2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Sep 052014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle lost power acceleration and failed to accelerate over 30 mph. The contact mentioned that an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart and operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Fowlerville , MI, USA

Jun 142013

Avenger

I started the car and it drove normally for 1/4 mile. Car then began bucking and would not accelerate over 20mph. Electric throttle light came on. Shop said the electric throttle needed to be replaced. Got it replaced in June of 2013. In August of 2014, my battery light came on. Car drove normally. Stopped after an hour trip. Two hours later car wouldn't start. Received a jump, car started but would not accelerate over 25 mph. Electric throttle light, check engine light, and battery light are on. To the shop I go again...almost two months after the warranty has expired...

- Frankfort , KY, USA

Jul 302014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated power and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Hillsboro, IL, USA

Jun 102014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle's speed decreased to 10 mph and the power indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact turned off the vehicle for 10 minutes, but the vehicle would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who stated that the electric throttle needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Apr 142014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the electronic throttle control light illuminated. The contact coasted the vehicle onto the emergency lane and restarted it. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Apr 032014

Avenger 4-cyl

Battery light warning came on, cruise control stopped working, car would no longer shift or was drivable. This occurred on the freeway and we were almost hit. Once stopped the car would not turn back on. This appears to be connected to either recall H07, which may be recurring, or to an item that should be recalled relating to the electronic throttle control. There are multiple incidents regarding this item. I've had several completed recalls that don't appear to have been completed or are recurring.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 282014

Avenger

This seems to be a common occurrence as I have heard this same scenario amongst many Dodge owners. A few days ago, my 2008 Dodge Avenger suddenly stopped accelerating as my foot was pressing the gas. It dropped down to a speed of 45mph and would not let me accelerate above this. The dash board also displayed a red lightning bolt. When I looked in the manual it advised that I get my vehicle serviced immediately and that it was an issue with the electronic stability control, most commonly this is described as the electronic throttle control. Given that my complaint resembles that of many others both on this sight and across Dodge forums, I would feel it necessary for a recall of this part.

- Elkhart Lake, WI, USA

Mar 262014

Avenger 4-cyl

Was driving down the highway and noticed a delayed response when pushing down on the accelerator, moments later I was unable to accelerate and the car's electronic throttle control light appeared. The car was unable to go more then 15 mph. I had to have the car towed. I did not receive a warning before this happened however, I did notice my car stalling a little bit a day prior to this happening. I see I am not the only person with this problem, now I have to see how much money this is going to cost me. I am a college student and need my car but not this types of expense and safety risks it comes with. There are 125,000 miles on the car at this time.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and could not be restarted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000. Updated 4/28/14

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Feb 242014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the accelerator pedal vibrated abnormally as the rpms rapidly fluctuated and the interior lights became dim. Additionally, the vehicle would not accelerate over 10 mph. The failure recurred as the contact traveled at various speeds. A local mechanic performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the throttle body. The throttle body was cleaned in addition to the air filter and the battery being replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 71,000.

- Washington Township , MI, USA

Feb 192014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle began to lose power as the check engine and the throttle warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic where they stated that the spark plugs and coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the throttle warning light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Mar 072014

Avenger 4-cyl

The electronic throttle control and the engine light are constantly coming on and going off. This has been going on for two weeks now. I called a Dodge dealer and they told me that the recall for this very same issue is not for my car. My VIN supposedly is not in the sequence Chrysler decided to recall. I don't know what to do.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jan 292014

Avenger

We have experienced a drop in RPM's in wet weather, mainly at lower speeds during a deceleration mode that felt like the vehicle would die. A slow response to a panicked foot was always what happened. This began at approx. 25,000-30,000 miles. Never while in the dealer repair shop. While driving our 2008 Avenger, there was a rapid deceleration that occurred accompanied by the etc light coming on and flashing. I applied gas and nothing happened, then a split second later, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, etc light went out. I slowly accelerated to 55 mph and noticed that the rpms were higher than usual (3200) for the speed and also felt a hiccup or cutting out feel. I thought that I had lost 4th gear? my husband and I are seasoned auto service advisors & are very much in tune with our vehicles. Along with the aforementioned issues, now at freeway speeds, RPM's will drop; while the engine feels as if it will cut off & etc light comes on, then goes out. I have done extensive research & found on this NHTSA website, approx. 90% of complaints for like vehicles to be exact or similar to what we are experiencing. I stopped looking after 5 pages.(95% of 1st 5 pages are filled with like concerns). I will be contacting the Chrysler corporation as well. Why an official recall has not been announced, befuddles me. I hope this obvious safety issue does not get ignored any longer. 110,000 is on the vehicle odometer now. The mileage we have on our vehicle is a similar common denominator that is easily seen on the other etc related complaints for 2008 Avengers. *note-stop light sw. & accelerator position sensor have been replaced per recommendation of Chrysler technician. This made no difference. (except in our bank account).

- Fife, WA, USA

Feb 212014

Avenger 4-cyl

The electronic throttle control on my 2008 Dodge Avenger broke. This is a known problem to Dodge but they have a 2 to 3 week back log on the part to fix this problem. Now I don't have my car for 2 to 3 weeks and I now have to rent one. If this is a known problem why hasn't a recall be placed on this part" why if this is known do they have such a back log on parts. If this is a known problem why am I paying for a rental car? this is a total lack of customer service on a corporation level. This is not the first car I have had this kind of problem with when it comes to Dodge products. As a loyal Dodge driver for the last 20 years this is the last straw. Their incompetence as a company can no longer be overlooked and brushed away. When will they accept responsibility for the product they produce and stand behind it" although I expect Dodge to do nothing as usual they have just lost one more customer.

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Jan 022014

Avenger

My Dodge Avenger had a throttle control light illuminated on the dash when first starting the vehicle. Thereafter, the car first would not go over 20 mph. Later this problem progressed. The car only had a small amount of power. It could get up to 30-40 mph on flat areas but struggled to maintain 5 mph on inclines. The vehicle would also shake violently when the transmission was in gear but the vehicle was stopped do to engine vibrations. I have replaced the part and the car is still havin the same problem. At this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Feb 012014

Avenger 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway going 55mph and the electronic throttle indicator light came on and my car failed to increase speed and started to jerk slightly. The rpms then jumped from 1700 about to over 2500 then started pushing 3000 and wouldn't go down until I was off the highway and going 30mph. My RPM was still around 2500. I was able to pull over and turn my car off and that seemed to fix the issue, until I needed to go on the highway again. Everytime my car went to shift to a higher gear when I was hitting between 50 and 55mph it would happen. It took my car to a mechanic who told me my car was undrivable because this would ruin my transmission. I now have a completely dead car due to the part I need being nationally unavailable.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Feb 052014

Avenger 4-cyl

Was coming to a stop off of the interstate and all of a sudden lost speed power. Was unable to go over 10 mph from my stopping point. The etc light was flashing. I have not yet taken it to a mechanic. I did shut the car off and restarted and it seems to be running fine now.... but will this happen again?

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Jul 182012

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the electronic throttle control failed without warning. The failure recurred three times over a period of eighteen months. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 03/31/14 the consumer stated on 3/9/14, while driving, the etc light illuminated again. All power to vehicle was lost. The consumer pulled over and restarted the vehicle. The consumer was then able to continue home. Updated 04/01/2014

- Petersburg, WV, USA

Jan 012014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving 60 mph. The vehicle was taken an independent mechanic for inspection where the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Waterloo, NY, USA

Jan 072014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled as a lighting bolt icon illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic, who stated that the throttle control body needed to be replaced. The contact did not replace the throttle control body. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN was not available.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA