2. replace gauge (1 reports)
2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Nov 222011

PT Cruiser Limited

My 2003 PT Cruiser overheated on a trip. Was 60 miles from home. The car had to be towed. The shop replace the thermostat, but that still did not solve the problem. Evidently the head or block cracked and must be replace. Of course the warranty expired already. The shop is charging me $2,172.00 to replace the engine with one that has 50k miles or less. Will only get a 6 month guarantee. I have babied this car since I got it and was so proud of the low mileage. Now I'm not so proud.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 012011

PT Cruiser 4.1L

After 5 trips to the mechanic fixing one problem after another, our car after having the turbo rebuilt, overheats again. We find out that the temperature guauge, brand new suppossedly by the previous owner was a faulty temp gauge, it never worked. It almost cost us a new motor. We stopped the car after it started smoking profusely. Mechanic found the radiator almost empty. The overflow retainer had a hole it it, so water was bubbling in it after a days drive, I heard this and did not know what it was. But radiator was filled to brim and had coolant. Temp gauge was replaced. Small tiny crack found in radiator, blown gasket on motor. We won't have to pay for labour, but parts on this one, we have a good mechanic who is concerned about this as we are.

One other issue, car will surge forward on start up, first it won't go, then it will surge a bit and do this in spurts. we worry this might be a huge safety issue. But it does not do it so fast that the car is going at high speed, its just spurts. We are at our wits end with this car and just want it fixed so that we are done. We want a reliable car.

- , Orlando, FL, USA