrysler has seized my vehicle, to which I am still paying for, and they do not know what the issue is therefore cannot fix it. A complaint has been filed with Chrysler Corp.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Jul 122016

200

Purchased car April 2016, incident on or about 12 July 2016. Following is hand delivered letter of 22 July 2016 to dealer's service manager and sales manager regarding the problem: "on a recent road trip, I learned that going downhill on an interstate highway with the cruise control set at 65, the vehicle's tachometer pegs out and the speed increases to more than 85 mph. Thankfully there were no vehicles in front of me or I would have probably collided with them, at at that speed would have probably been killed. Fortunately I had the reflects to hit the brake and disengage the cruise control. When the cruise control deactivated, the engine revved to a point I feared it would blow up. After several very long seconds the engine returned to normal. I pulled to the side of the road and remained in the car until I stopped shaking and my heart stopped racing." After one week having no response I again went to the dealership and no one knew what I was talking about. Finally I got the sales manager to read the letter. He said he had nothing to do with it, see the service manager, more or less the same. I then emailed Chrysler Corp via their website and provided the information. Response was Corp required their tech to witness the dealer's electronic diagnosis. Back to svc mgr who contacted the tech and arranged for test the following week. Car in Monday, ready Friday. Corp tech's determination was the 9 speed had no braking feature and the best advise was to use the brake. Back to Corp with: "it is so disappointing and reprehensible to learn that Chrysler is endangering buyers of their product by knowingly denying responsibility for a faulty and deadly design. At the outset my demand was either fix the problem as I do like the car, or a total refund of the purchase price. I received neither. My only recourse is a lawsuit, that would last longer than my money.do not buy!

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jun 252016

200

The contact owns a 2016 Chrysler 200. While driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. While exiting the driveway with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle would accelerate without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the technician could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,870.

- Huron, OH, USA