2.1

2006 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Mar 012013

300C

Im hoping this post will get us some help and answers about the problems we are having with our 2006 Chrysler 300C. We bought the car in November of 2011. It had less than 33,000 miles and was in great condition. We absolutely loved this car for about the first year, but then the trouble started and it is now an ongoing nightmare. It started stalling and dying constantly, usually when we were going slow or stop and go, but a few times when driving 35-45 mph. We had purchased a 2 year/20,000 added warranty when we bought the car (expires in Nov 2013 which has me worried) so all of the servicing and repairs have been done at our local dealer. So far, they have done throttle body clean, cleaned A/F box and replaced filter, coolant flush, steering system flush, fuel kit, changed out fuel tank, vapor canister, leak detection pump filter, new factory battery, complete tune up, oil changes, and more. Not all of this was covered by the warranty, so we have spent thousands of our own money on repairs and rental car all the times it has been in the shop since it is our only car. On October 16, we had to have the car towed back to the dealer because it was dying again and wouldn't stay cranked once put in gear and start moving. As of this morning, still no word from them on what they think it is this time, and yet another rental bill while we wait. In the two years we have had this car, we have only put about 10,000 miles on it, it has less than 43,000 miles. This car has way too few miles and has been too well taken care of for it to be having this many problems. All the things they have done and its still doing the same thing! this is a big safety issue because when it dies, you have very little to none of the steering and brakes. Luckily, we have not had it die in major traffic yet, but I am afraid to drive it now for fear that we are going to be in a wreck because of it.

- Orange, TX, USA

Jan 212013

300C 8-cyl

When I filled the fuel tank the car would stall leaving the service station. Then it started when I was driving slow over rough pavement or speed bumps. At these times I did not realize the car had stalled until I saw the oil light on. The dealership could find nothing wrong with the car but suggested that the oil pressure switch be changed. The problem stilled persisted so I had the car tuned up. Problem still continued and so I stopped buying a particular brand of gas because while leaving the station which is on the incline the car stalled and a bunch of lights came on and one indicated a problem with the gas. I have had the fuel injectors cleaned and stopped topping of the tank but the problem has not gone away. I have to drive two major highways for doctor appointments and cannot afford to have this car stall like this in major traffic. The car will be going along smoothly and then it starts lurching like I am trying to accelerate and brake at the same time. This presents a dangerous situation. The car goes in tomorrow to be checked again.I had driven 25 miles since the last fill and the car acted so erratic that I an afraid to drive it because you can't control where it is going when it stalls (no brakes or power steering.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Sep 252013

300C 8-cyl

I was on the way to a doctors appt with my pregnant daughter on 264 heading towards chesapeake, va. I was doing 55 mph and the tank was on 1/8 th of a tank. As we were driving, about 15 min later, the car lurched, a ding was heard, the etc light flashed, the rpms dropped to 0, then resumed a second later causing the lurching forward. About 3 to 4 minutes and intermittently over the next 15 min later, it did the same thing, but also stalled at the stop lights on the way there. No codes came up when diagnostics were put on it. The throttle control unit was replaced and a relearn was done, this did nothing. Same thing happened. I have read many other reports of this happening and no one has an exact fix for this. Also, may have nothing to do with this, but about 2 weeks prior to this happening, I was filling up with gas and the tank overflowed. No problems occurred through the next 3 or 4 fill ups, the tank was on an 1/8 when the first hesitation and stalling occurred.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 152013

300C 8-cyl

My husband filled the car with gas and drove it approx. 2 miles to our home. An hour later when I took the car out to go shopping, it hesitated/jerked forward twice as I was making 2 left turns leaving the subdivision. Then the engine stalled and would not restart. After calling my husband, he was able to get the car started. He immediately took the car to the dealership and because there were no warning lights, they said they had no way to diagnose the problem. I felt extremely lucky that I was not on a busy street or in traffic when the car stalled. My husband let me know this morning, that the car has stalled several times after he pulls out of the gas station onto the street, when getting fuel. Now it is nearly every time he fills the tank with gas and he feels it is getting worse. This is a very dangerous situation! many people are complaining about this same issue online. A recall needs to be issued to repair the problem before people are killed when the car stalls in traffic!

- Dardenne Prairie, MO, USA

Oct 092013

300C

If vehicle is filled up with gas until full car will stall shortly after fill-up.

- Montevallo, AL, USA

Aug 292013

300C 8-cyl

On 8/29, I picked my car up from the dealership for a repair to the body. When I attempted to start the vehicle, it turned over but would not start. After several attempts, I went back inside and made the service manager aware. He came out and after a few tries, it started. They told me they didn't know what was wrong with it but that it seemed to be fine so I could take it. I started the vehicle with no issue and took it to a nearby gas station to fill it up. After filling it up, it would not start. The vehicle was towed back to the dealership. It was at the dealership from 8/29 to 9/26. During that time, the battery was changed, the evap canister was replaced and the gas tank was replaced. When I went to pick the vehicle up on 9/26, it would not start. After several attempts and pumping the gas while turning the ignition, the vehicle started. I am now only able to start the vehicle if the gas pedal an pumped while the key is being turned. The vehicle has also attempted to stall several times since I got it back and doesn't have the power it had when I bought it. I have also smelled gas while driving immediately after accelerating. My check engine light is now on also. The dealer has requested that I bring the vehicle back to them and I fear that it will be there another 4 weeks and return to me in the same or even worse condition!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 062011

300C 8-cyl

After filling tank with gas the car stalls a few times once you start driving away. It can also happen if you park your car after filling with a full tank. It seems you must gun the engine to prevent the stalling. It happens intermittently. It just happened 2 fill ups in a row and sometimes it could be months before it happens again. At first I thought it was bad gas but this happens to frequently. What is causing this problem? my car has been maintained extremely well. I went to my dealer and they had no recall or knew nothing about the problem.

- West Kingston, RI, USA

Sep 012013

300C

After returning home from work, I noticed a knocking/grinding sound coming from my engine. I have taken the car to a Chrysler dealer and they told me that there is internal engine damage, most likely the lifter push rod part of the engine. I was informed by Chrysler customer service that there were some vehicles of this class that had been covered under a recall for the lifter problem, but that the recall was VIN specific. When I asked how the determination was made as to which vehicles were covered and how the coverage was extended, I could not get a answer. It is not right that a vehicle of the same class as mine is subject to a recall and my vehicle was not. Neither do I understand why I could not be told by Chrysler if they had attempted to contact the owner of the vehicle at the time the recall took place. That in order that when the vehicle was sold, that pertinent information could be transmitted during the sale. Absent this information, whom do I as a buyer, unknowning place responsibility?

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012011

300C 8-cyl

After filling up at a gas station, my car stalled as I was getting into traffic. This is ridiculously dangerous. It stalled again a couple more times and then it was fine after about 15 minutes. This happened again and again after refueling. Some people are saying its the evap canister. Apparently there's a valve that gets stuck open and let's liquid fuel flood the engine. It's supposed to only allow fuel vapors to get to the engine.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Sep 122013

300C

Purchased car used and within 24 hours had car stall on me totaling about 6 times now within 2 weeks. It has stalled everywhere from highway speeds to idling and while in reverse. Car starts back up without problem if put in neutral or park. Have had fuel injectors cleaned, new spark plugs ( manufacturer suggested copper) and all new ignition coils. Dealership said the stalling was caused by old spark plugs and worn ignition coils but continues to stall after all of these were replaced. It doesn't seem to matter what speed I am going, but seems to stall more when I reach around a quarter tank of gas. The car has stalled on me several times in traffic and while entering and exiting highway. I do not feel it is safe to drive especially with kids and family in the car, there is no warning of stall and is very unpredictable.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 212013

300C

Car stalls after filling up gas tank has happened a dozen times or more. I have almost been hit on two occassions if the other driver hadn't ran into a ditch we both could have been killed this time. I know it's going to stall after I fill it up. I now get gas close to a large department store with access to there parking lot where I can drive till it finishes it's 3 to 4 times of stalling on fill up. Someone is going to get killed over this issue.

- Ocoee , FL, USA

Sep 142013

300C 8-cyl

After refueling, my car suddenly stalled as my children and I were leaving the gas station. I was able to restart the car and continue driving. As I was driving, the car started losing acceleration and would "jump" around. The check engine light and eps light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off, and manually turned the eps light off. The car started, the eps light went off, but on occasion on it would lose power. The check engine light has been on ever since. I took the car to the dealership the next day and I have been told that the crankshaft sensor needs replacing but can't guarantee that is what's wrong with the car since he keeps getting different codes each time he does diagnostic.

- Saint Petersburg , FL, USA

Sep 162013

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled twice after filling up the gas tank, once exiting the gas station waiting for the light to turn green and another 3 minutes later at another light on the feeder road of the highway. I have never had any other issues as car is well maintained: Oil changes with synthetic, air filter, transmission service, spark plugs, ect. I also only use 89 octane fuel as recommended in the owners manual.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 082006

300C 8-cyl

(11-9-2006) car stalled 4 times in a row. The stalling has continued up to yesterday (9-15-2013). The car would stall at a stop or at freeway speeds and at random times from a few days up to 3 or 4 months. The dealer never had a solution. I have replaced many electrical components recommended by the dealer including the PCM. Before I changed the PCM, I would have to shift into neutral and turn the switch to restart the car. After I replaced the PCM the car will still stall, but then will "kick start" itself if I am going over 25 mph. Sometimes the car will stall 2 or 3 times and then run great for a month or 2. it is always random. I have looked into renting a blackbox to install in my car to capture what the problem is, however the dealer says that a recorder for my car doesn't exist. I still drive this car with caution, my wife no longer drives this car which was hers..

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 062013

300C 8-cyl

After filling up with gas, the engine has stalled without any warning, at very low speed limit, this occurred three times, after a few gallons of gas were used the problem went away. This particular incident has happened on three separate times before. I am concerned I could be involved in rear end accident if the engine stalls in traffic.

- Corona, CA, USA

Aug 192013

300C

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 032013

300C 8-cyl

While driving on a main road in my city the engine stalled 3 times in a 5 mile range finally shutting off again in a parking spot at my local gym this is very concerning, because this puts me at risk of being rear ended. This is a safety issue, I was lucky this time but might not be the next.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Sep 182012

300C 8-cyl

Car stalls immediately after filling up. I switched filling stations, brands and octanes. Continued to have problem. After a few gallons were used, the stalling went away each time. Problem now continues while stopped at traffic lights, traveling at low speeds, or no pressure on the throttle. While moving it will stall, the engine light will come on and "ding", then when I pump the throttle it will catch itself and the car will jerk hard and accelerate again. At traffic lights once it stalls, it will require using the key to restart. I took the car to the dealer twice for the problem, the last time in Aug 2013, the check engine light had stayed on. They reset the codes and could not duplicate the problem.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 222013

300C

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while driving at low speeds. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the dealer was unable to locate a failure code. The dealer reprogrammed the main computer system but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 66,000.

- South Port, CT, USA

Jul 222013

300C 8-cyl

My 2006 Chrysler 300C (hemi 5.7) will stall at low speeds or when stopped at a traffic light. The car does restart. At higher speeds (e.g, , 60mph), the vehicle will exhibit a sudden loss of power (drop in rpms, followed by a chime sound) as if the engine is about to stall, before reaccelerating again. The stalling/loss of power issue does not occur all the time. Sometimes, the car will operate as long as a day or two without incident. The dealer performed a complete system diagnostic - retrieved code PO700 - related to loss of communication with PCM to multiple modules. (they may have been old stored codes.) then, they cleared the codes, road tested the car, but could not replicate the problem. The dealer returned the car and asked me to monitor it. They indicated that if the issue re-occurs, the vehicle will possibly need a PCM or ignition switch. My impression is that they are guessing at what the issue may be. The day after the car was returned to me, the same sudden stalling/loss of power issues recurred although the engine diagnostic light has not come on. I will be returning the car to the dealer, even though they have not been able to pinpoint the problem to date. I am very concerned about the sudden stalling and loss of power. This is a very serious safety issue that can result in an accident. I am married with a 9 month old baby.

- Lynn, MA, USA