1997 Dodge Avenger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Avenger:

1997 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Sep 012008

Avenger ES 2.4L

Recently the steering on my '97 avenger started "sticking" as in when I turn the wheel past a quarter turn, the wheel catches, which after having my wife turn the wheel while I looked under the hood I discovered also causes the serpentine belt to stop rotating momentarily. I'm not sure if this is the timing belt, or if it's the power steering unit, or if it's just the rack and pinion steering... I don't know what the problem is, but so far it's looking like $500-$1700 to fix it, anyone else having/had this problem on the '97 Avenger or similar models? Maybe we can get Chrysler to put out a recall?

- , Glens Falls, NY, USA