2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Oct 282012

Avenger

While driving on the interstate, my car suddenly dropped to 20mph and I had to pull off the road. I didn't have anywhere to pull over so I put my flashers on and drove as far right as I could until I had room to pull off the road. It was a very busy part of the interstate and I could have easily been ran over. I had to have it towed to the local dealership where they replaced and electric throttle. This is an issue Dodge Chrysler has been aware of for many years. It should be recalled.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 122011

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The same failure occurred previously. The manufacturer was contact and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Oct 202012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving approximately 55 mph, the throttle sensor warning indicator illuminated with a sudden reduction in acceleration power. The vehicle then independently decelerated to 20 mph. The contact maneuvered to the side of the road and the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician replaced the throttle harness. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Oconto, WI, USA

Mar 152012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving approximately 45 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle within a few minutes. The vehicle also exhibit a jerking motion while driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to two independent mechanics for diagnostic testing. The throttle was cleaned twice but the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Sep 242012

Avenger

For the past 6 months I've been getting a lightening bolt indicator light coming on. The car will stall. Now it's so bad that this morning it would not go past 10 mph. The light goes off by the time I can get into the shop. A friend had the same exact car with the exact same problems and the dealership had to replace her throttle body 3 times and it still wouldn't fix it. This car needs a recall since I can't afford to fix a $500 problem over and over and over.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Sep 142012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the electron throttle control warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they would further inspect the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Sep 112012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the throttle control warning light illuminated while driving and the engine rpms increased to 2000. In addition, the vehicle began to jerk abnormally while the contact was attempting to accelerate. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Faisty , KY, USA

Apr 052012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would not accelerate over 25 mph. The electronic throttle sensor warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The contact was advised by a mechanic to add fuel injector cleaning fluid and new tire octane gas to the vehicle. The contact did just that however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 73,000. The current mileage was 86,000.

- Corry, PA, USA

Sep 032012

Avenger 6-cyl

Received indicator light that electronic throttle control failed, in the middle of traffic my car dropped speed to 20 miles an hour, I was almost rear ended with two children in my car. I have spoke to several Dodge certified mechanics and they has all attested that this is a known issue but not being fixed. I called Dodge and they said my issue was an isolated incident. When I told them that I spoke to their mechanics and research and found hundreds of other customers with this issue they said and I quote "you can find anything you want if you search long enough". some one is going to get killed if their car drops to 20 miles an hour on a freeway.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 012012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stopped accelerating and became stuck in a low gear. The vehicle was taken to two different mechanics for diagnosis but they were unable to identify the problem. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who was unsure about the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 93,782 and the current mileage is 94,780.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 172012

Avenger 4-cyl

Car stuck in gear, cant reduce speed, powertrain module needs to be replace, I've had the car only for 1 1/2.

- Rockford , IL, USA

May 072012

Avenger

Driving my car fine one minute, get in it the next day and there's an lighting bolt on my dash. The car won't go over 20mph. The light blinks than I shut car off and restart it and the light just stays on. Couple weeks later the light goes away. Then weeks later after a month of no light, light comes back on. I take it to dealer and they say the codes for the throttle showed up. They cleaned it out, put a new filter on and sent me on my way. Driving for a good week with no light, here comes light again. Sometimes it resets it self after I restart car but now the light stays on. 20mph. Chrysler needs to recall this car. Too many people with the same car, same problem and they just ignore.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 082012

Avenger

While driving this morning, my car hesitated and stalled. I was able to get my car restarted, but the check engine light came on. After a couple of minutes of driving, the electronic throttle control light came on and the car lost power and would not accelerate. It was very stressful because this all happened during rush hour traffic in Washington DC. I have researched this problem and it seems that it is a common occurrence... please recall now for safety reasons!!!!

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 152012

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that after started the vehicle, the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. There was loud noise and shaking from the vehicle while idle. In addition, the vehicle would not accelerate over 12 mph. The contact was able to resolve the shaking failure momentarily once the vehicle was shut off and restarted. The failure recurred frequently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a repair shop for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a claim was filed. The current mileage was 76,000. The failure mileage was 75,995. Updated 9/10/12

- Clarks Summit, PA, USA

Jun 142012

Avenger 4-cyl

I was driving 25 mph when the electronic throttle control indicator light came on. The light remained lit while I was driving. The speed of my car decreased and I was not able to accelerate when pushing the gas pedal. My car seemed as if it was coasting. I turned my car around to park it. When I pressed the brakes my car seemed like it wanted to shut off. My car began jerking. I did not make it even 1 mile from my home before this took place.

- Warrensville Heights, OH, USA

Jun 042012

Avenger 6-cyl

While driving on highway, etc light came on signifying problem with throttle component. After doing research, it appears that this is an ongoing problem with Dodge vehicles including the 2008 Avenger. Many statements online urged to open claim here as this can be an expensive problem that is not covered by warranty or recall.

- Easton, PA, USA

Oct 132010

Avenger 4-cyl

I have been having problems with my Dodge Avenger for about 40,000 miles now and have had it into multiple shops without the problem being solved. The electronic throttle control light comes on and off at random times either causing my car to shut off while im going down the road, cause power lag with no acceleration about 45 mph or shifting into different gears, or the engine light comes on along with the etc light and the car will idle very high then very low and repeat the process making the car unable to drive. The vehicle has shut off on me while going down interstate and highways and I've almost been hit several times because of it. I see lots of postings with the same issue but there are no recalls on this issue which dealerships do not know how to fix. I've been told to change the battery, the TPMS was messing up, the throttle valve was sticking, improper fuel delivery, and that the car wasn't getting enough air. None of these once fixed were the cause of the car freaking out and now im forced to drive day to day with my son in the car hoping it works well enough that an accident wont happen. I've seen enough complaints about the electronic throttle control that there should have been a recall a long time ago to fix this yet it's been 4 years and still nothing is being done to help make peoples vehicles safe again that they paid for.

- Osgood , OH, USA

Mar 012012

Avenger

Car stalls on highway around 50 mph will not speed up. Needs to be pulled over to regain speed. Large semi truck had to brake to avoid hitting vehicle on highway. Changed many parts and now will not go over 50 and shift out of second. Spent about $300 on parts alone and friends shop help with problems. Still not fixed. May need to park it before my family dies in it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 152012

Avenger 4-cyl

My wife was driving the vehicle a 2008 Dodge Avenger and was accelerating at about 45 mph a lighting bolt looking indicator light came on fora short period and the engine stalled as she let off gas light went off and car speed leveled off, happened 2nd time that nite. Next day engine stalled once upon acceleration but no light. Took to dealer said gas pedal is remote and sends signal to throttle body. Well in this case throttle body didn't receive signal. The entire throttle body had to be replaced, as the actual failing part is not sold separately. Est cost $415. Not covered by Chrysler or my extended warranty I purchased. I protested the sales manager offered to split the bill. No this is a defective part as I've heard numerous Dodge owners have same complaint. I shouldn't have to pay anything and it should be a recall. As I see it is a defective part. It only has 64,00 miles and 4 years old. Suppose it stalled in a critical point, someone could be hurt or worst. This part has been an problem apparently for years. Seems a redesign is in need and in fact past due.

- Mount Olive, NC, USA

Feb 232012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact was driving approximately 68 mph when the electronic throttle control indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and coasted to the side of the road; not exceeding 20 mph. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileages were approximately 87,900. The VIN was unavailable.

- Clio, MI, USA