8.4

2. will have to replace dashboard (2 reports)
  3. purchase a dash cover (1 reports)
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Dec 012011

PT Cruiser

needs to be recalled for defective merchandise or poor installation at assembly plant.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 012009

PT Cruiser Limited

I really like my PT cruiser but the dash is cracked and an unsightly mess!! You can go down the road and hear really loud popping noises as the dash continues to crack! The first time this happened, I almost ran off the road thinking I had just been the victim of a drive by shooting! It cracks more in the cold as well as the heat! Chrysler needs to fix these dashboards. Hopefully they are not using the same material for the newer cars!

- , Grandview, MO, USA

Jun 052012

PT Cruiser 2.4L Dohc

I just want everyone to know that the PT Cruiser may have a problem with the dashboard cracking.

- , Brownstown, MI, USA

Jan 012008

PT Cruiser 2.4L

Dealer said it was not covered undered warranty when clearly it was an issue of cheap plastic with the vent, which cracked first and once the vent was just a hole, then the dash cracked in 3 cracks.

- , Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jan 132010

PT Cruiser

Went through worst winter in recorded history for MD. Turned on defroster for front window and started clearing a couple feet of snow and ice from my car and cleared driveway. Loaded child up in car and headed to daycare/work. Heard a cracking noise and a piece of the vent from the dashboard came flying off and whizzing by my head. I caught it before it hit my child (would have been a direct hit in the face). I now have a hole in my dashboard where the vent used to be and a crack leading from the "vent". Cheap, cheap, CHEAP product! I'm sure if I dismantled the engine, I'd find a hamster, a wheel and some rubber bands making this thing run.

- , Millersville, MD, USA

Jun 092009

PT Cruiser Limited

Chrysler. Fix the damn dashboards! I think it was a problem from the beginning, but the consumers didn't know about it. I bought my PT brand new, had it special ordered. Silver with red-pin-stripes. I added fender skirts,sun visors on every window, sunroof and the car is sharp. No complaints except the dang dashboard. The blasted dashboard will cost me nearly $600.00 to have it fixed! So please Mr. Chrysler, I'm talking to the chief. Do something about this problem. I thought about trading it for a new version, but am afraid too. I wish I could send you a photo of the raggedy dashboard. Help! Help! Help!

- , Orangeburt, SC, USA

May 012008

PT Cruiser 4 cyl

Cracked dashboard - passenger side. (typical Chrysler) NOT covered by extended warranty, Dealer states that I MUST pay entire repair amount.

- , Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Apr 182008

PT Cruiser Limited

Noticed a small crack in the dash, then 3 days ago I watched the crack go all the way across the dash. I see a lot of complaints on the net about this, but I don't see where Chrysler is doing anything. Chrysler told me to take it to the dealer. DUH..........If a lot of cruisers are getting dash cracks...........why hasn't there been a recall?

To me the dashboard that Chrysler has designed and engineered into the PT Cruiser and that is failing, across the country, is not subject to normal wear like breaks, tires, or even a seat cushion. It is not subject to exterior trauma like stone strikes, shopping carts hits, etc. Essentially the top of the dashboard is not subject to driving stresses? That indicates a design or material flaw that is Chrysler's responsibility.

I will get my dash replaced, because I can't stand to see this crack, that is getting worse, but I would sure like Chrysler to step up to the plate!

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 092007

PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser

This seems to have appeared overnight! I now live in Florida but I bought the car in Michigan and lived there for the first year of ownership. I keep ArmorAll on it and use my windshield sun deflector every day. Has anyone else had this problem?

- , Holiday, FL, USA