2.1

2006 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Nov 192012

300C 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank, I encountered numerous stalls while driving. Thankfully, it was city driving early in the morning. Since then, I have encountered numerous situations where the car has stalled after filling up. I initially thought it was bad gas (I.e. water in my gas tank), however, I have since varied the fueling stations and brands I use and have seen no effect. It always seems to happen after I fill up, and it seems to go away after the tank has emptied a bit. The latest encounter was yesterday (I filled up two days prior) while I had my family in the car - multiple stalls in mid-day city traffic. And again this morning. The gas tank is still quite full (it shows over "F" on the gauge). I _never_ top off when I fill - I simply wait until the filler turns itself off when filling. I have never seen this problem prior to the first occurrence in mid November of 2012, which I initially (as indicated) wrote off as bad gas due to hurricane sandy (I figured the storm may have caused water in the tanks of gas stations). After hearing about numerous issues on this, I wanted to add my experiences to the growing list. The car in question is a 2006 Chrysler 300C srt-8.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 282012

300C 8-cyl

As reported with other complaints, car will stall after refueling. Yesterday it stalled three times while removing my foot from the accelerator and applying the brake. It also stalled while turning through an intersection which prompted me to dig into this further since previous attempts to correct the problem have not worked!. visited Chrysler dealership today and since the check engine light was not on nor could they find anything specific to the issue there was nothing they could do. The only question I was asked was that if I topped the fuel after the pump automatically shuts off. I responded that I did not and if I did what difference would that make. Problem has been on going for about 8 months, and in those months the dealership re-flashed the engine control module, I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced all the fluids, and replaced the PCV valve. Problem still persists and would like to seek some type of resolution!

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 152013

300C 8-cyl

On 4 occasions since December 2012 (I purchased it 6/2012), my car has stalled after fill up, on one of the three occasions the car would not restart for several minutes. All four times that the car stalled, it was while I was in traffic and turning. The first time I was turning on to a major highway in daytona beach, and the car would not restart. I do not overfill my tank, I only fill it until the pump shuts itself off. I have had my engine codes checked and there is not indication of any reason for the stall. I have two codes, one for an ambient air temperature sensor, and one for an oil pressure sensor. Neither of those should have cause a random stall with no warning. My car is well maintained, and babied.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 052011

300C 8-cyl

Most of the time, the engine will stall at a stop with all gauges dropping to zero. This also happens when the car is moving down the roadway. Engine does not start smoothly. Most times it takes at least two attempts to start it. Sometimes upon restart the gauges remain at zero. Upon start, engine will run for a brief time and will run maybe 1 block or so before stalling again. It will run without incident until the next episode. There may be a spread of 3 to 4 weeks between incidents. Sometimes the engine speed jumps up without accelerator input making the car leap forward. This has happened once to me. Sometimes when the engine is restarted and put into gear, the transmission does not engage immediately, but after a very brief delay causing a "jump" into gear when it does engage. The esp bas light comes on a majority of the time this happens. Sometimes the gauges all drop to zero while the car is running. Almost always, I can feel in the running of the engine that something is not quite (almost imperceptive missing) right before this happens. I took the car to a Chrysler dealership immediately after this happened and asked them to read the codes. They told me many codes had been recorded.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 012012

300C

Vehicles stalling while driving, mostly while decelerating. Seems to occur more frequently with a full fuel tank and while pulling a trailer, but has also occurred with a half a tank. No problem restarting after stall. Started occurring more frequently in June of 2013. Has happened at least 6 times in the past 18 months.

- Hopkins, MI, USA

Mar 012013

300C 8-cyl

When I refuel the car at any gas station, it usually stalls a few minutes later when I am driving. At first, I thought it was the gas quality, but I have tried premium fuel from all major brands, and each time I fill up the car, their is a 90% chance that it will stall two or three times in the middle of the road. The rpms just drop and the car stalls. I have not had an accident, yet, but this is a major problem which can cause an accident..

- Poway, CA, USA

Aug 082011

300C

Our 2006 Chrysler 300 srt8 dies after fueling the gas tank to full. It has died in intersections were we have almost been hit and in turns car dies, locks up and there is no power anything. We have taken it to the dealership 4 times and continuously pay money to turn run diagnostic, only to hear " we cannot duplicate the problem" I have spent $400 to be told there is nothing wrong.car becomes very hard to restart. Once I get the vehicle started, again the stalling starts, this will happen several times before the car remains on. As I drive home, I could feel the car "sputtering" or hesitating like it wanted to shut down again. When starting car in the morning it feels like it wants to die. Please help this car is my family's main transportation and I fear that one day this issue will cause a crash. I have a 3 year old and a baby on the way. Help!!! Chrysler does not care about lives, only the bottom line.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 222013

300C 8-cyl

Every time after refueling the vehicle to a full tank of fuel vehicle stalls and sometimes several tries before it restarts. Once the fuel tank level goes down about a gallon, the problem stops. This always occurs after refueling to a full tank of fuel. If I fill to about 3/4 tank the car can stall but not always. The only known fix to work all the time is a new gas tank for $1500 to install.

- Lomita, CA, USA

Mar 072013

300C 8-cyl

Pulled out of gas station after refueling into heavy rush hour traffic, car stalled while turning making it very difficult to steer (if my wife had been driving she would not have been able to steer). Managed to put car in neutral and coast into medium. Put car in park and restarted car, pulled out into traffic and car stalled again. This time I put car in neutral and restarted while coasting. No more problems on this trip. Had the same problem 3 weeks later, pulled up to stop sign after refueling and car stalled. I put car in park and restarted, drove approximately 3/4 mile and entered stop and go traffic on freeway. Car stalled 5-6 times within 1 mile, each time I put car in neutral and restarted. Several times I was able to prevent a stall by watching the tach for signs of RPM dropping then putting car in neutral and pushing the gas pedal.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 302013

300C 8-cyl

I had just refueled (filled up - did not continue fueling after the pump auto-stopped) and continued driving to my destination (about 3-5 minutes). I had just completed a left turn, approaching a red light, so I was "coasting" at about 15 mph when the engine died. Luckily, I was beside of a vacant parking lot and was able to veer into the lot and off the highway. However, in doing so, I noticed that I had lost steering capabilities and it was very difficult to steer the car off the highway. It was a good thing I wasn't driving at a higher speed and going around a curve, because I would've surely wrecked. The instrument panel was still lit up (compass, odometer, radio station, etc), but the engine light came on. After stopping, I placed it in park, turned off the switch and restarted the car. There was some hesitation, but it did start. Continuing to my destination, I could occasionally feel the car "sputtering" or hesitating like it wanted to shut down again, but it did not happen again before I made it home. However, on my way to work this morning and before I left my driveway, the car acted like it wanted to die again. I had backed out of my garage and put it in drive, slightly pressed the accelerator and it "sputtered". it continued "sputtering" periodically on my way to work (6-8 minute drive). I am really becoming very nervous about driving our country roads, in fear that it will shut down and I will lose the ability to maneuver the car to safety until I can regain power.

- Stony Point, NC, USA

Dec 062012

300C 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank to full, stopping after the pump clicks off the first time, the vehicle stalled after running for around 5 minutes. Restarted vehicle and same thing happened two more times. Vehicle continues to do this regularly.

- Trenton, FL, USA

Oct 192012

300C 8-cyl

After filling up with fuel while stopped at a traffic light the engine stalled. After restarting and proceeding the engine stalled again while traveling at 15-20 mph. This has happened several times since always after refueling.

- Reno, NV, USA

May 162012

300C 8-cyl

After refueling tank I drove away from the pumps and onto the roadway, during acceleration to speed limit (50mph), at 25mph the engine stalled, with traffic quickly approaching I might add, and left me coasting. I was able to pull off to the side of the road thankfully, at which time I had to attempt a restart 3 times before it did start, when it started I had no issues for a few months. This exact situation happened to me every other month for a year until I learned to not fuel the vehicle to the top. It is a considerable inconvenience to not be able to fill the car to its capacity, especially on long trips. I am just afraid that this will happen, at any time, with no warning, quite an uncomfortable feeling actually. I hope for a satisfactory resolution to this issue. Thank you.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 122012

300C 8-cyl

I too have had several instances when my car stalled on a busy road after approx. 5 minutes of fueling up. Very dangerous. This happened approx. 6 times usually in very cold weather.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Dec 042012

300C 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank full I drove the car 1-2 miles and stopped at a traffic light and when I went to accelerate to go forward the engine completely died. I coasted to a stop just past the intersection and was able to re-start it. The same thing happened about a mile further down the road only this time I was not stopped, but driving and accelerating and it died and I was forced to coast to a stop and restart the engine. The problem continued for several days and then stopped. It happened again the next time I filled the gas tank up with very similar issues, and again stopped after the gas tank had used several gallons of fuel. I took it to the dealer and was informed that they would have to replace the gas tank (at a cost of $1600). The technician then told me that if I kept the gas tank at 75% full and not completely fill it I would have no problems. He was right, since these events in December of 2012 I have only filled it to 75% full and have had no problems. I am reporting this because I read in the dallas morning news on 05/16/2013 that this model of Chrysler is being investigated for the problem I have told you of. The description/symptoms listed in the news release seemed to match mine and I am therefore reporting it.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 012013

300C

I filled up the gas tank at the station pulled into traffic and the light turned red. Stopped for the light the car started lurching and the engine shut down. Turned on hazard light pushed gas to floor and cranked engine over. Took several tries to get engine to start. After this incident the car runs rough when stopping at red lights.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

May 102013

300C 8-cyl

Going for a 1000 mile trip from saint cloud fl. To pittsburgh pa. I filled up my gas tank. When I pulled out of the station the engine stalled. It stalled twice again a mile away while I was traveling about 25 mph. On my trip to pittsburgh the car stalled about 5 separate times all after getting the gas tank filled. Most stalls occurred when stopped but at least twice happened while driving. Called Chrysler and got no where. Their suggestion was to take car to a dealer at my own expense. This car has been maintained to a very high standard. Never a scratch, or dents. Always kept covered in garage. It is in immaculate condition. I am shocked about this stalling and Chrysler's reply to my asking for their assistance.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 122011

300C 8-cyl

After filling my gasoline tank and driving away the engine quit running while driving down the city street or highway. While still rolling forward I put the car in neutral and attempted to restart the engine. I always succeeded in restarting the car while it was rolling forward. However, the stalling would repeat itself two to three more times before the car stopped doing this. I reported this to my dealership who said they knew nothing about this problem and had no solutions. After months of repeated experiencing this problem I started to fill my tank only to about 3/4th full and the stalling was solved. However, after hitting some rough road after a 3/4th filling (the gasoline got sloshed about, I am sure),the engine stalled on me. On June 12, 2012 I asked the dealership, overland park Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, in overland park, ks to start replacing gasoline tank parts. They installed a 4891427ab detector-natural vacuum detecti....., a solenoid-proportional purge and a canister-vapor. (their invoice #429537). This did not solve the stalling problem. On March 26, 2013 I finally gave up on the problem and asked opjcd to replace the saddle-bag gasoline tanks. Their invoice 452851 covered the installation of a 68051891 aa tank-fuel, O-ring-fuel pump and level unit. With three complete gasoline tank fill up's I have had no problems with stalling. I am writing to you after reading, in this mornings newspaper, about similar problems being looked into by your Agency and I wanted to report what happened to me and what I did about it. Opjcd service man told me they would reimburse me for my expenses if a recall was made on my car. I paid a total of $1,453.90 to get my 2006 Chrysler 300C, I hope, fixed. Thank you.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

May 012013

300C 8-cyl

I had just refueled at the quick trip left the station and within one mile experienced the vehicle's engine cutting off and on. The tachometer would show that the engine was going from 2000 RPM's to 1000 this happened maybe 5 times in a one minute span and then quit.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 012012

300C 8-cyl

Many multiple incidents - after filling fuel tank, engine will stall multiple times shortly afterwards and is difficult to re-start. This happens even if care is taken to avoid "topping off" tank. At times the engine has even stalled during fueling once tank is near full, before pump clicks off. Must drive with gas cap removed for it to start and run at all for many miles before it behaves normally again, and even with gas cap removed it still will come near stalling at times.

- Cypress, TX, USA