2.3

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Sep 072016

PT Cruiser

The engine will not turn over, all other power seems to be on. Taken to mechanic and it will start. Had it for a few days and it did the same thing. I had to pay for two tows so far, and they are saying that it turns on for them. I'm seventy years old and afraid to drive this car, because it might do it again when I'm further away from home. I live alone and drive the car alone. Each time the car was parked.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 142016

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle jerked back and forth as if the brakes were being depressed and released. In addition, the vehicle began to smoke without warning. The contact was an independent mechanic and repaired the vehicle; however, the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 052016

PT Cruiser

While driving the vehicle at any time, on a city street or highway, all of the lights on the cluster would light up, all gauges would fluncuatate and the car would stall and shut off. I have taken vehicle to independent mechanics and a certified Chrysler service center and the problem is not able to be resolved. This issue causes concern and is effecting my transportation for employment and creating fear of driving the vehicle on highways.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312015

PT Cruiser

All lights and gauges flash or go to zero, engine fails and car stalls while going at highway speed. This has happened many times. Three times it has stalled to a halt, many times it just shudders. Car is almost undriveable.

- Brewster, MA, USA

Nov 132013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving, the instrument warning lights start flashing off and on, the gauges drop to zero then com back up, and the engine falters sometimes and stops other times. When engine stops, power steering is lost. Car will start up again with starter.

- Eden, NC, USA

Oct 242013

PT Cruiser

I was driving in traffic when all of the dash lights came on and the engine quit running. At that time I lost all steering and braking for the vehicle. It has happened about 10 times since then, twice while I was on the highway.

- Cleveland , MO, USA

Jan 012014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the gauges would suddenly malfunction and display erroneous information before the vehicle stalled. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally before the failure recurred. Also, the contact indicated that an electrical burning odor was present inside the vehicle during the incidences. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Cave City , KY, USA

Apr 252014

PT Cruiser

My transmission will not go into the last gear and was slipping. Car has 38,000 miles on it and when I had it checked out the mechanic said there was a cellinoid bad in the transmission and when he replaced it the transmission still was not working properly by not changing gears and when he took the part back to the parts store he was informed that there was a problem with Chrysler transmissions. I had a Town & Country van several years ago and that transmission also was defective. Now I cannot get my money back from buying a part that really wasn't needed because the transmission it self is defective. My mechanic felt so bad about this that he checked the internet and discovered Chrysler has a problem with their transmissions. What rights or what can we do about this? I do not have monies to squander and I am still paying for my car. Thanks.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Nov 102013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I bought this PT CRUISER from a local dealer, the first time it turned off I was at a stop sign and thought it just stalled from not being warmed up. About a week later I was driving down a local road doing 50 miles per hour when I bumped the key in the ignition with my knee. The car turned off. Luckily it was a straight road with no traffic and I was able to guide the car to a stop then restart it. This has happened a few times more, all with bumping my knee against the ignition key. It instantly turns the car off. With the GM recall in the news I wasn't paying attention since I don't have a GM car but decided to look when I heard it involved the ignition turning the car off. I saw that it is similar yet nothing being done about my ignition so I am filing this complaint. I have notified Chrysler of this problem I am experiencing. I know that many parts are used across brands and these parts may be the same. I am worried I may bump my knee on a windy road with my children in the car and not be able to recover stability and steering if it turns off. Please check into this immediately!!

- Crescent City, CA, USA

Jul 182012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

My PT CRUISER from time to time on a regular basis will suddenly stall. All gauges on instrument panel will light up and fall of at which call will stall. This action occurs either while idling and or at highway speeds while driving. The action sometimes will shut car down then after a few seconds start back up. Please find a solution. I've been investigating this situation and know one seems to care or no what the problem is. This has been occurring since 2006. I would like to no what has been done so I can get this dangerous problem fixed.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Nov 012012

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the entire instrument panel began to illuminate as the engine stalled. The vehicle was restarted after one hour and the contact was able to resume normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA