2006 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Jul 152013

300C 8-cyl

My husband filled the car with gas and drove it approx. 2 miles to our home. An hour later when I took the car out to go shopping, it hesitated/jerked forward twice as I was making 2 left turns leaving the subdivision. Then the engine stalled and would not restart. After calling my husband, he was able to get the car started. He immediately took the car to the dealership and because there were no warning lights, they said they had no way to diagnose the problem. I felt extremely lucky that I was not on a busy street or in traffic when the car stalled. My husband let me know this morning, that the car has stalled several times after he pulls out of the gas station onto the street, when getting fuel. Now it is nearly every time he fills the tank with gas and he feels it is getting worse. This is a very dangerous situation! many people are complaining about this same issue online. A recall needs to be issued to repair the problem before people are killed when the car stalls in traffic!

- Dardenne Prairie, MO, USA

Oct 092013

If vehicle is filled up with gas until full car will stall shortly after fill-up.

- Montevallo, AL, USA

Aug 292013

300C 8-cyl

On 8/29, I picked my car up from the dealership for a repair to the body. When I attempted to start the vehicle, it turned over but would not start. After several attempts, I went back inside and made the service manager aware. He came out and after a few tries, it started. They told me they didn't know what was wrong with it but that it seemed to be fine so I could take it. I started the vehicle with no issue and took it to a nearby gas station to fill it up. After filling it up, it would not start. The vehicle was towed back to the dealership. It was at the dealership from 8/29 to 9/26. During that time, the battery was changed, the evap canister was replaced and the gas tank was replaced. When I went to pick the vehicle up on 9/26, it would not start. After several attempts and pumping the gas while turning the ignition, the vehicle started. I am now only able to start the vehicle if the gas pedal an pumped while the key is being turned. The vehicle has also attempted to stall several times since I got it back and doesn't have the power it had when I bought it. I have also smelled gas while driving immediately after accelerating. My check engine light is now on also. The dealer has requested that I bring the vehicle back to them and I fear that it will be there another 4 weeks and return to me in the same or even worse condition!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 062011

300C 8-cyl

After filling tank with gas the car stalls a few times once you start driving away. It can also happen if you park your car after filling with a full tank. It seems you must gun the engine to prevent the stalling. It happens intermittently. It just happened 2 fill ups in a row and sometimes it could be months before it happens again. At first I thought it was bad gas but this happens to frequently. What is causing this problem? my car has been maintained extremely well. I went to my dealer and they had no recall or knew nothing about the problem.

- West Kingston, RI, USA

Sep 012013

After returning home from work, I noticed a knocking/grinding sound coming from my engine. I have taken the car to a Chrysler dealer and they told me that there is internal engine damage, most likely the lifter push rod part of the engine. I was informed by Chrysler customer service that there were some vehicles of this class that had been covered under a recall for the lifter problem, but that the recall was VIN specific. When I asked how the determination was made as to which vehicles were covered and how the coverage was extended, I could not get a answer. It is not right that a vehicle of the same class as mine is subject to a recall and my vehicle was not. Neither do I understand why I could not be told by Chrysler if they had attempted to contact the owner of the vehicle at the time the recall took place. That in order that when the vehicle was sold, that pertinent information could be transmitted during the sale. Absent this information, whom do I as a buyer, unknowning place responsibility?

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012011

300C 8-cyl

After filling up at a gas station, my car stalled as I was getting into traffic. This is ridiculously dangerous. It stalled again a couple more times and then it was fine after about 15 minutes. This happened again and again after refueling. Some people are saying its the evap canister. Apparently there's a valve that gets stuck open and let's liquid fuel flood the engine. It's supposed to only allow fuel vapors to get to the engine.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Sep 122013

Purchased car used and within 24 hours had car stall on me totaling about 6 times now within 2 weeks. It has stalled everywhere from highway speeds to idling and while in reverse. Car starts back up without problem if put in neutral or park. Have had fuel injectors cleaned, new spark plugs ( manufacturer suggested copper) and all new ignition coils. Dealership said the stalling was caused by old spark plugs and worn ignition coils but continues to stall after all of these were replaced. It doesn't seem to matter what speed I am going, but seems to stall more when I reach around a quarter tank of gas. The car has stalled on me several times in traffic and while entering and exiting highway. I do not feel it is safe to drive especially with kids and family in the car, there is no warning of stall and is very unpredictable.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 212013

Car stalls after filling up gas tank has happened a dozen times or more. I have almost been hit on two occassions if the other driver hadn't ran into a ditch we both could have been killed this time. I know it's going to stall after I fill it up. I now get gas close to a large department store with access to there parking lot where I can drive till it finishes it's 3 to 4 times of stalling on fill up. Someone is going to get killed over this issue.

- Ocoee , FL, USA

Sep 142013

300C 8-cyl

After refueling, my car suddenly stalled as my children and I were leaving the gas station. I was able to restart the car and continue driving. As I was driving, the car started losing acceleration and would "jump" around. The check engine light and eps light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off, and manually turned the eps light off. The car started, the eps light went off, but on occasion on it would lose power. The check engine light has been on ever since. I took the car to the dealership the next day and I have been told that the crankshaft sensor needs replacing but can't guarantee that is what's wrong with the car since he keeps getting different codes each time he does diagnostic.

- Saint Petersburg , FL, USA

Sep 162013

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled twice after filling up the gas tank, once exiting the gas station waiting for the light to turn green and another 3 minutes later at another light on the feeder road of the highway. I have never had any other issues as car is well maintained: Oil changes with synthetic, air filter, transmission service, spark plugs, ect. I also only use 89 octane fuel as recommended in the owners manual.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 082006

300C 8-cyl

(11-9-2006) car stalled 4 times in a row. The stalling has continued up to yesterday (9-15-2013). The car would stall at a stop or at freeway speeds and at random times from a few days up to 3 or 4 months. The dealer never had a solution. I have replaced many electrical components recommended by the dealer including the PCM. Before I changed the PCM, I would have to shift into neutral and turn the switch to restart the car. After I replaced the PCM the car will still stall, but then will "kick start" itself if I am going over 25 mph. Sometimes the car will stall 2 or 3 times and then run great for a month or 2. it is always random. I have looked into renting a blackbox to install in my car to capture what the problem is, however the dealer says that a recorder for my car doesn't exist. I still drive this car with caution, my wife no longer drives this car which was hers..

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 062013

300C 8-cyl

After filling up with gas, the engine has stalled without any warning, at very low speed limit, this occurred three times, after a few gallons of gas were used the problem went away. This particular incident has happened on three separate times before. I am concerned I could be involved in rear end accident if the engine stalls in traffic.

- Corona, CA, USA

Aug 192013

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 032013

300C 8-cyl

While driving on a main road in my city the engine stalled 3 times in a 5 mile range finally shutting off again in a parking spot at my local gym this is very concerning, because this puts me at risk of being rear ended. This is a safety issue, I was lucky this time but might not be the next.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Sep 182012

300C 8-cyl

Car stalls immediately after filling up. I switched filling stations, brands and octanes. Continued to have problem. After a few gallons were used, the stalling went away each time. Problem now continues while stopped at traffic lights, traveling at low speeds, or no pressure on the throttle. While moving it will stall, the engine light will come on and "ding", then when I pump the throttle it will catch itself and the car will jerk hard and accelerate again. At traffic lights once it stalls, it will require using the key to restart. I took the car to the dealer twice for the problem, the last time in Aug 2013, the check engine light had stayed on. They reset the codes and could not duplicate the problem.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 222013

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while driving at low speeds. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the dealer was unable to locate a failure code. The dealer reprogrammed the main computer system but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 66,000.

- South Port, CT, USA

Jul 222013

300C 8-cyl

My 2006 Chrysler 300C (hemi 5.7) will stall at low speeds or when stopped at a traffic light. The car does restart. At higher speeds (e.g, , 60mph), the vehicle will exhibit a sudden loss of power (drop in rpms, followed by a chime sound) as if the engine is about to stall, before reaccelerating again. The stalling/loss of power issue does not occur all the time. Sometimes, the car will operate as long as a day or two without incident. The dealer performed a complete system diagnostic - retrieved code PO700 - related to loss of communication with PCM to multiple modules. (they may have been old stored codes.) then, they cleared the codes, road tested the car, but could not replicate the problem. The dealer returned the car and asked me to monitor it. They indicated that if the issue re-occurs, the vehicle will possibly need a PCM or ignition switch. My impression is that they are guessing at what the issue may be. The day after the car was returned to me, the same sudden stalling/loss of power issues recurred although the engine diagnostic light has not come on. I will be returning the car to the dealer, even though they have not been able to pinpoint the problem to date. I am very concerned about the sudden stalling and loss of power. This is a very serious safety issue that can result in an accident. I am married with a 9 month old baby.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Nov 192012

300C 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank, I encountered numerous stalls while driving. Thankfully, it was city driving early in the morning. Since then, I have encountered numerous situations where the car has stalled after filling up. I initially thought it was bad gas (I.e. water in my gas tank), however, I have since varied the fueling stations and brands I use and have seen no effect. It always seems to happen after I fill up, and it seems to go away after the tank has emptied a bit. The latest encounter was yesterday (I filled up two days prior) while I had my family in the car - multiple stalls in mid-day city traffic. And again this morning. The gas tank is still quite full (it shows over "F" on the gauge). I _never_ top off when I fill - I simply wait until the filler turns itself off when filling. I have never seen this problem prior to the first occurrence in mid November of 2012, which I initially (as indicated) wrote off as bad gas due to hurricane sandy (I figured the storm may have caused water in the tanks of gas stations). After hearing about numerous issues on this, I wanted to add my experiences to the growing list. The car in question is a 2006 Chrysler 300C srt-8.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 282012

300C 8-cyl

As reported with other complaints, car will stall after refueling. Yesterday it stalled three times while removing my foot from the accelerator and applying the brake. It also stalled while turning through an intersection which prompted me to dig into this further since previous attempts to correct the problem have not worked!. visited Chrysler dealership today and since the check engine light was not on nor could they find anything specific to the issue there was nothing they could do. The only question I was asked was that if I topped the fuel after the pump automatically shuts off. I responded that I did not and if I did what difference would that make. Problem has been on going for about 8 months, and in those months the dealership re-flashed the engine control module, I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced all the fluids, and replaced the PCV valve. Problem still persists and would like to seek some type of resolution!

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 152013

300C 8-cyl

On 4 occasions since December 2012 (I purchased it 6/2012), my car has stalled after fill up, on one of the three occasions the car would not restart for several minutes. All four times that the car stalled, it was while I was in traffic and turning. The first time I was turning on to a major highway in daytona beach, and the car would not restart. I do not overfill my tank, I only fill it until the pump shuts itself off. I have had my engine codes checked and there is not indication of any reason for the stall. I have two codes, one for an ambient air temperature sensor, and one for an oil pressure sensor. Neither of those should have cause a random stall with no warning. My car is well maintained, and babied.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA