2008 Dodge Avenger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Avenger

My Dodge avanger throttle bottle control keep going out. I contacted Dodge about this issue and the first time they adviced me to take it tobthe dealership and they fixed it but I still had fees to pay. The car had the samw issue a year later I just gotbit fixed. It has now did the same thing, I took it to the dealership and was told that this type of vehicle will continue to happen. The flashing lightning bolt on my dash continues to flash. I have read many other owners of this vehicle with the same issue. Chrysler Dodge is aware of this issue and when I contacted them they did nothing. I am also having an issue with the drivers window not going back up. There are many complaints on this as well. This is dangerous becousr while I was driving going past an intersection the car slowd completed down and then the red lights of a lightning bolt flashed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 072016

Avenger

The widows won't work it takes forever to put gas in the tank this car has a lot of problems

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 042016

Avenger

I brought a 2008 Dodge Avenger in March 2016 and shortly after purchasing it, the vehicle stalled while I was driving. It did it several times while driving trying to start it and while in reverse. I notice that when im driving and I slow down or coming to a stop it would kinda shake and I notice that the RPM side dropped below 0 and the car stalled. If I can feel it in time I would take my foot of the brake and let it go up to 1 and hit the brake again and sometimes that would help. I have been to mechanic shops and because the check engine light wasnt on it was not reading anything and ive contact the dealership to see if my vehicle was recalled which it should be because I have a new born and it stall on me in traffic on the freeway while an 18 wheeler was behind me so you can imagine my nerves. This vehicle is not safe and I can't spend a lot of money paying for the none existing problem as I am told. Because I cant afford it please help!!! this is a safety issue and I dont feel safe driving my car. Something is wrong and I can't keep paying people to do nothing about this situation. This is scary, thanks in advance

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 082016

Avenger

The electronic throttle control light will flash while driving at any speed and the car loses power, to which I am forced to pull over and restart the car. Now I am having battery issues with the car as well. I have reported this once before and have had no offers to fix the problem. Now that my daughter is driving the car I am forced to report this again. I feel it is only right for Dodge to recall and fix this. Other Dodge owners have reported the same issue. It may have not caused an accident yet, but why wait until it does"????" I dont always have a safe spot to pull over to restart the car. It is very scary. It has happened several times in the last 6 months.

- Maysville, WV, USA

Feb 022016

Avenger

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 cylinder. My starter has been replacing four times in less than forty day time frame, yes that is what I said. The car cut off on me while driving without any warning while I was on the interstate, fortunate for me and another account grandchild didn't get killed. Dodge-land of columbia, SC miss diagnosed and endangered me and on one account my then three year old grand baby, now four as of Feb 2nd. I voiced my concerns asked if they checked wiring or see if something electrical; I said it doesn't make since, something is shorting or causing the starter to burn out, did you'll check. Dodge-land said it's fixed now you don't have to worry, getting me to entrusted in what they say and believe, I did. Bill reassured me it was fixed said we checked it, it's not wiring, or nothing else, it's not electrical, pmc it's your starter, we checked it everything. Bill (service tech) said it was your starter, you don't have to worry we fixed it. ( fourth time now) fourth time Dodge-land said contacted Chrysler and was told they have a problem with that model computer component, module, I will have to pay a little over $800. To have it replaced Chrysler will not replace it for free. (safety recall) I am outraged and amazed, because that is an outright safety recall or should be. Please help me with my problem. I have papers from dpdge-land, it has all my personal information on them.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Dec 012015

Avenger

Horn started blaring, lights where going on and off while sitting in parking lot, driveway and when driving. Car started stalling when this problem started. Took to dealer and was told it was the tipm. Saw where in 2008 Dodge/Chrysler had issue with the tipm but the 2008 Avenger was left off. Have seen on Dodge talk and multiple other web sites that the 2008 Dodge Avenger has had this issue and Dodge/Chrysler is aware of it. It is a safety issue and they should have to repair the vehicles. Car currently at venice Dodge chyrsler dealership. 941-493-7986.

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 142015

Avenger

Vehicle stalls at traffic lights or in stopped traffic in wet weather. Mostly wet weather, but has occurred at least tree times in dry weather. Local good year ran a "wet test" on it, could not reproduce the stall. When this happens I put it in park, turn off the ignition, put on my hazards, and it starts back up with no problem. Mechanic cannot find the source. This is scary at the least and makes me nervous even thinking about having to drive when it is wet outside. I read a mention of a wiper motor.. that it may either be poorly grounded or is failing and drawing excessive current., he relates the stalling in wet weather to this as the wipers would either be on or in the delay setting. Any other circuits sharing the same ground circuit will get a reverse polarity voltage burst every time the wipers sweep, it seems that when it is on delay the sudden high resistance of the ground path knocks off voltage sensitive modules and things stop working for a moment, if you are off the gas, the engine just may stall out. He suggests checking the grounds, clean and tighten them. I have no idea if this could be the situation or not. I can give this information to my mechanic, but I do not want to go in with a guessing a game and hit or miss, that could get expensive. This has been happening on and off for about 6 months now, approx.. 95K miles.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Nov 292015

Avenger

Takata recall-the electronic throttle control light has been appearing in my car when I start it. I think it's absolutely insane the amount of complaints on the etc but yet nothing has been done about it. If Dodge is making a faulty part in their vehicles it should be covered under a recall or be fixed. I was driving 60 mph when I noticed my accelerator and rpms were being weird. Luckily the flashing etc came on as I was coming into town so I was able to pull into a parking lot. The winter season is approaching and I can't rely on my $10,000 car? something doesn't seem right there. I've had this car for two years and I can tell you already that I will never buy another one again. A recall needs to be announced. Absolutely ridiculous the amount of people having the same problem on the same car and nothing has been done.

- Wisconsin Dells, WI, USA

Sep 262014

Avenger

Electric throttle- I was driving at 35 all of a sudden my car loses power and my etc lid up and my car slowed down, good thing I was able to merge to the side and stop my car. Radiator- ever since I had my etc problem my car has been heating up.

- Farmers Branch, TX, USA

Jul 182014

Avenger 6-cyl

My 2008 Dodge Avenger has been intermittently losing rpms while driving for the past two months. The body shop initally told me that I needed my throttle body cleaned and a new battery. I paid for these repairs and the next day my car was doing the same thing. I am so afraid that I will be in an accident when the car loses power and I have to either continuously pump the gas pedal or put the car in neutral and then restart the car while it is still moving. I am only able to pull off the road half the time and the rest of the time other vehicles are behind me going at the speed that I was going prior to the car losing power...sidenote there is power to the car itself because the radio or the ac will still be on but the engine gets no gas. I would really like for Chrysler/Dodge to let us consumers know what is going on because I see that a lot of people are experiencing the same issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 282014

Avenger

This seems to be a common occurrence as I have heard this same scenario amongst many Dodge owners. A few days ago, my 2008 Dodge Avenger suddenly stopped accelerating as my foot was pressing the gas. It dropped down to a speed of 45mph and would not let me accelerate above this. The dash board also displayed a red lightning bolt. When I looked in the manual it advised that I get my vehicle serviced immediately and that it was an issue with the electronic stability control, most commonly this is described as the electronic throttle control. Given that my complaint resembles that of many others both on this sight and across Dodge forums, I would feel it necessary for a recall of this part.

- Elkhart Lake, WI, USA

Mar 262014

Avenger 4-cyl

Was driving down the highway and noticed a delayed response when pushing down on the accelerator, moments later I was unable to accelerate and the car's electronic throttle control light appeared. The car was unable to go more then 15 mph. I had to have the car towed. I did not receive a warning before this happened however, I did notice my car stalling a little bit a day prior to this happening. I see I am not the only person with this problem, now I have to see how much money this is going to cost me. I am a college student and need my car but not this types of expense and safety risks it comes with. There are 125,000 miles on the car at this time.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 072014

Avenger 4-cyl

The electronic throttle control and the engine light are constantly coming on and going off. This has been going on for two weeks now. I called a Dodge dealer and they told me that the recall for this very same issue is not for my car. My VIN supposedly is not in the sequence Chrysler decided to recall. I don't know what to do.

- Howell, MI, USA

Feb 242012

Avenger 4-cyl

Ever since I purchased my 2008 Dodge Avenger I have been burdened with a multitude of issues. My car stalled while I was sitting at a red light, no warning..it just died. Tire pressure light was always on. Vehicle launches/ jerks forward when cruising at a speed of 45 or below. (and this all happened with my first year of owning the car in 2008) in 2011 gear stick got stuck in the park position..I can go on but section is for airbags, which did not deploy during an accident I had last year, 2012. I slipped on black ice, which sent my car into a tail spin resulting me hitting...actually bouncing off of the guard rail a few times. Prior to the 2012 accident I have had instances where the airbag lights would randomly turn on, indicating a problem..then shutting off by itself. I would schedule appointments with the dealership, but by the time the appointment date arrives, the airbag light would magically disappear! I called Dodge customer service today, as the airbag indicator is back on again..I was told by the representative that there is nothing that they can do for me. She basically told me that I'm fresh out of luck, even though there is a recall, and I am experiencing the exact airbag issue as described in the recall, own the exact make, model and year vehicle. She said my VIN is not included in the recall, so there is nothing Dodge can do. I think the entire 2008 Dodge Avenger fleets are lemons and it is about time Dodge own up to their mistakes, they have no regard for their customers safety. When you are not stalling on the highways and byways, you are left stranded because you can not shift your gear out of park...oh and the airbag issue...its crucial, but unfortunalely Dodge does not think so.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Jan 212013

Avenger

I am fixing my throttle control body for the second time. I bought the 1800 dollar extended warranty and this work is not covered. To fix its 500 each time. The dealership just says tough luck mr.....the Dodge company just passes you from person to person until you either give up or hear sorry not our problem. This should not fail at all never mind two times in one year!!! I am telling everyone that will listen to not buy a Dodge product....

- Pawtucket , RI, USA

Oct 282012

Avenger

While driving on the interstate, my car suddenly dropped to 20mph and I had to pull off the road. I didn't have anywhere to pull over so I put my flashers on and drove as far right as I could until I had room to pull off the road. It was a very busy part of the interstate and I could have easily been ran over. I had to have it towed to the local dealership where they replaced and electric throttle. This is an issue Dodge Chrysler has been aware of for many years. It should be recalled.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Feb 032012

Avenger

I was driving on the highway and then the car just started like it was wanting to cut off when I was giving it throttle the car was jerking back and fourth I took it back to the place I bough it from and waiting on them to fix the issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 122011

Avenger 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle from a used car lot a year and a half ago. From the very first day I purchased the car, I had problems which are recorded with the place of purchase. I was told I could not get my money back. The only remedy offered was for the actual car dealership who sold me the vehicle would fix the problem. The first problem iv'E had started with the head lights, it then went onto my entire electrical system that gives mileage, warnings ect went out. Soon after that the alarm system, horn, and door locking system. There after "a pin" in which holds the gear in place went out and would not operate. The next thing that went out was the entire air conditioning and heating system. On or around April 12 there was a what looked like a spark near the air conditioning panel. When I removed the panel, there was evidence that there was a small spark or fire that actually melted a switch on the cooling and heating elements. It has yet to work since then. Today the 11/29/11 my car completely stalled while I was turning into a very dangerous intersection. This car is a total death trap waiting to happen. Unfortunately I am a single mother of 3 children with very little options financially to do otherwise. I have attempted several times to schedule recalls to be fixed by the Dodge dealer and they have not been helpful at all. There is no rental car offered and the estimated time of repair is not feasible. I hope this information will help.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the electronic control indicator light began to illuminate on the instrument panel. When pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would only accelerate to speeds of 15 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was in the process of having the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mustang , OK, USA

Mar 262009

Avenger

Driving on wet roads a loss of power occurs. Sometimes to problem can corrected by shifting into 3rd gear.(4spd automatic).dealers-2 cannot find the trouble. I am taking a list of recalls, defects, & complaints to dealer and company rep.

- Romulus, MI, USA