8.3

2. must replace water pump, radiator, thermostat housing & ther (1 reports)
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Aug 212014

PT Cruiser Limited

I had drove 90 miles one way, but had stayed long enough for the engine to cool down...drove half way home when the temp light came on...pulled over, turned the car off, the overflow reservoir started bubbling and overflowed most of the fluid out...let the car cool down again...replaced the coolant...started home....pulled into my driveway. 30 min. later and the same thing happened...replaced the radiator cap...same thing the next day...any answers??....The PT CRUISER is my favorite car...this is my 2nd one to own and I have never had any of these problems before...not too happy at this point..

- , Gideon, MO, USA

Aug 012012

PT Cruiser 4 cyl

This vehicle was purchased as a first car for my son. This has got to be the WORST car I have ever owned in my life, it is a piece of JUNK. I will never buy another Chrysler product again, as we have contacted Chrysler for a suggested fix and a couple of shops have attempted fixes. I attribute it to design flaw or maybe just complacency on Chrylers part. After reading other reviews on line about not just this issue but the combination of issues for this vehicle and other Chrysler vehicles and their response to consumers, get me once my bad, get me twice, won't happen. Chrysler deserves to FAIL.

- , Guyton, GA, USA

Jul 282010

PT Cruiser 2.4L

this car is really starting to piss me off. if it aint one thing its another. if had the money would go buy something else. if your thinking of buying one don't not worth the headaches and the money by any means.

- , GA, GA, USA

Dec 262008

PT Cruiser Limited 4 cyl

Found that we were losing coolant. Had coolant refilled as we had it flushed 9 months or so ago. Now the water pump is leaking, radiator is leaking, thermostat and housing must be replaced, since they are replacing all this, they suggested a new timing belt (mileage) and they also noted that the engine mounts are cracked. Mechanic says this is the second vehicle he has seen like this only the first one had more damage. Explained that the damge is caused by the original coolant that is in the vehicle and it gradually deteriorates the system. Our cost roughly $3000 with the timing belt. Mechanic said we could probably get away without the radiator, but that eventually it would need to be replaced and the cost would be more than this time since they were doing all the other work.

- , Trrance, CA, USA

Apr 022008

PT Cruiser

I have been struggling with this issue of the PT Cruiser overheating in idle for several months. My dealer refused to deal with it, saying that it was somehow related to structural damage and that I would have to go to a body shop. The body shop said that was ridiculous, and have recommended me to another auto shop. The new auto shop is going to be looking at this, suggests it may be that the fan needs to be replaced as they have seen in other PT's and ranted about how difficult this will eb to diagnose and fix and estimated that the labor costs will be quite high.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA

May 262008

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L 3 cyl

PT cruiser has overheated multiple times. Original had the the electric fan replaced which solved the first issue.. Coolant Thermostat then failed (would not open all the way up).

It is now losing coolant.. The 'Overflow/recovery tank' fills up when hot but the fluid level does not go back down. Possibly due to a head gasket leak. Took it into the dealer and they did a flush and pronounced it was a head gasket leak. (quote of $1400.00). Took it to another place for a second opinion. they pulled the thermostat and showed me where it was not opening all the way up (pin was slightly bent?) replaced thermostat which makes the car run much cooler but They suspect their IS a head gasket problem as I am losing coolant also. Mechanics and online research has told me that overheating of these aluminum heads usually results in a head gasket leak (which is a major engine overhaul)

- , Leduc, AB, Canada