Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Jul 162016

Bought car used in 2014. Within a week the maniverter needed replaced. Dash lights recently stopped working while driving at night. Cannot see speedometer or other gauges at night. Transmission stops working when it is hot out, trans temp light comes on and trans shuts down when driving on highways which has almost caused numerous accidents. Car stalls several times after filling with gas causing dangerous situations when driving especially pulling out into traffic after filling gas tank. Control arms and ball joints on front of car replaced with parts from Dodge dealer and are bad for a second time. We will never buy another Dodge vehicle.

- Clifton Heights, PA, USA

Oct 012014

I bought this car used with a 90 day full warranty and 2 year power train. In the first 90 days I took the car back to Toyota used lot who in turn took it to Dodge to investigate the loose steering and also the stalling issues. Dodge repeatedly said nothing is wrong. To date, a year later, they wont fix the fuel pump which I have learned is a known issue on this model/year and causes stalling. I have stalled on the freeway and have children.... its very upsetting.

- Rising Sun, IN, USA

Sep 112015

Our car was purchased used two years ago and always had an issue with hesitation with both acceleration and idling after completely filling the gas tank. Last week it started having the same hesitation/sputtering issue but without having recently filled up the gas tank. It sputters/hesitates to accelerate while going anywhere between 20-30 mph (we did not take it on the freeway out of fearing it would die going faster so we are unsure how it does at higher speeds). It also started to stall while idling at a stop light. It started up again fine both times it died but continued to hesitate while accelerating. Our radio hasn't come on a few times when we start the car (this has happened approximately ten times since we've had the car) and the fuse is fine. We pop the fuse out and put it back in and the radio starts up fine again. We are taking it to a mechanic on Saturday to have the system "updated" because we saw there was a bulletin about our model of car needing an update, but I'm fairly sure this has to do with the tipm after reading other people's stories online.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Jul 182015

My car was parked, upon trying to start the car, no luck. Had the car towed to the dealer. Fuel pump was the initial diagnosis, but then also the wiring harness was melted. $642.69 later my car was running. Not a happy camper.

- Clayton, DE, USA

Sep 062015

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While in park, the vehicle failed to start. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the fuel pump was melted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 183,000.

- Jeffersonville, KY, USA

Nov 202014

Was driving home one night and my car stared losing power at lower speeds. After getting off the interstate and turning left from a complete stop my car died. This stop, go, die cycle continued all the way home next morning get ready to go to work and nothing. Turned out the flue pump and wire harness had melted and burnt up. Luky we didn't burn up too. With I could upload pictures here.

- Greenville , AL, USA

May 282014

Car quit running. Mechanic found top of fuel pump wiring burnt and hole melted through top of fuel pump.

- Atl, GA, USA

Oct 172013

While driving my 2007 Dodge Caliber with my two young kids in the back my electronic throttle control light on the dashboard came on about 30 seconds later my car would not accelerate. I was able to pull into a parking lot without causing an accident. After buying a E.T.C. and having it replaced about 12 months later the etc went out again this time on the highway while doing 65 mph my car would no longer accelerate the etc had rusted closed again. Liking online some of these cars have been recalled for an issue withthe etc. I'm afraid for my family's safety there's no warning other than a light and moments later your car iisno longer accelerating.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 042015

My car has stalled several times. Started in December 2014 car stalled an I turned it back on basically turning heat off. Since then it randomly sputtered. Driving a month later it shut off on me while driving, I turned heat off again thinking it was that. Took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. A month later engine light comes on an code is the one for gas cap. I bought a new one, 2 weeks later while parked waiting for my kids to come out of school my car dies acting like it wants to start. Later to find out the problem is the fuel pump! the wires inside fuel pump and the harness were burnt up ! it's really wired and fixed. I didn't get a new fuel pump just new wires. Can someone please let me know their situation! I'm scared to even get back in the car especially with two kids who sit in the back seat

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Feb 162015

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While in park, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and then to a dealer who were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. In addition, three weeks later while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The oil pressure warning light illuminated as the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Richmond, TX, USA

May 252007

Caliber 4-cyl

This is another issue I've had with this car since I bought it back around thanksgiving 2006. The cars fuel gauge does not give an accurate reading. I've found info about this problem online which involves replacing the fuel sending unit hoses or something. I called Chrysler about this and I cant believe they do not cover the cost of this obvious defect. Tons of info on the web about this one too. I've lived with this issue as well as my numerous suspension problems. Thankfully I know my cars mpg's so I can calculate where my fuel tank should be using the trip odometer like I do on my motorcycle - still very annoying and should be fixed free of charge.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Mar 152011

This has happened many times before yesterday. While driving on the freeway, the check engine light comes on, and the car go into a "limp" mode (very little power), and even at full pedal, it slowly slows down. Having had it happen several times before, I learned to pull over, and shut off the car, and let it set for a few minutes. Sometimes times this is not easy, or safe to do. Then it is hard to restart, but will drive somewhat better. This allows me to get to a place that I can shut it off for an extended amount of time (1/2 hour), and then it runs more like normal, but the check engine light stay on for several days. After the check engine light goes out, it is running normal again until the next time. So far, this has not caused an accident, but I'm sure somebody will be hurt or killed before this gets recalled. Good luck follow drivers.

- Three Oaks, MI, USA

Jan 232014

Vehicle rolled to a stop along the road. Was unable to restart. I removed the rear seat to inspect the fuel pump and connections. Both the top of the plastic fuel pump and it's plastic connection was melted from an electrical melt down, just millimeters from the full gas tank. This could've result in an explosion and fatality. Apparently from what I've been reading online this is quite common with this model. Something needs to be done before there is a fatality.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

May 142013

Caliber 4-cyl

My engine stalls when at stop light/signs. This happens after refueling the car. I heard of other Chrysler/Dodge models that have had the same problem that are being investigated though my car is not the same engine or years being looked at. Engine is 2.4 L. it does this for up to about 10 times and I can keep it running in neutral and revving the engine. Not sure of the date that I first notices this but has been happening for about a year or so. Mileage and date are from latest time.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 152012

Caliber 4-cyl

Engine warning lights flash, warning check engine light disappear, reappear at will, wont start, system failure, loss of power, speed limit acute loss of power, stalling of engine while at freeway speeds, stalling out at 35-40 mph speeds, noise at gas pedal.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Sep 232012

Caliber 4-cyl

After days of car hesitating and trying to stall, vehicle broke down and was unable to be started in parking lot of local grocery store. Vehicle was towed home and after further investigation was found to be a faulty fuel pump causing the issue. The fuel pump was changed. Old fuel pump was factory part, and was found to have burnt wiring and melted pins. After further investigation have found this is a common problem, and am severely concerned as to why part was never recalled. Between towing, fuel pump, and also battery change from cranking car trying to get it to start, repairs were over $350.

- Dunbar, PA, USA

Aug 132012

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the fuel pump ignited and burning fumes started to emit into the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and stated that a plug on top of the fuel pump melted and became exposed to the fuel vapors. As a result, the wiring harness and fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 177,000.

- New Lisbon, WI, USA

Apr 102012

Caliber 4-cyl

A small brass bushing fell on my right foot one day while driving. I picked it up and put it in the console cup holder. A few days later while accelerating onto the highway the gas pedal stuck and the engine revved. This has happened a few times since. I called Chrysler to check if my Caliber was covered under the gas pedal recall. I was told the recall only covered vehicles from a certain date range. My Caliber was manufactured 2/06.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

May 142012

Caliber 4-cyl

When pumping gas I cannot allow it to 'fill up' because the gas will leak out instead of telling the handle to stop pumping gas as it normally should. I am aware that Dodge durango had a recall on this very matter, yet the Caliber has not. I have to keep track of how many gallons I put in so as not to let it over flow. Am I the only owner of a Dodge Caliber having this issue with the fuel system/gasoline?

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA