2008 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

May 212010

When leaving work I started my car but was unable to move the car out of park. It was completely unexpected and stranded me in 100 degree weather. I located a website where I found this to be a common occurrence with the 2008 Dodge Avenger. I have yet to take my car in to the dealership to have it looked at but several comments on the website I found said that this repair will cost around $350. Seems to me with so many people having this issue it should be a recall and not something that we should have to dish out that kind of money to repair.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 052010

2008 Dodge Avenger stuck in park.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 192010

My daughter was leaving her job at 1130pm when her car would not shift out of park. We attempted the suggestions in the manual which made it seem like this was a safety feature. The next day I called the service dept. And the technician told me to remove the shift console and pull the pink switch and it release park and I would be able to drive it. I drove directly to the dealer. They knew the exact problem (must have had before). The shifter and the shifter assembly were replaced in two days. Was very satisfied with the service dept. Many more complaints were noted on the internet, but stated no recall.

- Kentwood, LA, USA

Apr 182010

Ref : Dodge Avenger 2008 - gear shift module lock up - please look into above issue since this is happening with most of the Avengers. The gear shift locks and cannot be released. The whole gear shift console needs to be replaced. The dealer does not want to take responsibility and it's very expensive to replace. After further research most of the Dodge and Chrysler vehicles have been having these problems for years.

- Plantation , FM, USA

Apr 072010

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger with 40,800 miles on it. I had a problem with the gear shifter stuck in park. The problem seems to be very common in many Dodge vehicles, it seems to be a very cheap plastic part. Could there be a recall on this problem"??"

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 092010

I have had my 2008 Dodge Avenger for almost 2 years. Car has no problems when I drove it earlier in the day. The car cranked with no problems, but when I tried to put it in gear would not move. Called a mechanic who towed the car and informed me it was a broken shifting column. Item not broken from wear and tear.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Mar 152010

Bought the car used. 41,000 miles. Car stalls when coming to a stop at stop lights and stop signs when it is raining. Talked with dealer and stated nothing noted about the problem.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Mar 082010

I took my son to the er room and my car was running fine. I come out and start my car everything was good. I tried to take it out of park and my shift gear was stuck. I have researched and a lot of people are having the same problems. My car is only two years old. 2008 Dodge Avenger.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 282009

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Avenger Dec. 31, 2008. It was a used vehicle, the first problem may have been 5-6 months of having the car, it would stall when cranking and had cut off a couple of times when driving in traffic. I took it to the dealer and they claim they couldn't find what was wrong with it. About a month later the airbag light stays on while driving. They fix that. Now 10 months after having the car I'm in the car and trying to reverse and can't. the dealer tells me that my warranty just ran out. The part costs $200. I can't afford that and I don't think I should because I hadn't even had the car for a year. They told me I couldn't do anything unless I had a warranty. My boyfriend's brother had to take the cover off and now everytime I want to go in reverse I have to push in this red spring in order for it to reverse. Please let me know who I can talk to about this problem. It is unsafe for me to drive like this, the console is not there but I can't afford the part right now.

- Danville, VA, USA

Oct 012009

This is the second time my shifter will not work. I am unable to remove out of park. I have already had to replace it once. This was a cost of 250 dollars. With in a month this piece broke again. If this is a problem that the current oem part can not fix please redesign a new one for the recall.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Aug 252009

My gearshift suddenly stopped working. I had no previous problems or any indications that it was going to break and leave me stranded at my house. I contacted coffee Chrysler in douglas ga and spoke to the service manager. She informed me many people have been having this problem lately. I told her I noticed the complaints on the internet about it and suggested that Dodge needs to issue a recall. She informed me, the problem is caused by consumers not engaging the brake while engaging the gear shift. You have to engage the brake in order to engage the gear shift. It cost me $226.22 to repair. I was lucky this had happened at my house. I would have been beyond furious if this had happened anywhere else. I feel Dodge needs to fix this problem and pay for it. My car is a 2008. This kind of thing should not be happening.

- Baxley, GA, USA

Sep 172009

On my 2008 Dodge Avenger with less than 26,000 miles on it the shifter is stuck in the park position. Now me and my husband have just found out that this happens on a lot of Dodge vehicles and we are not under warranty. We think that this may be some sort of defect because it happens to others Dodge. We have not had the problem corrected because we have no money to do so.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 102009

A bolt came loose at end of crank shaft which caused a noise and vibration. The synchronized balancer cracked. We have only had the car for one year and 50,000 miles.

- Artesia, NM, USA

Jul 272009

My 2008 Dodge Avenger would not shift out of park. There is a plastic tab which facilitates this that broke.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Dec 262008

I was traveling in my '08 Dodge Avenger SXT w/my son making a left hand turn around a corner & vehicle just turned off by itself w/O warning. Went head on into oncoming traffic & went up onto a curb. Put vehicle into park & restarted it. The vehicle has to date shut off on us 6 X's. the even when incident happened was we were just driving the car-going home. The vehicle gives no signs, beeps or warnings that it is going to shut off. It just shuts off by itself. It has occurred a total of 6X's so far. I took the vehicle-which is still under original factory warranty-to the Dodge dealership & notified the dealership where vehicle was purchased of the issues w/the vehicle. There are also recalls that were not fixed & electrical issues as well as transmission, brake & tires issues that are still as of this date not repaired because they "could not duplicate the problem". the dealership had the vehicle for 13 days before telling me the computer needed to be "flashed". they did that & car still stalls out when stopped @ stop signs or lights. They told me they do not know why it turned off on me & why the steering locked up & brakes locked up when it turned off. So therefore they cannot tell me that they know why the car has died & that the issue is even fixed! they will not say that it will not turn off on us again. I have researched online several sites (popular mechanics, etc.) & see that I am not the only one this has happened to. I bought this car to be able to have a safe, reliable & dependable car for me & my son. My son has cerebral palsy so I have to drive in this car. I feel that its 50/50 when we get in this car & that everytime could be the time when we're going 50 on the interstate in a turn & the car turns off & we hopefully don't die! I feel that this car has a major defect or flaw in its design somewhere. I love the car but I am scared to drive it now. I do not want me or my son to die in this car! its only a matter of time before someone does. Thank you.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 222008

Gear shift locked up in park. Went out to leave for work as usual and the gear shift would not come out of park, had it towed to dealer and they say it is the gear shift module and had to order the part from detroit. They still don't have the part and I am paying for a rent car they put me in at their discount rate of $35 a day. They said it would be only a couple of days.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA