2009 Dodge Caliber steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

2009 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Nov 252014

This car attempted to kill me twice. First the subframe rotted out due to bad design. We noticed this as the struts were being replaced - also because of bad design. This was noticed in 2014 (on a 2009 vehicle!) cost me over $1,000 to fix - Dodge offered no help at all. Later in 2014 - the front drivers side arm separated from wheel, causing wheel to pop off. If I was going any faster than the 10 mph I was going (headed to highway!), I could have been killed. Again contacted Dodge and no assistance. They recalled the 2007 but not this model year for these problems. Pictures attached. I hope someone holds this company accountable! cars should not cost thousands of dollars to repair in year 5!!!

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

May 242016

My son was driving this car to work noticed a severe change to the steering. It cause him to veer into the other lane and luckily there was no other oncoming traffic. He was able to drive it onto work and called me to let me know of the problem. After driving just 10 feet it was obvious that it was un-drivable and unsafe. After calling the towing service they suggested that I call Dodge to see if there was a recall since they had already towed other Dodge of similar years with a rusted/ broken sub frames. Call local dealer with the VIN and ask to if there was any recalls for a broken sub frame. They stated that there was not a recall and did not offer to make a repair even at my cost. I took it to a local service center who had seen the same problem before on other Dodge and was familiar with the repair. After $600 for the part and $600 for labor the repair was made on a car with 89,000 miles. While the car was getting repaired I was able to tell a co-worker about the recall for the exact same issue on her 2007 Caliber which I discovered while researching. She was able to get hers repaired with no charge. Contacted Dodge and since there is no recall they are not willing to pay for the repair at this point. They know that there is problem so I guess that means Dodge stands for Dodge responsibility at the cost of the consumer. I not be purchasing any mopar products in the future.

- Sidney, OH, USA

Jan 182016

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn over to start the vehicle. Also, the steering wheel was extremely tight and difficult to turn when the vehicle was in motion. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would stall without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 166,500.

- Union, GA, USA

Mar 152014

2009 Dodge Caliber, within 3 months of buying vehicle, as is, started having acceleration problems, brake and suspension problems. Took vehicle to dealer, was informed I needed suspension bar and struts replaced which would cost over $800. About the same time my transmission overheat light started coming on, I loose power and have to pull over on the side of the road for 15-30 minutes before vehicle would drive again. Go approx. 23 miles at a time when same problem occurs. Worse in the summer time. Today, my electronic throttle control light, malfunction indication light and engine overheat light came on and remains on every time I start the vehicle. Vehicle will not accelerate without getting up between 3 & 4 RPM's. not much power. When hitting a bump or ice at stopping point, vehicle jumps ahead instead of stopping, almost causing me to rear end several times. Tons of complaints about these same issues. Something must be done. I paid $10700 for my vehicle. Cant even afford to get it fixed as repairs are now estimated over $4200. This is not right to do to people...

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 212015

The 2009 Dodge Caliber was deemed unsafe and unable to pass a Maine safety inspection. The front and rear cross sub frames were heavily rusted and completely rusted through in several places.

- Monmouth, ME, USA

Mar 012012

Car started falling apart at around 48K tie rods. Control arms. Struts. Bushings. Ball joints. Bearings. Sway bar links. Lateral arm bushings. Upper control arm bushings. Upper tow links. Front strut mounts. My latest repair bill (today) is $1500 and the car has only 60K on it. The catalytic converter is also slated for replacement as soon as the dealer gets it in. I am a very conservative driver and always keep my car serviced. I bought this car brand new. The suspension on this car is a menace. The blower motor also went at 48K (a safety issue in my northern mn winters) and the rear defroster only has two or three lines that work. The power steering unit is also losing fluid and I will have to have that repaired as well. I am more than happy to provide a print out from Firestone auto repair.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 022013

Caliber 4-cyl

Lower driver side ball joint failed.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Apr 252011

The ABS sensors in both the left and right rear tire wells are suddenly bad at the same time. This is causing the electronic stability control (ESC) to not work properly; sending the car into a skid. ESC is to assist drivers in maintaining control of their vehicles during extreme steering maneuvers. ESC senses when a vehicle is starting to spin (oversteer) or plow (understeer), and attempts to correct the vehicle?S course by automatically controlling the throttle and applying the brakes at individual wheels.

- Oviedo, FL, USA