2006 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Sep 042015

My car has been displaying erratic behavior for about the last seven months. The more recent problem I've experienced is that my car shuts off at a complete stop and sometimes as I'm braking to come to a stop at a light and power steering locks up as it shuts off. I feel this is extremely unsafe being I've dodged a few accidents already because of this issue. What if I'm at a light and getting ready to turn or make a U turn and it shuts off in on coming traffic, or if I'm on the highway and I have to suddenly brake and it shuts off at high speeds. I'm not sure what can be done but I hope I can get help some way, some how. I feel my life depends on it.

- Middle River, MD, USA

May 272015

The car cut off 3 times in one day for no apparent reason; once while pulling out into oncoming traffic, then after fueling the car and pulling out of the gas station into oncoming traffic, then while driving down the street at about 35 mph. Fortunately, I safely guided the car to the side of the road to avoid a collision. The dealership replaced 2 sensors (code:P0038)- $501.98. One week later, the car continued to cut off while driving. The dealership codes that came up: P0038, P0058, P0052, P0032, pmc & engine harness, & pmc engine computer - $2000 - declined repairs because sensors (P0038) were just replaced. Chrysler service bulletin 08-34-05 June 30, 2015 addresses this issue. Chrysler Corp -michael browsowski says the car (now 56,484 miles) is out of warranty so they owe us nothing, but as a good will gesture, they will pay for 2 parts only - not labor. He admitted that a car cutting off is unacceptable, but refused to cover the entire cost of repair. He also refused to reply to my written complaint in writing. Chrysler continues to shirk their responsibility to recall and repair this manufacturer's defect. Customer with same complaint:

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 282015

I was driving the car from work I made a left turn onto the street that leads me to my house the vehicle stopped I tried to make it start back up nothing happened. I called the tow place to have it towed to Chrysler they took a look at it the next day saying the engine has seized it needs a new engine.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jul 172015

I'd like to make a formal complaint against Chrysler for complete engine failure, without warning, of my 2006 Chrysler 300C and respectfully request an investigation into the issue. On 7/17/15, I went into the store with my child, returned to my car and it would not start. The system read, "system ok." Smoke blew from the tailpipe. Finally it started, but shook violently. Grateful I was not on a highway alone or while driving. I could have been hit had this occurred in traffic. It has cost me $560 (three tows to repair shop #1, Chrysler dealership #2 and finally home and a charge from each repair shop to look at and assess the damages (not to mention the cost of the rental cars). End result, "piston #4 damaged, missing large piece of piston top, need to replace engine, estimated cost $8093." The service tech said he'd never seen anything like it. Based on numerous reports of complete engine failure found online while researching the cost of replacement engines at, I now don't believe that at all. Chrysler has proven to be untrustworthy. There, the 2006 Chrysler 300C has the most overall complaints of complete engine failure. See worst model year graphic at, based on number of customer complaints. It seems the 2006 Chrysler 300C engine itself is simply the problem and chances are a new engine too would likely fail. The Chrysler dealership said, ┐┐we'd just junk your car┐Ł (a fully-loaded 2006 I paid $44K for brand new). Now, with 94000 miles on it, it is junk? there is no explanation for what happened. Something is very wrong at Chrysler. In 2013, something caused complete battery drain. Driver door began falling apart. After filling up, my car stalled in traffic while driving and idle. Maintenance gets done at the dealership.

- Seatac, WA, USA

Apr 222015

I had half a tank of gas. I stoped at the gas station and fiiled my car up. When I pulled out of the gas station as im riding down the rode my car felt at it was jerking are as the transmission was slipping then the oil light came on and the car shut off in the middle of the rode. I put it in neutral and crunk it back up and drove into a nearby parking lot and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot it shut off again. I then again put it in neutral and crunk it again. It shut off after a minute. I then repeated those steps and just set there for thirty minutes or so and let it run and it didn't cut off after that. Every time I fill my tank up I have this same problem. My car runs fine long as I dont fill my tank up.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 262015

Vehicle stalled out at about 5 mph. Next day vehicle stalled out at 65 mph on interstate. Very dangerous situation. Repair facility could find no problem, had expensive major tuneup, but problem still exists.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 012013

Hello, I am a current Chrysler vehicle owner and I've been having issues where my 2006 Chrysler 300C srt8 which just shuts off without any warnings or trouble codes reported to the car's computer. There are times when I'm driving on a busy highway and the car will just stall out. Each time I take my car to the auto mechanics, they aren't able to identify anything wrong as there aren't any codes detected. My vehicle even stalled while at the mechanics shop and they still weren't able to assist as no codes were triggered. Over the past 2 years, I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours, stuck on major highs as well as replacing car components in a big effort of trying to resolve this concern. To date, I am still experiencing these anxieties. I've been out on relative web sites looking this problem up and it appears this has been happening to thousands of Chrysler srt/srt8 owners and they are dealing with same concerns that I am. I'm including a url link to one of the blog of 10+ pages of complaints from owners who are lost, confused and don't know what to do. one of the major reasons why I am asking for some assistance is both awareness to the general public, as there could be serious accidents as a result. Another reason is a proactive effort at hoping to get assistance to get feedback from Chrysler to help resolve these concerns.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Apr 242015

300C 6-cyl

Stalled on several occasions after filling the tank up. Also while going at lower speeds. Hesitation and lost of power afterwards. Since my last fill up, the car won't start now. I read that hundreds of other people are having the same problem due to a float swells up into a stuck open position, allowing an overfill condition.

- Oxnard , CA, USA

Apr 172013

300C 8-cyl

The car chime will chime, the engine acts like it wants to stall, losing power for about 3 seconds, then it's fine. I received a sort of recall from Chrysler about the problem, I called the dealership in raynham, MA., the first week of Feb., 2015. I was told it would take about 2 weeks for the part. It has now been 9 weeks, and I'm told they are still waiting for 5 orders on this problem. I have had the car stall out, while driving in 35 mph traffic, very dangerous! it doesn't appear to me that Chrysler is taking the letter I received stating they came to agreement with NHTSA to seriously!!!

- Taunton, MA, USA

Mar 172015

300C 8-cyl

After topping off the gas tank the vehicle was driven two blocks where it was then pulled onto a busy access road in town. The vehicle was slowing down to a red light when the engine stalled for a moment, the oil pressure light came on, then immediately cut out and would not restart. After putting on hazard lights and attempting to call for a tow attempts were made to restart the car and after about 20 minutes of waiting the engine turned over and it was possible to pull the car off the road to a mechanic a block up. The car was scanned and no engine codes were found and oil pressure was found to be fine. The car was given a valve flush and started up fine after that. The incident repeated itself on 3/29/15 once more after filling up the tank, after going to blocks the car once more stalled and shut down. At this point I am very concerned for my safety with this vehicle if this is what is going to happen every time the car needs gas and this should be address with a recall after seeing so many complaints.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 012014

Very soon after purchasing the 2006 Chrysler 300C (used), it began shutting off while driving. Obviously this is incredibly dangerous. After "googling" is seems people all over with this vehicle have had similar problems, an some were attributing this to filing up the gas tank. We took due caution not to fill up the tank (how ridiculous is this?) and the problem has continued. An extended warranty was purchased from the Ford dealership we purchased at. After the run around about who actually "fixes" the car, it was taken to a Chrysler dealership who charged us $400 for a battery and then replaced some wiring harness which did nothing. We are back at it with the dealership. I see an article in the la times on the internet saying to take the vehicle back to the dealership. That's not helping. We haven't put 2,000 miles on this vehicle in almost a year now. It is unsafe to drive and has no value. Help. NHTSA obviously knows about this.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jan 032015

300C 8-cyl

I'm having the same problem with the car stalling when I fill up the gas tank all the way. It has happened numerous times and is very dangerous. I pulled out in traffic and it stalled, blocking traffic. It took several times to start again. Very dangerous. I could die. I took it to my local dealership in scottsbluff, ne and they don't see an extended lifetime warranty on the gas tank, like there is supposed to be, like it mentions on the NHTSA website.

- Gering, NE, USA

Dec 122014

300C 8-cyl

After fueling my car to full tank capacity (93 octane as always) I pulled out of the gas station and slowed down to stop at a red light (traveling at less than 10 mph). The engine stalled as I came to a full stop. I placed the transmission in park and re-started the engine. Engine started fine and I drove for about 5 miles with no further issue. Note: Check engine light did not come on and all other dash indications were normal. After parking the vehicle I inspected the gas cap and verified that it was secured tight and not loose. Also checked under the fuel tank and engine compartment for anything out of the ordinary. Did not see or smell anything obvious.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 072014

300C 8-cyl

2006 Chrysler 300C - after fueling up got about 1/2mile down the road engine just cut out (not electrical as I didn't loose dash lights) just like the engine stopped for a few seconds and came back on. Thought it was a fluke and kept going and it happened again twice, turned around and took the car home happened a couple more times while trying to get home. Haven't driven the car since and that was 5 days ago.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Oct 012014

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle started randomly shutting off primarily at stops and gradually became more frequent to shutting off while driving and shifting backwards.

- Kingston, OH, USA

Nov 012011

300C 4WD 8-cyl

After refueling engine stalled. Hard restart in busy traffic. Problem continues today.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 162014

300C 8-cyl

The engine shut off completely while driving. This caused a total loss in power steering, head lights, and anti-lock brakes. Fortunately I was on a well lit road with a long straightaway and able to muscle the car to a safe stop. Had I been a few miles farther down the road I would have been on a winding road with no street lights. It would have certainly caused a major accident. I took the car into a mechanic and they found nothing wrong with it.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Oct 122014

When coming to a complete stop or sometimes at low speed, the vehicle will stall. This incident occurred four times in one day.

- Placida, FL, USA

Aug 172014

300C 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C that recently broke down. When I took it to the dealership for repairs they said that valve seat deteriorated and dropped on the piston. They said it had a grenade effect and sent metal everywhere, which jammed metal inside piston. I was told that I need a new engine which would cost me $3,500 for a used engine and $5,000 for a new engine with $2,200 labor costs. I did some research and have found that there are numerous people that have experienced the same issue. These are some resources I found: I also joined a group on facebook and personally talked to many people who this has happened to. I called Chrysler to notify them of the issue and was told that there was nothing that they could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said they stand behind the original decision. I have contacted the BBB, the local news station, and the consumer protection division of the attorney general's office in Michigan (the state where Chrysler's headquarters are located).

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Sep 212011

300C 8-cyl

The car stalls at random after a fuel fill up. Eventually it will run normally, however it happens multiple times first and puts me in a dangerous position when it stalls in traffic. I have had both fuel pumps replaced last year and it seemed to help for a while, now the problem is back.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA