2008 Dodge Avenger miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Aug 262016

My Dodge avanger throttle bottle control keep going out. I contacted Dodge about this issue and the first time they adviced me to take it tobthe dealership and they fixed it but I still had fees to pay. The car had the samw issue a year later I just gotbit fixed. It has now did the same thing, I took it to the dealership and was told that this type of vehicle will continue to happen. The flashing lightning bolt on my dash continues to flash. I have read many other owners of this vehicle with the same issue. Chrysler Dodge is aware of this issue and when I contacted them they did nothing. I am also having an issue with the drivers window not going back up. There are many complaints on this as well. This is dangerous becousr while I was driving going past an intersection the car slowd completed down and then the red lights of a lightning bolt flashed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 172016

I was on highway I-80 and the horn started going off on its own. Engine started to lose power but thankfully it kept going and I made it home. Went to auto shop and they disconnected both horns. A week later, after I stopped, turned the engine off and tried to restart it, the engine would not start. Had the battery jumped and the car started. A week later the engine shut off again while driving. Stopped at red light on very busy street and the engine just shut down. Had vehicle towed to mechanic. It started. Mechanic could not find anything wrong. Tested the battery and it was good. Drove car home. 4 days later car would not start again. Waited 15 minutes and engine started. I am terrified to drive this vehicle! I don't know when the vehicle will stop. This vehicle is hazardous and could cause a fatal accident!!!

- Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 042016

I brought a 2008 Dodge Avenger in March 2016 and shortly after purchasing it, the vehicle stalled while I was driving. It did it several times while driving trying to start it and while in reverse. I notice that when im driving and I slow down or coming to a stop it would kinda shake and I notice that the RPM side dropped below 0 and the car stalled. If I can feel it in time I would take my foot of the brake and let it go up to 1 and hit the brake again and sometimes that would help. I have been to mechanic shops and because the check engine light wasnt on it was not reading anything and ive contact the dealership to see if my vehicle was recalled which it should be because I have a new born and it stall on me in traffic on the freeway while an 18 wheeler was behind me so you can imagine my nerves. This vehicle is not safe and I can't spend a lot of money paying for the none existing problem as I am told. Because I cant afford it please help!!! this is a safety issue and I dont feel safe driving my car. Something is wrong and I can't keep paying people to do nothing about this situation. This is scary, thanks in advance

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152015

Car stops while driving and may crank after 5-15 minutes of waiting, horn blows for no reason, wipers malfunction. Problem caused by tipm. No recall in us one is in Canada (found on autozone recall list) also found info on relating to the tipm and on another website I have been to 3 mechanic shops and two dealerships. Please help us get this problem resolved. Thanks. The car cuts off while driving most of the ti, E. there has been times when the car cuts of before the car is even moved. It dosent matter have long the car has been driven. The horn had to be disconnected becuse it would not stop blowing. That was the first thing that went wrong before the car started going dead. The next sign was the car started jerking but then would not go over 30 mph. I dont kow what happened but the car didnt do that long. From then on the car goes dead which is extremely dangerous, especially on the interstate.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Sep 102015

When fueling my vehicle I get back splash all the time. It started when my Avenger reach 50000 miles

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 282016

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 cylinder. My starter has been replacing four times in less than forty day time frame, yes that is what I said. The car cut off on me while driving without any warning while I was on the interstate. I have now paid around 1,440. So far now. This is a major safety issue whether or not my VIN number fits the bill, it has happened and has grossly endangered my family to include grandchild and myself not to mention increase the risk of multiple crash. The following are information I have found reason for stalled engines of 2008 doge Avengers. All work done at Dodge service dept. I have receipts from dealership with my complaints about engine stall issues. Please help me. Sincere, thanks major safety issue: Resulting in an engine stall or engine failure. The engine stalls while driving it may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler dealers should replace the tipm module, free of charge. Flash the totally integrated power module (tipm) or replace the occupant restraint control module, as needed, free of charge. September 2008 -- Chrysler is recalling 712 my 2009 sebring, Dodge caliber, Avenger, journey, Jeep patriot, and compass vehicles. A new adhesive used in the power train control module (PCM) manufacturing process can cause the printed circuit board to break. This can cause the engine to stall and cause a crash without warning. Dealers will replace the PCM free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during November 2008.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Aug 262015

Car started stalling while driving 2 days after purchase. Dealer said use car is as is. But since then 3 different mechanics have look at it and they can't find anything wrong. Last mechanic headed for a week and couldn't find anything. Four months later started to jerk before stalling and the throttle light came on. Three days later the check engine light came back on and the day after it started doing the same thing. Back to the shop and seven days later because it was loosing fuel pressure the fuel pump was replace. Now 2 days later is doing the same thing again. This car can't be repair if they can't find what's wrong. And that included a Dodge dealer that had the car for a week, charge me $75 and couldn't find what's wrong. The car is unsafe, it stall while driving and can cause a serious accident.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 022016

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 cylinder. My starter has been replacing four times in less than forty day time frame, yes that is what I said. The car cut off on me while driving without any warning while I was on the interstate, fortunate for me and another account grandchild didn't get killed. Dodge-land of columbia, SC miss diagnosed and endangered me and on one account my then three year old grand baby, now four as of Feb 2nd. I voiced my concerns asked if they checked wiring or see if something electrical; I said it doesn't make since, something is shorting or causing the starter to burn out, did you'll check. Dodge-land said it's fixed now you don't have to worry, getting me to entrusted in what they say and believe, I did. Bill reassured me it was fixed said we checked it, it's not wiring, or nothing else, it's not electrical, pmc it's your starter, we checked it everything. Bill (service tech) said it was your starter, you don't have to worry we fixed it. ( fourth time now) fourth time Dodge-land said contacted Chrysler and was told they have a problem with that model computer component, module, I will have to pay a little over $800. To have it replaced Chrysler will not replace it for free. (safety recall) I am outraged and amazed, because that is an outright safety recall or should be. Please help me with my problem. I have papers from dpdge-land, it has all my personal information on them.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Dec 012015

Horn started blaring, lights where going on and off while sitting in parking lot, driveway and when driving. Car started stalling when this problem started. Took to dealer and was told it was the tipm. Saw where in 2008 Dodge/Chrysler had issue with the tipm but the 2008 Avenger was left off. Have seen on Dodge talk and multiple other web sites that the 2008 Dodge Avenger has had this issue and Dodge/Chrysler is aware of it. It is a safety issue and they should have to repair the vehicles. Car currently at venice Dodge chyrsler dealership. 941-493-7986.

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 142015

Vehicle stalls at traffic lights or in stopped traffic in wet weather. Mostly wet weather, but has occurred at least tree times in dry weather. Local good year ran a "wet test" on it, could not reproduce the stall. When this happens I put it in park, turn off the ignition, put on my hazards, and it starts back up with no problem. Mechanic cannot find the source. This is scary at the least and makes me nervous even thinking about having to drive when it is wet outside. I read a mention of a wiper motor.. that it may either be poorly grounded or is failing and drawing excessive current., he relates the stalling in wet weather to this as the wipers would either be on or in the delay setting. Any other circuits sharing the same ground circuit will get a reverse polarity voltage burst every time the wipers sweep, it seems that when it is on delay the sudden high resistance of the ground path knocks off voltage sensitive modules and things stop working for a moment, if you are off the gas, the engine just may stall out. He suggests checking the grounds, clean and tighten them. I have no idea if this could be the situation or not. I can give this information to my mechanic, but I do not want to go in with a guessing a game and hit or miss, that could get expensive. This has been happening on and off for about 6 months now, approx.. 95K miles.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Sep 192015

I was driving to the store through my neighborhood and the airbag light kept coming on and going off. Even after I turned my car off and back on it did the same thing.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Sep 102014

Avenger 4-cyl

For the last 2 years car has had problems on and off. The rpms increased while driving. They even increased when the brakes are being applied. The causes a major problem especially if trying to drive in inclement weather. I took car to garage and was told there is a bulletin on this specific problem and it should be covered by a recall. I contacted dealership and they said "no recall" on this. After researching the internet I see the 2008 Dodge Avenger has a terrible reputation. I will never purchase another Dodge!!!!

- Bluefield, VA, USA

Mar 282014

Car will not pick up speed and RPM not working. When at red light or stop sign car will cut off no warning

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 252013

When proceeding from a complete stop, my car stalls. It is in the drive mode and is trying to go but can't, once it does start to go, it jerks forward. And it is starting to do it more often than not. I thought it may have had something to do with my brakes, since they were squeaking, but I have since gotten them repaired and the stalling continues. Also sounds like something is gurrgeling under the hood. Really don't even want to think about how much $$ the repairs are going to cost.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 022012

Gears lock in park..first of me having / knowing about this problem. I've only own this car (2008 Avenger) a yr & a half... now it's at the dealership waiting on confirmation from Chrysler...

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 122011

Avenger 4-cyl

We bought this car used a year ago. Soon after the ac compressor went out. We had it repaired. Then the brakes went out. Had them fixed, but they still grind and are not right. Had the rotars looked at and fixed, but still not good. Then the ac blew again, had it repaired again. Then we heard a loud noise when car idling that sounds like a scream. Then the ac blew again and now their is a grinding noise in engine and it sounds like a lawn mower. We are very unhappy and wrote to Dodge.oh wait this is all following the shifter breaking (pin issue) and having to ask Dodge to make this a recall which they did.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jan 292012

Driving on the freeway and my 2008 Dodge Avenger suddenly loses power and begins to idle and run rough. The red electric bolt sign came on and was flashing. Car continued to run funny not having normal power and unable to accelerate. When I turned the car off and then back on it reset. ?

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Mar 182004

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Avenger from Kia/plano and I have had nothing bu trouble. I have reported this to the lemon law and now the attorney general of Texas greg abbott.

- Terrell, TX, USA