1. replaced blocked catalytic converter (1 reports)
2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jul 032010

PT Cruiser 2.4L V4

My wives dream 2003 PT Cruiser at about 28,000 developed power losses and slight "buck" when stopped. Had vehicle checked, i.e. replaced fuel/air filters, diagnostic service in addition to schedule maintenance. Issue seemed resolved for about 3000 miles. I should mention we bought the thing new with 15 miles on it. And Yes, you read correct 9yr. old at that time with the stated miles, not rollover mileage. Developed MAJOR power loss on the highway (in Southern California that's a serious issue on Interstate 5) but managed to safely get my wife and her "Baby" off the highway only to have the car loss all power. I mean, cough, sputter, just die! WTF

Cutting to the chase: The thing had a blocked catalytic converter in addition to a blown head gasket. Chrysler said the converter had nothing to do with the blown head gasket, but if the exhaust can not get pass the converter it is going to seek the path of least resistance. I am not a mechanic, just thinking, am just saying. . . Chrysler's extended warranty covered the cost of repair for the head gasket, California requires emission component coverage of 8 years/80,000 miles by vehicle manufactures. So all's well in CruiserWorld. NO $&%#ING WAY the PT Cruiser has started doing the same things again at 35,432.

Before this cruiser my wife owned a Toyota Corolla LX (17yrs. 114k miles when sold) in the ENTIRE time we owned her Corolla with the except of routine maintenance/fuel the only money I spent on the car was to replace the OME wheels/tires with an upgrade, tint the windows and detailing. The car was rock solid and it was for that reason I made her wait two years after the cruiser hit the market before she could get one. She wanted this thing the day they hit the dealers, I thought a copy years wait would shake out the "bugs". I wonder if the cash for clunker program will make a repeat because this cruiser is going into the sunset QUICK!

- , Oceanside, CA, USA