2008 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 082014

Caliber

The lights and all dash gauges turn off while driving and all the warning lights on the dash come on. The engine light stays on until the car is turned off. When restarting all lights go away. This happens most often when when I am braking. No pattern for when or what speed. ABS seems to kick in for no reason during this electrical failure. Power has been lost and car has died while driving. I am told this is the tpim module fault that requires replacement for $1,500! there is large and common problem with this tpim and Dodge has wrongly not provided a recall for the Caliber.

- Rubicon, WI, USA

Oct 232014

Caliber

I first expericed the eletronic throttle control problem last month when I was on my way home and lost power while driving took it to a local mechanic and he said he would look at it.. when I got the car back he said he cleaned the throttle sensor and shouldnt have any issues payed $75. Well a couple of days ago the battery light came on and was on the entire day then went off. Now when it came back on and the electronic throttle light came on with it. The car would not go over 2 miles as I was driving towards the light I had to immediately turned off the car and turn back on. Thankfully there was no one at the light behind me when I did that. But I researched online and seen that many other has had this issue with their cars dating back 2007. My car is a 2008 which seem to have been fine till now. I have had the altenator go out and replaced followed by the battery being replaced that same week. I'm afraid to get on the highway with the car now. It's kind of scary to be on the road and have the car just stop on you. And have someone behind you not prepared to be stopping so quickly. I pick my grand baby up from school and I would hate to have this happen while she is in the car. I want to see if there was a recall on these vehicles with this problem but don't know where to look. I haven't put the milage down because im at work putting in this report and its dark. But the mileage is well over 150,000.

- Foley, AL, USA

Sep 212014

Caliber

Hi I got my power module replaced like 2 time in the past year and it went out again and it's we're all of my fuzes are connected to so my head light dose it work and I got pulled over like 8 times and just different things has been burning out. Thank U

- Mentor , OH, USA

Aug 142014

Caliber

I am writing to discuss a possible danger in the design of the fuse box. The fuse box under the hood of the Dodge Caliber appears to allow too much moisture beyond the upper seal. Every 10,15, and 20 amp MINIfuse develops excessive oxidation on the contacts. The oxidation may cause malfunctions in two ways. The first is phantom error codes and check engine lights. The second is the cvt transmission may slip out of gear while driving causing sudden loss of drive power and lead to collisions. Another issue that concerns me is the potential for circuits to overheat resulting in electrical fires under the dash and under the hood of the Caliber.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 102014

Caliber

Horn started going off randomly. Sometimes short bursts and sometimes long sustained honks. Took car to the dealer and was told the tipm is failing. Car has also just shut down while driving.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 022014

Caliber

We were noticing the car being sluggish and not wanting to pick up speed so we made an appointment to get it looked at. Before that could happen the electronic throttle control light popped on when I was going through an intersection, the car wouldn't go above 20mph and felt like it wanted to stall out. I took my foot off the gas and the etc light went off after a few seconds. I was lucky it was very early in the morning and the intersection was empty. I continued on my way to work about 1/2 mile and the etc came back on. I managed to get it to work and parked it. I looked up what the light means and proceeded to google what it was for my car. I was socked by how many people have had this exact problem for the make and model. I couldn't believe this issue was not known or recalled. Car owners should have been made aware of this issue before it became a hazard. I left work and prayed my car would make it the 1/2 mile to my home. Unfortunately, the etc light came back on then started flashing. After reading other car owners posts I decided not to risk staling it on a bridge so I coasted it into a gas station were it chugged out. I walked the rest of the way home in 85 degree weather. We towed the car to our repair place, they hooked it up to the computer to read the codes, then they reset the controls hoping it would by pass a glitch. It didn't. they then had us bring the car to a Dodge dealer to be repaired. The dealer was familiar with he problem "this happens all the time with these cars." They couldn't get to it until after the fourth of July weekend. They installed the replacement throttle body $272.42 (part 4891735ac) at a cost of $566 total. We just got the car back today. It is running smoother but only time will tell if the problem was fixed.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Jun 162014

Caliber

Driving down the street at about 30mph and the car started jerking really bad the soon it died I went down and diagnosed it, come to find out the throttlebody is bad and seems to have happened to almost every Caliber sebring owner.

- Barling , AR, USA

May 122014

Caliber

First time Dodge owner and never again...as I was driving at 45 mph first my battery light came on then 10 seconds later all the panel lights came in car lost all power but never shut down I pulled off 6 lane intersection to a safe location and turned car off and it would not start back I wait 2 hrs in 90degree heat 6 months pregnant for a tow truck I call Dodge dealer and they said 160 to look at it but sounds like fuse box or something like that. Said typical in these cars so I just had the car towed home because I can't afford to dish out all kinds of money. Just under a year ago I replaced the alternator and battery again not cheap.... nothing but problems with this car and as soon as I am able I am getting rid of it.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 062014

Caliber

While driving my children to school, my car began shutting down on a major road putting mychildren and myself in danger. The throttle control light came on. After turning the car off and waiting a couple of minutes I was able to drive extremely slow to ge them to school safely. This sounds similar to the same problems currently happening with the Chevy cobalts. Is it going to take Chrysler/Dodge killing people before this gets recalled? I encourage everyone to contact their local news stations along with national news stations! car companies are only interested in making their money and not looking at the safety issues of the death traps they are selling to consumers. I will be endlessly pursuing this matter until Dodge steps up and pay for the repair! I will call every news station until some attention is brought to this matter and holding car companies like Dodge/Chrysler responsible for selling and manufacturing faulty vehicles. I have gone through all complaints listed on this site and numerous others. Someone is not doing their job!

- Waco , TX, USA

Jan 072014

Caliber

Car was already warmed and driven for about 5 miles, after stopping at a gas station to refuel and re-starting, it was idling very inconsistently and running rough, shaking. There was a dash indicator for electronic throttle control flashing. I tried driving it and there was jerking and pulling and the transmission wouldn't shift past 2nd, car would not accelerate beyond 12-15 mph. I made it home (about 2 miles) and left the car for about 6 hours. Upon restarting and warming, the car drove fine. About 1 1/2 weeks later, the same dash light came on, steady not flashing, car rumbled, then light went off and the car was fine. This happened on and off for about 2 weeks. Then, when ready to leave from work one day, I started the car to warm it and the indicator light came on and stayed on, the car was running very rough, idle was fluctuating between about 500-1500 rpms and shaking. I left the car, assuming when I came back the next day it would start and be fine just like the 2 times before, but that was not the case. I drove the car to a nearby mechanic, maxing out at about 15 mph, strangely the car seemed to pick up speed when I eased off the accelerator, and steady loss of speed while going up hill. The mechanic could not fix or even diagnose the problem, said it has to go to the dealer. It seems to be something to do with the throttle control. I will update it once I hear from the dealer later today.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jan 172014

Caliber 4-cyl

I was on my way to work and getting onto a freeway entrance, when right when I was merging, my car completely lost throttle control and bogged down. It was very foggy outside and a semi truck almost ran into the back of my car. I was able to get off the freeway and home with my car in what is known as limp mode. There was no check engine light, only a red lightning bolt light, and my esp (traction control) was on also. Upon doing some research I have found that the electronic throttle body goes out in these cars quite a bit. No body in my city had one and luckily I was able to source one from another state. Everyone that was out said they were on back order. This further confirmed my thoughts that this is a common problem along with reading about 10 other cases and a car forum where this has happened to many member there also. I understand things wear down and break and need to be replaced, but with my car only having 70,000 miles on it I find it a little ridiculous, and on that forum there are some where their throttle bodies have gone out at 30,000 miles. I'm just surprised that no body has been seriously injured or killed in accident because of this issue. One particular member on the forum I read he stated that the car had completely died on him in the middle of a busy intersection. I have a 4 year old son and it just bugs me to think that what if I had him in the car and that semi wasn't able to move out of the way in time? all I'm asking is that Dodge either makes a better quality throttle body and puts out a recall or at least replaces the throttle body under the recall for free. I have wrote to Dodge customer complaint department, but have not heard anything back so I figured maybe I would try here and see if anything can be done.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Jun 012013

Caliber 4-cyl

Vehicle is an automatic, 2.0L engine. While at a stop, in any gear, foot on or off the brake, my car will idle roughly, rpms fluctuate rapidly between 200-900 or higher, and the vehicle will sometimes stall and shut down while doing this. This rough idle and stalling out will also happen while slowing down/decelerating, as well as accelerating from a stop or slower speeds. The issue tends to happen more when the engine temperature has warmed up a bit from normal driving, but has occurred at lower temperatures as well. I have taken the vehicle to my local Dodge dealership at least three times in the past three months; on the first visit, they replaced the PCV valve, ignition coil, and spark plugs ($400); on the next two visits, they claim they cannot replicate the issue, and no error codes appear on their diagnostic computers. I have had the fuel injectors cleaned, and had other mechanics inspect the car; they cannot find any needed repairs or error codes, but they have been able to replicate the issue. The car continues to experience this issue, no matter what repairs I have done. I am in contact with Chrysler/Dodge corporate customer relations, and have an open case with them, though they and the dealership state my car "has no warranty with Dodge, " and thus the issue isn't covered, nor do I have any claim to financial support from Chrysler/Dodge. My vehicle is currently at my local Dodge dealership, in hopes they might finally be able to replicate the issue and find a cause/fix.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Jun 052013

Caliber

I have replaced the bulbs multiple times on the turn signals. The brake lights continue to come on and off at their leisure. Sometimes, the turn signals on the front work and sometimes not. This is becoming a regular incident and is very dangerous since I drive long distances frequently. I also have been stopped by law enforcement several times for defective bulbs, luckily only warnings so far.

- Sneads, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Caliber 4-cyl

The main issue is not being able to take the car out of "park" when it is running. For the past year it has happened intermittently. The last 2 days none of my trying and retrying to get it out of park works. Also, my windshield wipers come on whenever they feel like it. Mostly upon starting. I also cannot reset my change oil light.

- Crescent Valley, NV, USA

Jul 172013

Caliber 4-cyl

After turning on my car it began to lunge while in idle. As I attempted to back it out of the driveway the accelerator pedal had little to no effect. The car would not drive more than 10 mph, still lunging. The indicator light for the electronic throttle control (etc) lit up and started blinking. I took it into the dealer and the diagnostic ($150) proved it to be the etc. The etc kit needed to be replaced which apparently is a "dealer only" part. This is such a common occurrence for Dodge that the etc kit is on back order and will not be available for 2 weeks! not to mention the part costs $600+. and by the way, I had to have the transmission replaced in 2011!

- Martinez, CA, USA

Jan 122013

Caliber 4-cyl

While driving a 2008 Dodge Caliber SE in a street between 40mph and 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly shutdown itself. Five second later and after pulling over as close as I could to the curve of the road, the car died. I tried to restart the engine to move it out of the way of the traffic, but the vehicle did not start. Smoke started coming out under the hood, and after further examination, I saw sparks and smoke coming out off the fuses' box. I disconnected the battery and waited for the smoke to clear up. Using a flash light, I found out that one of the circuit card in the totally integrated power module (tipm) shorted and melted part of the plastic cover. The vehicle couldn't be put in neutral, and the break pedal and steering wheel were inoperative. If this incident happened in a high way, I am sure that the incoming traffic could have hit my car with speed over 65mph due to suddenly deceleration and lack of vehicle's response to the driver's commands. My wife, three years old daughter and I could have been involved in a fatal crash.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 172012

Caliber

I was on my way to work, headlights and dash lights started to flicker, all the indicator light on the dash came on. Smoke started coming in the vents into the vehicle went to stop, brakes grabbed for a second then went out completely, even shifting the vehicle to park did nothing. Stopped the vehicle by hitting guard rail called police, within minutes the entire front end was in flames.

- Blossburg, PA, USA

Sep 192012

Caliber

2008 Dodge Caliber. While driving at 60 mph the battery charging light came on. Next day took car to auto store to have battery tested and they replaced the battery. Next morning at 2:00 am while driving my husband to work, all lights on panel started coming on one at a time and car lost power and we coasted to the side of the freeway. The car is at the shop today and mechanics are trying to figure out what happened. They noted the battery was bad, but I just had a new battery put in and they stated the started was not bad. What is wrong so I can get it fixed. Also change oil light always comes on even when I have just had the oil changed; which I do every 3,000 miles. The current mileage on vehicle is 57,000 miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Caliber

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle made a clucking noise. The vehicle was taken to the local mechanic. The failure was located at the rear tie rod and strut having defective material. The ignition also failed and could not be turned. The rear tie rod strut and ignition was replaced. The vehicle was repaired but continued exhibiting a noise from the rear. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 74,176.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Sep 012010

Caliber 4-cyl

2008 Dodge Caliber stopped accelerating normally in September 2010 at about 43,000 miles (and about 6 months after I bought it from a Mazda dealership). I took it to several transmission shops who all said they couldn't help, but had heard of many similar problems with this vehicle. I finally took it to the dealership for a diagnosis and was told the whole transmission needed to be replaced (at about $4000). This diagnosis seems to be very different from the throttle issue that I've read about online. I was told it might hurt the powertrain further to continue driving it, so the car is still sitting in my drive way as a non-op. I don't understand how Dodge is getting away with this, when so many similar complaints exist (most of which are within the warranty).

- Bakersfield, CA, USA