2.1

2009 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Avenger:

2009 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Apr 112012

Avenger 4-cyl

The vehicle stalls, and the engine revs up when braking, it lists a misfire on the code reader. Not sure what this is but the internet says it may be a need for a reprogram the transmission/PCM. If it needs reprogrammed that should be a recall! this is a safety issue when braking to have the engine rev.

- Carroll, OH, USA

Oct 072013

Avenger

Notice RPM / mph would rev-up...did not think much of it till I notice, having to apply brake S harder when coming to a stop becuase the car was still acceraling while I was appling pressure to brake. Notice when taking off from a complete stop or partial stop, car would stumble (RPM would drop to zero --just as to stall). Check eng. Light came on took car directly to service repair shop -code P2017(intake runner valuve error)-replace intak mainfold- (488445aj). Less then 4 hours of pick up, same problem but worst. Back to auto service center they found nothing (no codes, no errors, no warning lights). Took 2009 Avenger to a dealship-told them - driving issues I was having & no warning lights. They came back with same error "foudn cel on found intake mainifold runner value stuck), I told them I just had part replaced. They told me the part is defected, to keep my orignal warranty in place it took car back to auto service center which did the orig, job- place part 2 times (maniffold intake -kit) each time the car cont. W/ same driving issues but the last one - no codes/error after running a scan test, car was still stumbling from take off & RPM/mph rev-up when break & coming to a stop it jerks in a forward motion. Back to dealership - they stated could not find any problems. Pick up car -still same issues, car will be on its way back to a dogde dealership service dept. I feel this issue has gotten to the point of being a safey issue after serveral times not being albe to stop and car trying to stall as I try and cross major roadway. One last issue which I have notice while driving hwy mostly I notice my RPM drop and pop right back up, speed also but not as bad. All the issues appears to be something is sticking and if its the manifold -what can you do if you can only use Dodge parts - replacement(3-X's) within a 3 wks time. Plz advise Dodge to review.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Feb 082013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 20 mph before stalling. All of the warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where a diagnostic was performed and the failure was identified as the power train control module, which needed reprogramming. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train) but was advised that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 082012

Avenger 4-cyl

My check engine light came on P2004. I then took it to a shop and was advised it was the electronic throttle control. They have been getting many customers taking their cars in for the same problem. Was advised to take it to Dodge because there should be a recall. The shop did not even charge me for the diagnostic. The car is not drivable. I stalled and was almost hit at a light. I called Dodge and it is going to be $105 for a diagnostic and once they find out what needs to be done they will give me a price. The information from the other shop told me to start looking online. There are thousands of forums with thousands of complaints. Dodge closes at 4pm on Saturday and they cannot look at my car today. In the meantime, I am left stranded. If a recall should be made, please make it soon.

- Tucson, AZ, USA