1. re thread hold and replace spark plugs (1 reports)
2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Sep 102010

PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo

I was having problems where my car would feel like it would want to stall or it would shake pretty bad in the morning during cold starts and during acceleration.

After about a month of this, finally one day, I was near home and I heard this loud pop and my car sounded like a tractor. I was able to drive the car home thankfully.

Turns out my spark plug popped out of the head. Mind you that the car only has more than 70,000 miles on it. They don't need replaced for a while. We couldn't re thread the hole ourselves and get all the shavings out, so I took it to a shop and got it done there and he took a look at the other spark plugs and they were black as can be and needed changed bad. The charge for that work was about $150.

It's been working fine, but it recently acted up again while accelerating up a high grade on a mountain. I shifted the Automatic into 3rd gear and was doing fine, but am concerned that the problem will persist.

- , Hagerstown, MD, USA