2014 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Dodge Avenger:

2014 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Nov 142016

Avenger

My 2014 Dodge Avenger has a faulty tipm. This has caused my car to lose all electrical power including engine stalling, lack of power steering, and no lights while driving down a busy highway at night. This happened several times. Once it happened while I was turning through a busy intersection! now it has caused my wipers to stop working! this is and has been a safety hazard. Chrysler has known about this and has tried to ignore, deny, even cover it up since before 2008. Hundreds of thousands of owners have been dangerously affected by this. I don't know why this hasn't been front page news! as an uber and lyft driver I can't make a living now because of this. Chrysler has already been sued over this and need to be continued to be held accountable. They have given no effort to recall all of the affected vehicles yet, only a few models that were heavily mentioned in the lawsuit. This is an outrage. This part costs at least $1000 for the consumer to replace only to be endangered by it yet again. Chrysler has acted lazily and unscrupulously regarding this matter and I need my vehicle fixed. American consumers deserve better than this. This kind of behavior from a car manufacturer is unacceptable. We must have a no charge recall asap.

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Sep 042016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Avenger. While the vehicle was in park, the vehicle sputtered and stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the sensor in the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,500.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Aug 122016

Avenger

I was in a car accident as of March, I had front damage hit pretty hard at least the passenger air bag should have deployed but after I got my car back it started cutting off for no reason. I took it back to auto shop that fixed it when the check engine light came on due to revving up between the 3 and 5 RPM and barely moving the lightest touch it would stay stuck between those even slowing down to less 25 mph as soon as step on the gas it will shoot right back up between 3 and 5 RPM and rev.. I would have to pull over turn my car off and turn the key really hard to turn on and it would go back regular. My car randomly cuts off when stopped at lights or when coming to a stop. If I am in reverse and start to back up it stalls, jerks then cuts off. The dealership and auto shop are not finding anything "wrong" with it. Unknown of what paticular system this is I was told fuel line but I think its the engine the check engine light will come on and then go back. It is happening on and off and no one will look at it unless im paying out of pocket this started happening around 30,000 miles.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Apr 302016

Avenger

I was driving my car and as I came to a light my car started to idle really rough like it was going to stall the rpms went all the way down to almost 200rpm then I put the car in neutral and hit the gas a bit so it wouldn't stall and it revved up to 1000 RPM and then shut off completely and the electronic throttle control light flashed at me. Then I restarted my car and there were no lights on. The car was idleing really rough. I have the 2.4L I-4. its never ran that way before so I continued to drive and about twenty minutes later it did the same exact thing. I am out of my bumper to bumper warranty so a dealer wanted 100 just to take a look at the car I went to autozone to have the computer scanned and he said their were no codes. He told me he didn't know what the issues could be either. This is the 5th time this has happened to me. The other day when I was backing pulling out of my driveway I went to put it in reverse it wouldn't go into reverse then all of a sudden as I was giving it a little bit of gas it slammed into reverse it almost felt like the transmission fell out of the car. And it chirped the tires. Then after I backed out my engine stalled and the etc light came on. ( electronic throttle control)then I attempted to start my car and it drove fine like nothing had happened.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 232015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Avenger. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The check engine and ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. While driving 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to come to a halt. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact sustained minor bruises that required medical attention. The front passenger did not sustain any injuries, but required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene to an auto body repair center where the mechanic was unable to diagnose the vehicle based on the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Marathon, NY, USA

Mar 152015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Avenger. While driving out of the driveway, the vehicle made a loud screeching noise that sounded as if something were loose and about to fall off from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake pads were faulty. The brake pads were replaced, but the failure recurred. The contact also stated that the vehicle emitted hot air from the driver side underneath the dashboard. The hot air intensified while driving approximately 50 mph. The dealer stated that the hot air was normal. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 12,000. MA 10/23/15

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Aug 042014

Avenger

My vehicle will randomly stall. No check engine lights or anything. Normally it will be when I need to turn, I will slow down almost to a stop and then hit the gas. It has stalled twice now and the other times it feels like it is going to.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Jul 182015

Avenger 4-cyl

I was trying to reverse after making a U-turn on a business avenue in queens, NY and after turning around, I put the car in reserve to go back a little bit to complete my U-turn, and my car would not reverse, instead moves forward, even though the vehicle was put into reverse position. I turn off the engine and turn it back on, put the car in reverse, and it continues to do the same thing. Someone help me push it back while in neutral and I then put it in drive and it was ok after that. My children was in the car with me and this happened on a busy ave. I am concerned for the safety for everyone. My children are always with me in my car. Please take a closer look at this problem with my car and many others. Thank you.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jun 142014

Avenger

This has been going on now for over a 1 year. My car engine just shuts off for no reason. I have taken it in had it towed in and multi Dodge dealership mechanics looks at it. Nobody can figure out why it does it. They have duplicated the problem lots of times but don't know why it happens. Every mechanic refuses to document in the systems that this is happening because they can't fix the problem but I make them all right on my copy of the service paperwork that they did duplicate it and what they did to protect me.the only thing they have every change is the erg valve but it still happens to this day. This is a huge safety issue.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 012014

Avenger

I was driving and the car just cut back, it act as though it wanted to stall. It did this a few times. I had to go to the dealership and have my warning lights on the dash reset 3 times. They always had a reason why this happened. I will never get another Avenger that's for sure. I love Dodge but I have always had a Caravan used and this car had 9miles on it when I brought it Dec 2013 I have not had it a whole year yet and I've been to the shop 4 times already.

- Petersburg , VA, USA