2.1

2006 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Aug 172014

300C 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C that recently broke down. When I took it to the dealership for repairs they said that valve seat deteriorated and dropped on the piston. They said it had a grenade effect and sent metal everywhere, which jammed metal inside piston. I was told that I need a new engine which would cost me $3,500 for a used engine and $5,000 for a new engine with $2,200 labor costs. I did some research and have found that there are numerous people that have experienced the same issue. These are some resources I found: www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/why-some-late-model-dodgechrysler-vehicles-are-prone-to-catastrophic-engine-failure-210043421.html www.torquenews.com/397/two-fatal-flaws-ruining-Chrysler-engines-catastrophic-breakdowns www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysler/300C/2006/engine/engine-7.shtml www.reddit.com/R/cars/comments/257X31/2006_chrysler_300C_dropped_valve_seat_damage/ www.challengertalk.com/forums/F188/report-pre-mature-Chrysler-engine-failure-98463/ www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/T-187432.html www.justanswer.com/Chrysler/6qzew-Chrysler-300C-5-7-hemi-dropped-valve-seat.html www.challengerforum.com/F17/engine-failure-1123/ www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/359652-new-from-S-jersey-2005-Chrysler-300C-dropped-valve-seat I also joined a group on facebook and personally talked to many people who this has happened to. I called Chrysler to notify them of the issue and was told that there was nothing that they could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said they stand behind the original decision. I have contacted the BBB, the local news station, and the consumer protection division of the attorney general's office in Michigan (the state where Chrysler's headquarters are located).

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Sep 212011

300C 8-cyl

The car stalls at random after a fuel fill up. Eventually it will run normally, however it happens multiple times first and puts me in a dangerous position when it stalls in traffic. I have had both fuel pumps replaced last year and it seemed to help for a while, now the problem is back.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Sep 022014

300C 8-cyl

2006 Chrysler 300C. Stalls shortly after fueling. Does not resolve until the gas cap has been removed and allowed to sit. Called the dealership and they say my car does not fall under the recall parameters. Was told to reference this number PE13-016.

- Collinsville, TX, USA

Aug 202014

300C 8-cyl

Purchased a 2006 300C srt8 in 2014. This is the 2nd time that this has happened. After the 1st refueling the car stalled and bucked and then after a few miles calmed down. I thought perhaps it was bad gas. During the 2nd refueling, with 93 octane, and just as the fuel clicked off, the engine stalled. No check engine light in either situation. The car was worse than the last time. The car stalled at each light all the way home. This happened approximately 4 times and then it stalled again as I parked it in my driveway. I called the local dealer concerning this and they said they are only ordering 6 replacement gas tanks a month and that 95% of the time an additional flex pipe or tube breaks during the repair procedure and that I would be responsible for this additional cost. What kind of a deal is that? I thought warranty work was to be at no cost to the consumer.

- Miller Place, NY, USA

Aug 012013

300C 8-cyl

The car randomly stalls out and sometimes while driving at highway speeds all the lights will briefly flash on in the dash, immediate loss of power and violent bucking. This is ridiculous! it happens all the time. This is not the full fuel tank stalling issue. I already had the tank replaced. This happens at wot or at idle or in between. This car is unsafe to drive. I have no confidence in the car anymore. I still love this car, but I'm considering going on a crusade against Chrysler unless they do something immediately to fix this. Read the forums - many people are having the same issues with the 6.1L and 5.7L engines. No one knows what to do. Please help!!!

- Hampton Bays, Ny, NY, USA

Jul 262014

300C

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300C. When the contact attempted to start the ignition, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the engine piston exploded and extensively damaged the engine. The contact was informed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 84,320.

- Tonawanda , NY, USA

Jul 212014

300C 8-cyl

Was passing a slower vehicle when car stalled. Two days later, after filling up with gas, it started dyeing off and on. This could be a very serious problem if driving at highway speeds!!

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Mar 292014

300C

Since last March my Chrysler 300C srt8 2006 is turning off the engine while in movement. I noticed the problem always happen when the fuel tank is full or around 3/4. it's a very serious problem because I almost crashed the car many times considering that when the engine turns off the steering gets heavy and the brakes doesn't work properly. Now I'm not confident to put my family in the car because I am afraid to have a collision and hurt myself and my family. I made a research at the internet and I realized that a lot of 300C owners have the same problem that it's called as engine stall. Now I want Chrysler to help me to solve this matter considering it already happened several times and it's very dangerous to drive the car with this defective.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Aug 052013

300C

After a fill-up (not topped off) on August 5, 2013 as I merged onto the freeway the engine stalled and there was a complete loss of power. I was extremely frightened because my grandson was in the back in his carseat and it was peak traffic time. Additionally without power I was having a hard time maneuvering the car to the side of the freeway to a spot where there was enough room to stop. I was able to restart the engine but the engine was not running smoothly. At the first off ramp I pulled off the fwy but the engine kept stalling whenever I had to slow down or at a stoplight. This was another safety issue for my grandson and me. It was a miracle that we were not involved in an accident. When I took the car to a Chrysler service center the outcome was that they could not recreate the problem. The next morning I received a call from a service rep and was told that he researched the problem and that the gas tank needed to be replaced. I asked if Chrysler took ownership of this problem and was told no¿. for overall safety I had the tank replaced. ($1200) I also contacted Chrysler Corp to relate the engine stall incident so that they would be aware and investigate for safetys sake. Essentially I was told that Chrysler was not aware of any other complaints and they would not accept responsibility for the need to replace the fuel tank. I first experienced an engine stall after a fill up on October 12, 2012. I had the car towed to the Chrysler service center and after checking the car the invoice stated road test vehicle, did not die at stops or while driving, no codes in PCM. Transmission fluid, engine oil full. There was limited driving of the car. My VIN is not covered under the recent extended warranty even though I have the same problem as other car owners. Chrysler needs to accept full ownership before there is a serious accident.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Jul 022014

300C 8-cyl

I was driving home from work and everything seemed fine. I stopped at the convenience store before I went home, so I turned the car off, went in, and when I came back out, the vehicle would not start. It was trying to turn over but wouldn't. eventually I got it started for a few seconds and revved the engine a little to keep it from shutting back off, and it sounded like rocks were inside the engine, then turned off after maybe 3-4 seconds of running. Got it towed to a local chain garage. The next day they called me and said they got it running for about 30 seconds and it sounded like there were rocks inside of it and that its probably a broken rod, and that could have damaged much more inside. Now I'm not sure what to do with this car. The repairs might end up costing the value of the car, but selling it without an engine is basically worthless. I have no backup car to drive in the mean time, or money/credit to buy a new one. This should not have happened to a well maintained car with under 100K miles on it, and it seems to be a common problem. The company should at least acknowledge there is an issue. Updated 2/12/2015

- Pottstown , PA, USA

Jul 052014

300C 8-cyl

I drove my 2006 Chrysler 300C hemi with my soon to be wife and 4 year old daughter to go food shopping and was low on gas after shopping I filled the tank up at a chevron station and as I tried to pull out of the station it died. It took 3 tries and it started again then on the freeway as I was changing lanes it died again in the middle of traffic and I was scared to death for the safety of my fiance and small child I coasted to a stop in the middle lane because I couldn't get over either way with cars behind me honking I calmly tried to start the car and on the 3rd try it started and got us back to martinez. It died twice more at stop signs and a light. Very dangerious. I bought the car a week ago because my fiancÉ is 6 months pregnant. And I wanted her to have a 4 door to make it easy on her with the kids.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Jun 042010

300C 8-cyl

Engine stalling after fueling. We first suspected bad fuel, but soon learned we were not alone in this issue. We waited years for the local dealer to finally admit to a problem with the fuel tank rollover valve. Chrysler then issued a lifetime warranty on the tank. As soon as the lifetime warranty on the tank was issued we took the vehicle to our local Chrysler dealer and was told we were # 6 on the list waiting on tanks that are on back order. I checked status this past week and the dealer said he now has a stack of back orders for these tanks. What good is the lifetime warranty if the company is unable to provide parts support. We really enjoy this auto but the stalling is getting more common and we feel it is becoming more dangerous to drive.

- Deland, FL, USA

May 012013

300C 8-cyl

The car stalls randomly. There seem to be two scenarios when the stalls occur. One scenario is at idle (less than 1000 RPM). The car will just stall at a red light, at a stop sign, a rolling stop, when driving at very low speeds, etc. The other scenario is at wot. All the dash light S flash on and off quickly, the car lurches violently, loss of power, occasional stall. These two situations may or not be related to each other. I have had the fuel tank replaced already because of the stalling that was occurring after fuel fill up. That took care of that specific stalling scenario. There still remain these two stalling scenarios. They are very well documented in the online forums. Many drivers are experiencing the same symptoms. It seems to be happening to all 5.7 and 6.1 hemis in the 300S, chargers, challengers and Jeep. No dealers can find a definitive solution. I and many others love our cars, but this is just unacceptable. We don't want to give up on Chrysler, we just want a solution. This is a very dangerous situation. Our cars are stalling randomly. This is similar to the GM stalling debacle. Please help us prevent a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep debacle. By the way, thank you for your work in helping to find a solution on the fuel fill stalling issue. The lifetime fuel tank replacement was an adequate solution. I must note to you that included in the fix was a statement saying that "this did not represent a dangerous or life-threatening situation." I disagree 100%. I almost died a few times due to the random stalling after fuel fill. We all know the dangers of random stalling - just ask GM car owners.

- Elmhurst, NY, USA

May 052014

300C

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled multiple times. The oil sensor light also illuminated each time the vehicle stalled. The oil was changed twice by a local mechanic and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to replicate nor diagnose the failure. The contact was unable to pass an inspection due to the vehicle having a fractured passenger side tie rod. An authorized dealer diagnosed and repaired the right tie rod. The vehicle was scheduled to be inspected and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,430.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 012013

300C

After you get gas in the car and drive away the car will stall and then you have to put it in park and restart your engine.this can be dangerous, especially if you are in moving traffic at the time.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 152011

300C 8-cyl

After filling the fuel tank with gas and entering the freeway the car stalled. Every time I fill the car up with gas the fuel tank will just stall. I took the car to the dealer and was told that I would have to have the fuel tank and lines replaced. This is a serious safety hazard. When the car shuts off the steering wheel locks up and you must come to a complete stop before putting the car in park to restart it; all while trying not to be rear-ended by coming traffic. I continue to have the problem today. I took my car in for maintenance and was told that there's now a recall on the fuel tank, but due to the massive number of recalls, the part is on back-order.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jul 092013

300C 8-cyl

Every time I fill up my Chrysler 300C it stalls out several times. The first few times this occurred I was almost killed in a wreck due to the fact it stalled in a major intersection. This is not safe and very frustrating. Chrysler is doing nothing to help. I read several complaints online and it just seems like a recall should be in affect. I trusted Chrysler when I purchased this vehicle to provide me with a quality product that they would stand behind but yet they won't. please help they victims of Chrysler.

- Palestine, TX, USA

May 032010

300C 8-cyl

After refueling, the car stalled while making a left hand turn onto a busy highway. All the engine lights came on. Car was hard to restart. At the next intersection while the car was stopped, it stalled again. This continued to happen intermittently over the years. Had it looked at by Chrysler while still under extended warranty, they said they could find nothing wrong. Lately, this has happened every time we put gas in the car. If driving on the expressway after a fill up, sometimes the car will sputter and temporarily loose acceleration.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Mar 112014

300C

When I started pulling out of the driveway it started to shutter badly and stalled out. It started back up but it immediately was running very rough as if it wasn't running on all cylinders. I took it to my mechanic where he put it on the scanner and a code came up stating that the #6 cylinder was faulty. When running the car has no power and you can hear a distinct clicking of the mds solenoid. As it click on and off the cars idle was normal then very rough. Service records are immaculate, oil changed every 3000 miles with mobil 5-20 full synthetic. Service suggestions have been strictly followed. The solenoid was changed out and it ran fine for about 500 miles and then it started doing it again, very random and mostly when you go into passing gear on the freeway that's when you totally lose power and it shutters violently. We cant find anything for suggestions on how to fix it except that it may be a bad computer or a clogged oil port in the cylinder head. Both possible solutions are very costly and I would hate to spend all that money and it not fix the issue. There is a serious issue because of the acceleration problem could very well cause a serious accident.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Apr 192014

300C

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds the vehicle would stall without warning. The contact indicated that after restarting the engine the vehicle would operate normally before stalling again. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no remedy was offered. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Jupiter , FL, USA