3.5

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jul 172008

PT Cruiser

My 2005 PT CRUISER Chrysler at 49,661 miles was in an accident right front end there was no problems before when car was returned it was making a noise that is coming from the right tire when I returned it to the insurance company progressive they had it looked at and stated the front bearing and hub was gone and that this is a common problem as I checked some sites on line it appears to happen all the time and neither the insurance nor E Chrysler feels this defect is any of there faults.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Dec 182008

PT Cruiser

In 2007 I was driving when I started hearing a knocking sound in my tires. I was had the vehicle checked immediately, but no determination was found. Over the year I was forced to replace my tires 3 times because they would wear and I would slide and the tires would skid in simple weather. In March of 2008 I had to repair more tires and my ball joints on both sides in the front with wheel alignments. Also in 2007 I started hearing a squealing sound in the engine, I had it checked immediately and was told my power steering pump would need replacing. But decreased once the mechanic put in power steering fluid. Since then even now I still hear the squeaking and every month I have to put in steering fluid. I called Chrysler regarding recalls relating to these problems and was told no recalls were in effect. I have not received any info in 2008 regarding these recalls that I now see online. Also my automatic stick shift sticks especially when it's cold outside. I have almost hit something head on twice since December 2008 because it is hard to shift in park or neutral.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 102008

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2005 PT CRUISER convertible 5 spd manual. Have been very unsatisfied w/ car's performance. Bearings in both front axles had to be replaced at 61,000 miles B/C of significant wear, making car unsafe to drive. Right front wheel squeaked when I turned or just drove straight, and started making thumping noise in axle as I drove. Also, roof has a minor leak into trunk when it rains hard; cannot find the source where it is leaking.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 022008

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

- the contact owns a 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at 10 mph the contact had trouble steering. The steering wheel turned, but was stiff and she had to use both hands. The contact put power steering fluid into the vehicle and the steering became easier. The steering became stiff again and she realized that the power steering fluid was leaking. She was able to get the vehicle home and later had it towed to the dealer and repaired. The current mileage was 13,700. The failure mileage was 13,490. Update 04-02-08 the pressure steering hose was leaking and the bushings were worn

- Clinton, CT, USA

Sep 252006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

PT CRUISER 2005. Hearing thumping noises from right front. Sep. 2006 dealer replaces bearing, (20118 miles) July 07 more noise dealer finds axle spacers missing (28009 miles) Jan. 08 more noise dealer finds bad bearings again, this time out of warranty ($630 31406 miles).

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 212007

PT Cruiser

I own a 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER with 40,000 miles on it. The warranty is up and I just found out that the front axle bearing is shot. My mechanic was very shocked to discover this on such a new car and said it was very unsafe. I am very upset with Chrysler since I have come to find out that this is a chronic problem with the PT CRUISER and happens on every model and year. I have read about many exact same complaints from owners of this vehicle.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Dec 062006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2005 PT CRUISER (turbo) was taken to dealership for annual inspection and oil change. Inspection was not granted. Vehicle was pronounced "unsafe to drive" as the bearings on the spindle (on axle) were destroyed and both front wheels were wobbling. Mechanic said one or both wheels could come off. In the next bay was another PT CRUISER (turbo) with the identical problem. The mechanics discussed whether the design was sufficient to support the power of the turbo. Until the parts arrive (we have to pay the $600+ for them) we have a rental at the dealers suggestion and our cost.

- Franklin, NC, USA