2011 Chrysler 300 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 300:

2011 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments

Jan 012015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed were not available. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle jerked violently when resuming acceleration. The dealer stated that the contact was number fourteen on a waiting list; however, the repair may not be performed due to parts not being available. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was 40,133.

- Epes, AL, USA

Dec 302014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While the engine was running and the vehicle was parked, the contact heard an abnormal ticking sound coming from the front of the vehicle. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 052015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While driving 40 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Hope Mills , NC, USA

Dec 172014

300 6-cyl

On my way home from work today, I was driving about 40 mph when I got a battery saver mode message. I had been getting the message a few days now and didn't know what to think of it. A little further into the commute, I started smelling a burning smell. All of a sudden, all of the vehicles systems start to shut down and the car just dies (while I'm driving it)! luckily I was able to pull off into an empty parking lot using the momentum of the car, but I wasn't even able to use my hazard lights. It had completely died. Scary to say the least.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 012014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While attempting to stop the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise coming from the passenger side brakes. The contact also stated that the ABS and traction control warning lights illuminated. Additionally, when depressing the off/on button, the engine hesitated to shut off. The button had to be depressed multiple times on some occasions in order for the engine to shut off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,000.

- Pear Land, TX, USA

Oct 062014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled. As a result, the contact crashed into the base of a light pole. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Oct 242014

300

On morning of 10/24/14 when vehicle was started a message came on stating "battery saving mode" looked at manual there was no instructions as to what that meant. Then the vehicle was driven, while driving the RPM indicator would move up on its own and then the brake light, traction and ABS warning light came on and stayed on. After the warning came on the car despite pressing on gas pedal would not accelerate then a rattling noise came on so I quickly proceeded to attempt to exit the interstate freeway. As I tried to do that the steering started locking up, I had to push very hard on the brake to slow the car down and stop it. The vehicle completely shut off, unable to turn on or operate anything. The vehicle could not be jump started. When the vehicle was towed to the Chrysler dealership they were unable to charge up the battery and now they believe an alternator failure may be the reason for the engine to stall.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 252014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the engine stalled as the battery saver warning indicator illuminated and smoke started to emit from the vent. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Jul 182014

300 6-cyl

I was on interstate 40 when I noticed a whining noise coming from my vehicle just as I took my exit. I was able to make it to my destination when I noticed a burning smell coming from under the hood. I went to the nearest gas station and soon as I pulled in my vehicle began shutting down. The message said it could not detect my key and it was going into battery saving mode. Shortly after that, all power was lost and I was unable to restart the vehicle, I was unable to roll up my windows and lock my doors. It was after midnight when this occurred and the gas station was closed I had to enlist help from strangers to try and figure out the problem to no avail. I ended up staying at a hotel overnight and the next morning I was able to get a jump and get to the nearest auto parts store where they tested the battery and determined the alternator was failing. I am now in a position where I cannot drive my vehicle with the lights on, which means I cannot drive at night I can't use the ac and it is July, or drive with the radio on until I am able to replace the alternator. I am running off of battery power alone until this problem gets fixed.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 102013

300 6-cyl

Alternator caught on fire while engine was stopped\car parked while driving on interstate, the battery indicator came on, indicating a problem with the charging system. I continued on to my destination about 3 miles. When I turned the car off, there was an obvious smell of something being "hot" and I raised the hood to see if I could see it. The alternator was obviously very hot, and slightly smoking. Assuming it was ok now that I had turned it off, I went inside the building to call the dealer. Luckily, I changed my mind about trying to drive the car any further and decided to have the car towed and went outside to wait for the tow truck. When I got back to the car, the alternator had actually caught on fire and was blazing, dropping some melted materials onto a underbody air dam and appeared to be spreading. I was able to extinguish the fire before any more damage occurred. It appears that the alternator is severely damaged and there is some wiring damage as well as some damage to the surrounding wiring harness. There is no doubt that this fire would have spread to the entire vehicle in just a few minutes, as it appeared to be self-propagating and on its own would not have gone out.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Mar 032011

300

Shifter was squeaky sounded like an old car every time you shifted to a different position. Took in to the dealer services center and while they were fixing other issues they said it needed to be replaced so they did. Now 6,000 later it sounds the same and when I took it in ones again for other issues they said it needed to be replaces. Apparently the shifter is defective. My car has only 36,000 and has been in the shop 7 times and all different issues.

- Mission, TX, USA

Mar 222013

300

Has had a recall saying it can cause fire if not replace; took in for repair. Tire gauge is always wrong short fuse on all lighters and components check engine went on and know they are telling me they need to replace a malfunctioning cylinder head on a 3.6-liter pentastar V6 engine..

- Mission, TX, USA