2008 Dodge Caliber drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 152012

Caliber 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the 2008 Dodge Caliber loss power and began to decrease speed. I stepped on the accelerator but the car did not respond. I exited the freeway, and after I was stopped at a light, I attempted to accelerate, but again, the vehicle would not respond. When it did, it jerked repeatedly until it was able to accelerate. While driving the car loss power again. Additionally, the check engine light was on for a few months prior, a knocking noise would come from the engine, and a mechanic advised me that the transmission needed to be replaced. Lastly, when it rains, the back seat passenger side and floor was inundated with water.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 012013

Caliber 4-cyl

I was making a turn and the passenger side tie rod broke. This is the third time I have had to replace a tie rod. Thank god my kids were not in the car or I wasn't on the highway. When is some gonna do something about this. People have had more than one bad experience with this. Dodge needs to step up and fix these cars!! this will B the last Dodge I ever buy.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Nov 152012

Caliber 4-cyl

My 17 yr old daughter was driving our 2008 Dodge Caliber when acceleration was lost. The car started shaking when she tried to give it fuel and the electronic throttle system like came on. Needless to say, she was very shaken by this ordeal. We have an extended warranty that we purchased through carmax, with a $300 deductible, however the warranty company would only pay $144 dollars of the $647 total bill. The car has approx 70,000 miles so I don't understand why the throttle system would be defective. According to the repair shop, the needle inside the throttle that feeds the fuel was defective. Luckily my daughter was not on the main highway when it went out, otherwise it could have been more serious. I am voicing my complaint on this part and all be ware of the throttle needle going bad. I will also make this a formal complaint with Dodge as well.

- Kingston Springs, TN, USA

Oct 112012

As you start to drive the transmission begins to make a loud whinning noise as you speed up it got higher pitched. Took to dealer 10/12/12 after paying $112 for them to tell me the transmission was bad and needed replaced. The cost of that was going to be $3700 and there was no assistants by dealership. Informed me that it is a problem with cvt trans because it is unservicable. Took to local trans shop paid $3200 for a remanufactured, was suggested that we get rid of car because they feel it will happen again. Worst warr. Ever an trans of 18month 18,000 mile. Called Dodge directly and the declined to help in anyway told me that there is no problem listed with these cars or trans.

- South Bend , IN, USA

Aug 062012

Caliber 4-cyl

Driving the car down the road at approximately 35 mph and all of a sudden the electronic throttle control light comes on. The car lost engine power will running very rough. Car would not accelerate and became hard to handle. Was eventually able to get the car to the side of the road. I was on a city street. If this had happened on a very busy street or the highway I could have been stuck right in the middle of traffic with no or very little power to get it out of the road. This could have been a very dangerous situation at higher speeds or more traffic. There was no warning other then the light that came on when it happened.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Sep 012010

Caliber 4-cyl

2008 Dodge Caliber stopped accelerating normally in September 2010 at about 43,000 miles (and about 6 months after I bought it from a Mazda dealership). I took it to several transmission shops who all said they couldn't help, but had heard of many similar problems with this vehicle. I finally took it to the dealership for a diagnosis and was told the whole transmission needed to be replaced (at about $4000). This diagnosis seems to be very different from the throttle issue that I've read about online. I was told it might hurt the powertrain further to continue driving it, so the car is still sitting in my drive way as a non-op. I don't understand how Dodge is getting away with this, when so many similar complaints exist (most of which are within the warranty).

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 042012

Caliber 4WD 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 60mph my car lost power and would only go about 10-15 mph for approximately 15 miles, when I finally found a place that I could leave the car it was only idling. Upon taking it to the Chrysler dealer was told it will cost approximately $500 to fix that the throttle body does not know what it wants to do. I asked if it would be covered under the lifetime power train warranty as the warranty does not exclude it and was advised that it is not covered. I have read on the internet that there is a major issue with both the 2007 and 2008 throttle body going out. This is rediculous that Chrysler has not addressed this issue and is not covering it under the warranty since the car will not drive safely under these conditions, does it take someone being killed because they all of a sudden lose power and get hit. If they are going to give this type of warranty then they should cover it and if it is not covered they should be responsible to list it as a non covered item and people should be informed when purchasing the vehicle. Power train....throttle body.....without the throttle body you have no power. Sounds pretty simple to me.. this should be covered.

- Gravois Mills, MO, USA

Apr 212011

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 10 mph. During the failure, the electronic throttle control system warning light began illuminating on the dashboard. The vehicle was pulled over and towed to an independent repair shop where they were unable to diagnose the failure because the warning light was no longer illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. Approximately three weeks later, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 49,000 and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 05/26/11 updated 2/9/12

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 292010

2008 Dodge Caliber - currently at the dealership for $700 in repairs. They state that the throttle body assembly needs to be replaced. The car would randomly and suddenly bogg down upon normal acceleration--very dangerous when pulling into traffic-- and the electronic throttle control light would illuminate either momentarily or flash. It would not go above 10 mph when this happened. Research on the internet has revealed many, many complaints about the same issue. Dodge takes no responsibility for this claiming it not to be a covered part of the powertrain warranty. When questioned, the dealership stated that when carbon begins to form that "apparently the entire inside of the throttle body unit carbs up". I asked, "do you mean normal carbon formation that happens in all engines." The response was, yes and that they recommend a "carb cleanout" every 30,000 miles (mine is at 53,000). I then asked (knowing the answer) if that was maintenance that was included with other maintenance in the manual. Of course, the reply was "no". this failure, when it happens, presents and extremely dangerous situation. It only had to put me in a bad predicament once before I headed to the dealership. The mere fact that the dealership seemed to be aware of this excessive carbon problem makes me feel that they do, indeed, have some responsibility to this issue. I have read complaint after complaint on the internet regarding this problem. One unfortunate man was hit by a gasoline truck when this occurred. It's unfortunate that more people don't know to come here and file a formal complaint rather than posting on blogs to try to help others. I implore whomever has the authority to investigate this matter before someone is killed.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA