3.9

2011 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Avenger:

2011 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Apr 082016

Avenger

After 4 years vehicle has begun stalling after auto start when you turn key on. It has also begun stalling at lights. Hard to detect a stall right away until you go to use it. Caused a few times a very unsafe condition.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Sep 202013

Avenger 6-cyl

Shortly after exceeding the 30,000 mile warranty the gear shift would not come out of park. Fortunately, it seems this issue has happened to others because I found a youtube video on how to get it out of park by removing the gear shift cover and using a screwdriver to lift the piece that is usually lifted by the brake cable to the gear shift. The dealer ordered the part replacement but the labor costs were exorbitant so I took it to a friend who used to be a Dodge dealer and they fixed it for less than $100.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Aug 232014

Avenger 4-cyl

I was driving Aug 23 along in a street when the car just stalled, I immediately put the gear in park then start the engine again it worked.. then Aug 25 I was backing up from my work drive wayin the morning when it dies again.. there were no engine light or battery light in the dashboard then it wont start... I waited like 5mins to start it again then it worked again...then it happened again the car stalled again while im driving home same day... then Aug 28 past 415pm when I was about to leave to do some errands the car was parked on the street it didn't start I called triple a thinking it needs a jump start... after 15 mins the car starts again... then Aug 29 the car stalled again along the street sunset and wilton it just dies again I re start it again...im so afraid for my safety and the safety of others on what this car defects are.. I decided to went to midas same day Aug 29 and have my car diagnosed... the mgr told me battery results are ok.. the starter test is normal...the charging system test is normal advised me to take it to the dealer... I took it to the downtown la dealer they don't accept walk ins the service writer told me they need to have the car in the service shop for 3 days to run a test it will cost me $100 something... I cant afford it... im a low income employee.. I cant afford to have my car in the shop for 3 days...he told me the cost might run from $200 to $1,000 depends on the problem....im in a difficult situation right now...we had this car since May 2013 at 37,000 miles from a rent enterprise dealership im not negligent or abuse this car in any way I always have it oil change...it has 48,000 plus miles now... when I look up in the internet I read some related complaints about Dodge Avenger they also have the same problem the car just dies stalled....very unsafe in the streets I don't want something happened to me while im in the fwy.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Avenger

Rear shifts side ways when going over any bump or expansion joint on road. Driving in snow or ice is very dangerous because rear is always sliding back and forth had car checked and Dodge dealership found nothing wrong with the car. Aside from giving me a panic attack every time this happens, I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself or someone else in a terrible accident from this problem. Thought it was something with the rear sway bar being mounted in the wrong place or something with the electronic stability control malfunctioning. Also I thought it was the tires so I had all new tires put on and that obviously wasn't the problem. I'm scared to death to drive this car but it is my only option.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Oct 122012

Avenger 6-cyl

Driving on hilly road at about 60 mph car begins to studder and jerk. It smooths out on acceleration then repeats symptoms each time car travels around 60 mph. The symptoms go away after car is turned off then restart later in the drive.the symptoms now occurr on level roads also. Now in addition to the above symptoms, the car is stalling at low speeds of around 15 mph or less. It will start back up normally, but may stall again or not. It will often run erratically after this, a symptom often called 'missing', but no cylinder misfire code is set.

- Farmerville, LA, USA

Mar 012012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk violently when accelerating from a complete stop or when attempting to brake to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the mechanic informed her that the manufacturer was aware of the failure and they were working on a solution. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 15,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Mar 012012

Avenger

I have purchased 3 Dodge Avengers 2010 and 2011. Each of the cars are doing the same thing stalls while driving I thought it was the transmission. I have taken the cars back to the dealer on numerous occasions 5 to 6 times and the tech could not find anything wrong. I was driving my kids to school and began to press the gas from the light and it turned off the car behind me almost hit us. I was driving going 10 mph and the car turned off. I was in a school zone. I was at a stop light and it stalls. I cannot understand this and the techs are oblivious also. I have had enough and I just purchased this car.

- Miramar, FL, USA