2006 Chrysler 300 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300:

2006 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012016

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle accelerated rapidly without warning. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 37,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 232016

300

Throttle stuck causing the vehicle to accelerate in a parking garage while coming around a turn at approx. 10-15 mph. Brakes were applied with both feet, full force, but the car continued to accelerate. Causing damage to 4 vehicles. Totaling the Chrysler 300, and 3 parked vehicles. One Lincoln mkz SUV, Honda SUV, and a Ford F-150. Skid marks were left indicating the vehicle was not slowing down. No personal injuries, but several thousand of dollars in property damage. Police report was taken, but is not yet available. Report # is 16-2335 with the lansing township police department-lansing, Michigan. Incident date 5-23-2016.

- Mason, MI, USA

May 012015

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, all warning lights illuminated and the gauges decreased. In addition, the vehicle stalled and restarted independently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- North, NJ, USA

Feb 192016

300

My wife was driving home at night from the store in a residential street and car all of a sudden accelerated on its own. Wife tried hard to apply the brakes but car would not slow down. She tried hard to control car to avoid poles and trees and hit hard in ditch. Air bags failed to deploy. Wife suffered contusions and bruises. Car was considered a total loss by insurance company. Tried to notify manufacturer to report the failure and just kept getting a run around from them. Apparently they do not stand behind their products. I see several other complaints on this same issue but no recall was ever issued.

- Franklin, VA, USA

Feb 242016

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the throttle became stuck and the vehicle unintended increased to 95 mph as the warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle failed to slow down and the engine revved rapidly. The contact's foot was placed underneath the accelerator pedal in order to decrease the vehicle's speed and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle was driven with caution. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Elma, WA, USA

Jan 252016

300

The vehicle stalls in motion and when at idle after I get gas. This happens every time now, since January 25, 2016 it did not happen before this date.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Sep 102015

300

After work I was driving home as usuall down a very busy main road with alot of traffic and light controlled intersections. I was about 25 min away from home when I was beginnign to make a lane change and excellerate over to the right lane. As I began to get over without a warning or notice my power steering went out and I was unable to turn my wheel without excessive force. As I continued to cost into the other lane and grab ahold of the steering I realized not only did this shut off but the engine did as well. I guided the car to the safest place I could (still in the middle of the intersection and put the car in park. Hundreds of cars drove by honking and swearing at me leaving me stuck in my vehicle as it was to unsafe to get out. After about 15 min of that streess a helpful older man helped push me to a safer part of the street until my boyfriend could get to me and have the car towed home. After a week and a half and close to 500 later I was called with the news that a cylindar collapsed causing my engine to fail. It would be a 7,000-9,000 repair at the least. The problem with this is that I still owe 13000 on this vehicle and it barely blue books at 10000. So why would I pay the money when I have never had an issue with this vehicle in the 3 years of owning it and had no warning or way to prevent it. I always took my car to a dealer to be maintenced and never missed an oil change so how could this be happening to me. Now I am stuck with a car in front of my house that doesnt work and had to purchase another vehicle in the mean time while I am dealing with trying to make chrylser responsible for this horrible situation. I have done massive research on this issue and learned that this year is already known for this issue and found over 200 compaints with people just like me who this happened to. Please help me to get this repair covered or my car purchased back.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Jul 242015

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. While driving approximately 45 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck and the rpms and speed increased without warning. The contact crashed into a concrete pillar. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 12/01/15

- Douglas, GA, USA

Aug 272015

300

I drive a 2006 300C hemi w/60K miles.I bought this car from a friend. This car has been in this city since 2006. Mid day temps 105'. I was running errands in town. I had stopped at 7 different locations, turned the vehicle off and a few minutes later returned to the car and continued with my errands. I was in the car sitting at a 4 lane intersection waiting for my turn and I looked down at the dash and the oil can light came on, then traffic started to move and I couldn't, my car had stalled. I turned off the A/C unit, the radio and put it in park. I tried 6 or so times to get the car to start but it wouldn't.I engaged my flashers while other drivers were honking and driving around me.I left it in traffic and got to the sidewalk out of danger. I was calling for help when a motorist pulled up behind my car and asked whats wrong. I told him it just died, sitting still waiting for our turn to go thru the intersection. He got in the car that had been sitting there for about 5 minutes and it started right up and he drove it to a safe parking lot. I parked the car in my garage and there it sits. I am afraid to get stranded in traffic again. I did some research on the web and found that Chrysler announced on Feb 13, 2014 Chrysler extends lifetime warranty on 2006, 5.7 and 6.1 hemi fuel tanks. Apparently, no one has died yet so it does not quality for a recall but this is a known problem. I would like to know how I can qualify for this warranty?

- Washington, UT, USA

Jul 092015

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact had to shift into park and turn the key to the off position in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 252014

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle's speed decreased to 40 mph without warning. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal and the vehicle began to respond. Later that evening, while backing out of a parking lot, the vehicle stalled approximately four times without warning. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's home; however, while driving approximately 65 mph, the speed decreased to 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000. Updated 7/8/15

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jan 222013

300

After filling the gas tank, in phoenix, AZ, entering an intersection, the car stalled! we were almost hit by a car coming from another direction. It did this (stalling) many times. Scary! apparently they issued an internal memo in June of 2013. In may, 2014 Chrysler sent a letter to us extending the gas tank warranty to a lifetime coverage. They said it was the "fuel shut-off float, in the multifunction control valve sticks, which may result in the vehicle stalling after refueling." "simply contact your dealer to have the re pairs performed". challenge is: The dealers do not have any fuel tanks. Glendale, ca Chrysler has a waiting list of 2,276 yesterday, October 1, 2014. We are and have been #8 at hunter Dodge in lancaster, ca since early May. We never fill the tank. It is too great a risk! help please.

- Bishop, CA, USA

Sep 012011

300 8-cyl

Back in September of 2011 when the car had 115260 miles on it, I had been having issues for some time with the car not shifting into higher gears when trying to pass someone on the road. The car seemed to want to stall but then would pick up and drive fine but it got to the point where the car would stick in a lower gear and not get over 58 miles per hour even if I had it floored. They replaced the valve body input speed sensor for this at a tune of $1041.99. Next issue with this car was a tie rod on the passenger side of the car. I kept hearing a knock noise that I just couldn't put my finger on but I told the guys at the garage that it sounded like it was coming from the front tire area on the passenger side. The mechanic said that the tie rod was getting ready to break. The current issue with this model for me is the fuel. I just had a vapor canister installed that did not solve the issue but it did get rid of a few of the problems. When I first started having problems with my car shutting down after a fill up, I thought the gas had water in it but it's not the gas. No matter what station I fill up at, I have the same symptoms. The car will drive fine for about 3 car lengths, then it will hesitate, choke, jump, try to die, jerk forward and then finally stall and shut itself off. Then it will take 3 or more tries to get the car to restart and it may do the same things over again for another block or two. The bottom line is, in the first 3 blocks of driving this car after a fill up, I can expect just about anything and I know for sure it will die on me if I fill it up. If I only put in 3/4 of a tank of gas or less, I am safe but if I let the pump kick off on its own, I'm in trouble. The only thing the vapor canister did was stop it from jumping and jerking, all the other symptoms are still there. This is very dangerous in traffic.

- Dixon, KY, USA

Jan 292014

300 8-cyl

Filled gas tank at station. Drove.25 mile and vehicle stalled while accelerating from a stop light. Stalled 3 more times within the next mile. I parked car and shut it off. Restarted 30 minutes later and drove about 1.5 miles and it stalled again while pulling into a parking lot. No problems until I filled up at a different gas station 5 days later. It stalled again after pulling out of the station. It always starts right up.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Jan 272014

300 6-cyl

My vehicle is well taken care of but recently I have had the engine stall while running when I come to a stop like on a turning lane, at a stop sign, a signal light. This would happen when the car comes to a stop while running. What I have noticed is that as I slow down for a stop the idle RPM's drop down low and make the car stall and the engine stops. If I feel there is a safety concern I'll put the car in neutral and rev the engine to keep the RPM's from dropping out and stalling. The stalling has compromised the safety of driving as I never know when its going to happen or if it will happen. The car has went to the dealership but they could not find the problem because no code showed up and they could not duplicate the stalling in the shop. I also took it to my personal mechanic where it could get some real attention and unfortunately he could not duplicate the problem either. He did clean the throttle body. I'm waiting for the car to stall again to retrieve the soft code by towing it directly to the shop.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Dec 282011

300 8-cyl

When the Chrysler 300 hemi 2006 receives a full tank of gas, the Chrysler 300 hemi 2006 shuts off after the initial start of the engine and an additional two to three times. After several starts of the engine, the Chrysler 300 hemi 2006 begins to move, but stalls and chokes while in motion. During the stalling and choking the Chrysler 300 hemi 2006 looses steering ability.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Dec 192013

300 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway on my way home from work and all a sudden the check engine light came on and the car shut down and the RPM dropped. I couldn't steer or anything. There was no warning or nothing luckily I was able to drift slowly to the side and there wasn't no serious accident. I restarted my car and it drove normally after this incident but check engine light stayed on then again today on the 24th of December I was driving to the store and the same thing happen but again good thing I was in the far right lane to pull over...im not a rocket scientist but this isn't safe to drive my car and especially while I have my kids in the car, something bad can happen.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 182013

300 6-cyl

I was driving my car down the street at approximately 30mph and the engine shut down without any warning; however, the radio and dashboard lights stayed on. I was able to start the car up immediately with no hesitation. This happened once on 11/18/2013 and twice on 11/20/2013. The check engine light never illuminated to indicate a problem on any of the 3 occasions nor have any codes been put out. On 11/21/2013, I had the car towed to a repair facility. Prior to these 3 incidences, I had never had this problem nor any major problem with my vehicle, which I purchased brand new in June 2005. This problem did not occur after refueling, my tank was half full when the problem first occurred. The repair facility has had my vehicle for 7 days now and the car has stalled on them several times as well, however, they have no idea what the problem is. The facility has been in contact with Chrysler technicians and has researched the technical bulletins, with no solution to the problem. The repair facility determined that the issue sounded related to the throttle body even though the car didn't kick out any code so they checked the throttle body and noted that its voltage was out of the specification range so they replaced it and updated/reset the car's computer, but this did not fix the problem as the car has stalled since they've replaced the throttle body.

- Largo, MD, USA

Aug 182013

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine RPM reading increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 30,000...updated 11-01-13 updated 11/6/2013

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Mar 132012

300 8-cyl

Our Chrysler 300C has stopped running while driving at least 10 times over the last year or so. On freeway and city streets. It usually starts back up once your stopped. My wife is afraid to drive it anymore. It is a very scary situation. No engine, no ps and no brakes. No code or check engine light. Everyone I have talked to with a 300 has had the same problem, no matter what the year or engine. Like most there is no sense taking it to dealer. They just say no code and give you some bs story about what caused it. No come up with a fix. Chrysler knows they have a problem and won't man up and fix it. They would rather someone die first to save money. It has to be in the computer. Just like Toyota and their fly by wire throttle that was causing all the crashes. What is the public suppose to do if they won't step up.

- Escondido, CA, USA